Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Should each driver in a box have its own separate volume?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should each driver in a box have its own separate volume?

I'm making a custom sealed box for my bird and right now its almost done with one side still not glued on but I'd like to know, since I'm putting a pair of Solobarics in it, do they each need their own separate volumes... meaning, should I put a separater board in?

EDIT: pics of the box

[This message has been edited by pianiy (edited June 25, 2001).]
Old 06-25-2001, 05:30 PM

You don't need a divider, but it is recommended because of its numerous benifits. It allows each driver to act independently, so if one driver fails the other one will still function correctly. Also small differences in the signal to each driver could cause undesirable effects if they share a common chamber. A divider also adds bracing to the box. Acoustically however, assuming proper function of the drivers, the box will sound the same with or without a divider. One will not be louder or clearer. But if I was building the box, I would use a divider.

- Mike
Old 06-25-2001, 05:53 PM

Hey Mike92RS I need you e-mail address, I am selling those Aura amps & was wondering if you are still interested in them.

------------------
- Mike Harvey -
1986 Firebird S/E
Old 06-25-2001, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
If you build a box with a divider, don't both sizes have to be exactly the same size? And I mean EXACTLY. Otherwise won't they have just slightly different resonance frequencies? And couldn't that cause a slight loss in some desired frequencies? I've been under the impression that this gives the same effects of having, for instance, two different size speakers with the same x-over level for sub-bass. Kinda like putting in a ported, and a sealed box in the same car. Not that bad maybe, but the same effect, right? I guess I just never had the ***** to risk it. I just always put a brace in the box, with all of the corners mitered out (an octagon) so that air could still be exchanged between sides. Even that itself has some effect on sound due to sound waves bouncing off of the divider.

Just what I've heard, seen, and read.
Correct me if I'm wrong, everyone else does. Right Jim? HEHE!!!

AJ

------------------
92 RS w/t-tops 305 TBI Auto.
170K miles and don't burn a drop o'oil
-K&N Truck filter #1500 w, open ele.
air cleaner
-Dynomax 2 1/2" cat-back
-B&M TransPak
-Jet Stage2 Chip
-180* T-Stat w/ 185* Fan Switch
-JVC CD--Alpine speakers & 4ch. amp
Rockford 2ch. to 2 MTX 12" subs
Old 06-25-2001, 10:21 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
You definately want both chambers to be the exact same volume, but with boxes like this, it's real tough. It is a bit forgiving with sealed enclosures, so as long as you're close, you'll be ok. If you map the response of most subs in sealed enclosures, a 10 or even 15% variation doesn't have much effect on the frequency response, except that one may begin to roll off sooner. I always use a divider in the boxes I sell because I don't know what the buyer's intentions will be. If you run your subs in stereo, especially with separate amps, then separate chambers are a necessity. If both speakers share a chamber and they don't receive the exact same signal, it could rip them apart. If they're running mono and off the same amp (or your gains are IDENTICAL to a fraction of a dB) then you can use a common chamber, but you'll still need to brace it. Also, if you blow a sub, it's going to sound pretty bad until you get a replacement. If they have separate chambers, you'll still have decent tunes while you're waiting for a replacement.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah