Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Cassette keep ejecting

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 03:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH350 built
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Cassette keep ejecting

I just bought a 91 Z28. When I asker the previous owner if the car had a CD player or Cassette player, he told me it had a cassette player. However he failed to inform me it doesn't work! When I try to put in a cassette, it immediately ejects the tape. I have tried several different tapes and it does the same thing. The radio works good and they whole thing is in good cosmetic shape so I hate to replace it. Any ideas?
Old 01-01-2002, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 (5.7 TPI)
Transmission: auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt L.S.
Broken cass.motor belt,inexpensive part,just be sure to fit the right length,there are many different belts!
Old 01-05-2002, 10:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '91 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH350 built
Axle/Gears: 3.73
You hit the nail right on the head dude

I took the deck to a mexican guy in a little car sterio shop here in Houston and he opened it up and replaced the belt right in front of me. There are actually two belts a long one and a short one. the Long one is the one that was broke, he said the short one never wears out, but we replaced it anyway because it was open. It cost me $40 total ($35 labor and $5 parts)and it works perfect.

He also told me the followng. If it just ejects like mine every time, immediately it is probably the belt. If it plays and then jumps between forward and reverse several times, then ejects, it is the "sensor". This is the thing that senses when the tape strops trurning and either ejects or reverses the tape because it is at the end. The Sensor would have cost me $20 for just the part.

He also told me some crazy story that he swears is true that Delco puts capacitors in the unit that leak some kind of conductor fluid after a certain number of year and shorts out the circuit board and you dont have one of the 4 channels working. They do this so that you will have to buy more parts and they will make more money. When this happens you have to replace the board (there are two, one for each group of two channels. I was just starting to trust him, then he goes and tells me this stuff. What do you think?