Car Audio Car audio related questions and helpful hints for building the best sound system for your car or getting the most out of what you have.

Did i blow my sub? or is my amp crappin out

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did i blow my sub? or is my amp crappin out

This whole thing just started a few days ago..

niether my amp nor my sub are all that great quality... name wise.. but they did a real good job for the time i had em..

the problem is that the sub will b working for a while.. and then it cuts out.. but then it comes back on... seemed as if there was just a loose connection that was losing contact .. but i checked all of em but the connection inside the tube that goes to the speaker.. which i will.. soon as i can.. but i dont think this is the problem.. because now i noticed thatwhen it cuts out .. depending on the driving situation im in.. sometimes it only takes a few revs if im at a light or a tap on the break if im movin along... which kinda leads me to believe that somtin along the lines of an alternator or battery or somtin.. both of which are relatively new... but the volt meter sittin right bout where it should b and is real consistent... and i think i might hear a lil bit of a rattle sound..which i think is comin from speaker.. but im not sure.. cus its kinda hard to tell with our "trunk" setup ...

i jus membered that when it frist happened.. it was doin it when i put the car in nuetral while at a light (automatic)

im pretty sure the amp isnt overheating.. cus i never had this problem b4

i run the system (if u can call it that) somewhat hard....but i dont have the bass and gain all that high..

anybody have any ideas?.. i have a warranty on both the amp and sub.. so i dont care if i have to go switch em..

could it b a crappy pre-out from the headunit?

please help me out guys... im sick of havin bass one minute and notin the next
Old 02-10-2002, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 99 F350 Dually 97 Chevy Venture 97 Honda Accord 89 Mercedes Benz 190 1987 TRANS AM GTA
Engine: Brand new 350 Crate motor
Transmission: Beefed up 700R4
Sounds like a bad connection

Sounds like a bad connection.. Re-check your connections
Old 02-10-2002, 04:43 PM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS; 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham
Engine: LH0 3.1 Liter V6; YBN 2.8 Liter V6
Transmission: TH-700-R4; TH-440
try your ground dude, see i had the same problem too, i had a crappy ground for the amp. I would start the car, let it run for 1 minute, then all of a sudden the bass dies. I tore up the whole car only to find it was the ground. try and wiggle that wire where it is connected to the chassis or metal or whatever and see if it kicks on, if it does, make it stay on and test it out. see if that works, but you never know, just an idea

~Mike
Attached Thumbnails Did i blow my sub? or is my amp crappin out-best-car-picture.jpg  
Old 02-10-2002, 11:54 PM

I had the same problems on two different amps. On one of the amps i had a lost connection. Make sure your ground is well grounded. Also check your batter and ground connections on your amp as well as your remote. That could be the problem.

However, my other amp would do the same thing and i checked everyting to no avail. I ended up taking it out of my car and putting it into my friends car to see if it would do the same thing. We tested it and it did the exact same thing in his car. Took it to a friend who works at an audio place and he said that amp was shot.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:58 PM

hmm, my amp does something like this too, but I've never really run it that hard. Are there any other tests to check if it's really out?
Old 02-13-2002, 12:58 AM

Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 5 point slow LG4
Transmission: Auto
i was having a similar problem with the setup in my truck. it turns out that the mounting screws that were holding my am to the rack were vibrating loose and allowing the amp to bounce around a little. while the movement of the amp was minimal, it was enough to bump the RCA cables enough to were my sound was cutting in and out. i would make sure that you everything is mounted tightly and then check your RCA cables. hope this helps.

peace,
menace
Old 02-26-2002, 08:56 PM

Car: See pic above
Engine: Too Small
Transmission: Broken
I had the same problem, it turned out that there wasn't enough ground for the amp to run, but there was enough to turn on the power light (go figure). You can test for this real easy if you got a test light. Just clamp one end to the power terminal on your amp and then touch the body. If it lights up, then you've got a problem with your ground. If it don't then you have a bad power connection to the amp.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:35 PM

my problem with that was a remote connection inside the amp
Old 02-27-2002, 01:21 AM

Definately check yer ground.....
Old 02-27-2002, 01:22 PM

man i had that happen to me,,,it ended up that my clarion head didnt have enough power in the remote to keep the amps remote gate open...what i had to do was put a relay in,,its pretty easy if you know how to wire a relay..what you do is put a ground on the relay,,and then hook up the constant 12 volt from your bat to the relay,next hook up the remote wire to the relay,,,now take the final wire and hook it to the remote screw on the amp....
what it does is take the low power of the heads remote wire to turn on the relay and send a constant 12v from the bat to the amp,,thus keeping the gate open....just a thought,,,maybe it will help....this is especially common on cheaper amps ....
Old 02-27-2002, 02:00 PM

forgot the sig
Old 02-27-2002, 07:50 PM

There should be a protect light on the amp. If it is on, and your are 100% positive that the ground is connected, then try unplugging the subs and if the light is still on after turning the car off the back on again, then it is definitly the amp. If the light turns off, then it is the subs.