Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

hooked up stereo, car died, no power.. help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hooked up stereo, car died, no power.. help!

Hooked up aftermarket cd player in my 86 TA. Everything worked fine... memory was working, hooked up power antenna to ACC... Tried to start engine, went completely dead. Tried to jump it, and it melted all 4 jumper cable terminals... WTF happened?? Anyone have an idea?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 PM

Car: 1992 RS 25th Anniversary Edition
Engine: 192
Transmission: 700r4
Re: hooked up stereo, car died, no power.. help!

well idk but heres something to check. Did you tug on any wires? When i hooked up mine i accidentally pulled out the wiring harness connected to my shifter. Its like a sefety or something. The car wouldnt start so i thought about what i did for a few minutes and figured it out. scared the crap outta me tho. lol even if its not that exact problem im sure its something simple because i highly doubt that if you rip the stereo out of your car, the cars just gonna start again. Good luck
Old 09-07-2010, 06:31 PM

Im not too sure. I disconnected the radio, hooked up the jumper cables and touched the other 2 ends together and there was no spark so I completely fried my battery which is only a few months old. They guy that had it before me had EVERYTHING jacked up. All the factory wires were hooked to a harness, which was spliced into another harness ... Had to cut everything out and and start over. The thing that confuses me is that everything worked perfect before I attempted to start the car. It had power and right as it rolled over it made 1 click and NOTHING at all.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E

you've definitely got a short somewhere, the unfortunate part is finding where. start at your stereo and work your way out.

did you say you hooked up your radio power antenna out to your acc? or did you hook the actual antenna itself to acc? if its the first, there's your first problem.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:59 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 305 TPI

You might want to check out the vehicle that you used to jump it too. You essentially extended the short to the other car.