Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Discussion: Texture improvement on 3D printed double DIN radio bezel (Firebird)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: Red 1991 Firebird with digital dash
Engine: L03 V8 TBI
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Discussion: Texture improvement on 3D printed double DIN radio bezel (Firebird)

Hey pals

I realize it’s been a long time I have been absent from the forum and I wasn’t able to respond to the pm’s I got as well. Reason is, I had a relapse of my disease(s) and simply couldn’t be here. Now I’m fighting my way back into my old life. I’m still not fully recovered but I’m beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

As of now I’m slowly starting to answer all the questions and pm’s I got. I am really sorry for the long waiting and didn’t mean to let you guys down so please accept my honest apologies.

For the moment I will not be able to make the 3D prints myself as mechanical work is too much pain for my joints at the moment. I hope you find enough answers and guidance in this thread to finish your project yourself.

I will however be adapting the 3D files to house smaller and/or bigger radios in the next few days to weeks as I got many pm’s requesting different sizes for the opening.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
ThePain (05-11-2020)
Old 05-17-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Firebird 91
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: automatic
Re: Discussion: Texture improvement on 3D printed double DIN radio bezel (Firebird)

sorry but what is this?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2249678

and maybe depth or lifted, I think lifted, 0.1 mm
Old 05-17-2018, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by zero-21xx
sorry but what is this?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2249678

and maybe depth or lifted, I think lifted, 0.1 mm
What specifically is your question?

That checkered faceplate has not been printed and served only as an idea. This is the correct flat version: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2238132

Read the thread if you're interested in the checkered texture, I used a foil to have it look factory.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:03 PM
LDR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2012 Impala ltz 1988 Gta project

I have a local place that can print but I was wonder is there any way to get a single din instead? I hate the look of the face plates out there and would love the look of yours in a single cut. Not sure how hard it is to make the adjustments.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56

Any chance you can load the step files up on this forum for those of us that might want to modify this for our own need? I just ordered a print from shapeways in black nylon but I'm considering using one of the "cheap" china built Android head units and most of those come in non standard 2 DIN sizes.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56

Also where can you buy the little spring clips to go on the posts so I don't have to rob them off my existing one (my existing one is a NOS piece I got a few years ago so I don't want to steel parts from it).
Old 03-31-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aviator857
Any chance you can load the step files up on this forum for those of us that might want to modify this for our own need? I just ordered a print from shapeways in black nylon but I'm considering using one of the "cheap" china built Android head units and most of those come in non standard 2 DIN sizes.
Step files uploaded on Thingiverse, analog version includes a plain one without cutouts

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2238132 (analog)
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2241658 (digital)
Old 03-31-2019, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

I followed this thread for awhile, but I lost track until it resurfaced recently, so I hope you don't mind answering some questions that have probably already been asked and answered.

I believe you suggested using nylon for the face plate material? If that's not correct, then what would you suggest? Is color usually an option, or are material and color dependent upon availability from the printer, himself?

I've downloaded the folder for the plain analog face plate to my phone to take to a 3D printer, and I see that there are 5 files within that downloaded folder. Will the printer need all 5 files? If not, then which ones will he need/will he know which ones he'll need?

Regarding the earlier analog face plate with the factory-ish style design on it, is that a complete folder from which that plate can be printed? If I remember correctly, the print isn't accurate in some way. Embossed, maybe? If the plate is printable as it is, then the design is likely to be so slight after it's all sanded and painted, that its embossment isn't likely to be of concern to me.

When all is said and done, embossed or not, finished with a good-quality, smooth, glassy-looking black, then with a tight-fitting double din radio, none of it is likely to look very stock anyway. It will be the quality of the final finish that will make it or break it, IMO. So the more important thing to me, here, is that a size-accurate, good quality, double din representation of our stock face plate is available, and you've created that. I, as well as everyone else I'm sure, thank you for your efforts.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by LAFireboyd
I followed this thread for awhile, but I lost track until it resurfaced recently, so I hope you don't mind answering some questions that have probably already been asked and answered.

I believe you suggested using nylon for the face plate material? If that's not correct, then what would you suggest? Is color usually an option, or are material and color dependent upon availability from the printer, himself?
I got it printed from shapeways in Nylon
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/versatile-plastic
What convinced me about that material was its strength and heat resistance, as it can get quite hot in a car during the summer. So far it paid off. The color is always white, but you can get it dyed in a variety of colors - if you want to - or paint it yourself.

I've downloaded the folder for the plain analog face plate to my phone to take to a 3D printer, and I see that there are 5 files within that downloaded folder. Will the printer need all 5 files? If not, then which ones will he need/will he know which ones he'll need?
The step file is only one file. Not sure what those other files are. And be careful, the plain one doesn't have any cutouts, that's just for those who want to modify the design for their own needs!

Regarding the earlier analog face plate with the factory-ish style design on it, is that a complete folder from which that plate can be printed? If I remember correctly, the print isn't accurate in some way. Embossed, maybe? If the plate is printable as it is, then the design is likely to be so slight after it's all sanded and painted, that its embossment isn't likely to be of concern to me.
Yes, that file is complete. It's not accurate as the squares are embossed inwards, instead of outwards as in the OEM design. I never printed that one so I can't say whether it prints nicely.

When all is said and done, embossed or not, finished with a good-quality, smooth, glassy-looking black, then with a tight-fitting double din radio, none of it is likely to look very stock anyway. It will be the quality of the final finish that will make it or break it, IMO. So the more important thing to me, here, is that a size-accurate, good quality, double din representation of our stock face plate is available, and you've created that. I, as well as everyone else I'm sure, thank you for your efforts.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2019, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Cehbra
I got it printed from shapeways in Nylon
https://www.shapeways.com/materials/versatile-plastic
The color is always white, but you can get it dyed in a variety of colors - if you want to - or paint it yourself.

The step file is only one file. Not sure what those other files are. And be careful, the plain one doesn't have any cutouts, that's just for those who want to modify the design for their own needs!
The file I downloaded is the analog version that you linked in your post right above my post. It shows images of a complete, cutout, smooth face plate. That's the correct one, right?

As for color, shapeways says that after a lot of handling, the color can wear off, exposing the natural white color of the nylon. If that's the case, then it would seem that sanding a colored product would probably ruin the color, so painting it myself seems like the best choice. Any recommendation for the print-quality? Premium?
Old 04-04-2019, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Aviator857
Also where can you buy the little spring clips to go on the posts so I don't have to rob them off my existing one (my existing one is a NOS piece I got a few years ago so I don't want to steel parts from it).
Don't know - sorry, I took the clips from my old bezel. It should stay flush without them though
Old 04-04-2019, 05:52 AM

The file I downloaded is the analog version that you linked in your post right above my post. It shows images of a complete, cutout, smooth face plate. That's the correct one, right?

As for color, shapeways says that after a lot of handling, the color can wear off, exposing the natural white color of the nylon. If that's the case, then it would seem that sanding a colored product would probably ruin the color, so painting it myself seems like the best choice. Any recommendation for the print-quality? Premium?
I had this exact problem when I sanded my black dyed bezel. So there really is no point in ordering it in black if you're going to sand it. I ordered the standard quality, I believe there's no significant difference
Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 AM

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '90 Formula '88 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI 350 TPI
Transmission: T5 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt 3.27 9 bolt

Thanks for all your work on this. I just ordered one from Shapeways... I will let you know how it comes out!
Old 12-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Do I understand correctly: you are suggesting cutting the mask on a vinyl cutter or the like? That sounds interesting and it could actually work!

In case you need the measurements for the mask I have attached a Photoshop file with two transparent layers (digital and analog) that would go along with the 3D file above.
Do you have a way to convert this file to a JPEG?? I have a friend who can do vinyl and I am trying to see if she can make me a template to paint it, she doesn't have photoshop. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2019, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi

Originally Posted by AaronIROCZ
Do you have a way to convert this file to a JPEG?? I have a friend who can do vinyl and I am trying to see if she can make me a template to paint it, she doesn't have photoshop. Thanks!
JPEG is a lossy format. it was posted in SVG format, which isn't a photoshop exclusive format. Most anyone who can print vinyl can run SVG?

You can use online converters as well. https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-svg

Last edited by thtanner; 12-22-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Step files uploaded on Thingiverse, analog version includes a plain one without cutouts

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2238132 (analog)
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2241658 (digital)
Any chance you could share the checkered version step file?

Thanks for all your work on this.

BR
Old 12-14-2020, 04:50 PM
Supreme Member

Here, I saved it long ago.
Firebird 85-92 double DIN radio bezel checkered - analog by cehbra - Thingiverse
Old 12-15-2020, 07:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, but I'm looking for the step file. (That is the stl file on Things Universe). I need to modify it slightly in Soldiworks as my radio is a bit bigger than that design after I printed it.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 FORMULA
Engine: ZZ4 + LT4 HT CAM 430HP
Transmission: 700-R4 COMING T56
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.56's (COMING)

Sure! Right side is double DIN. In reality, it looks shinier and it's harder to tell which is the original. I'm quite happy with the results.

Attachment 314962