Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Fuel problems, thinking i have too much pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8l v6
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: Probably the stock 3.42
Fuel problems, thinking i have too much pressure...

i just recently started driving my 85 camaro again it has a vortec l30 305 bored .03 over, with a summit 1103 cam and a holley 4160 600cfm,
i know i need to tune the carb and i dont know how to, but my dad noticed that the fuel filter is completely full all the time, he thinks i may have too much fuel pressure,
i have been looking for a factory fuel pump for my car, the one that came with the l69 had 3 outlets, the one to go in, the one to the carb and im guessing the 3rd was a return of sorts... the one i bought only has the inlet and one outlet.
i was wondering if this pump would be the one i need?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M6626/

it spits back when you go from part to full throttle quickly, and has a reall rough time rolling from a dead stop, i have adjusted the timing as best i could given i dont have anything to mark my timing or anything,
and you can feel a little mis or backfire when the car is idling...
thanks for the help!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Fuel problems, thinking i have too much pressure...

There's no good way to point you in any good direction, without you getting the tools you need. If the car ran well before, and was parked without being touched, and now runs bad, the only part of fuel that may be an issue is the filter.

The filter should be full always - if it doesn't have gas, then it has air, cars won't run on air.

You need a timing light if you are messing with timing at all - you have to have a reference point to move from, and you don't, so you have no idea how far advancing or retarding you are changing it. They are like $20 now, get one.

Next you need an inline fuel pressure guage, they are like $10 - put it inline between the fuel pump and the carb. You need to have 5.5psi - anymore is too much.

Plug wires need ohm'd out to make sure there's no breaks in the wires. Need to make sure the plug boots are on all the way. Try changing dist cap and rotor - cracks are often not seeable with naked eye.

Get us timing info and fuel pressure info, make sure all ignition is good, and let us know.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:12 PM

i have a timing light, just dont have any marks to go on...
the ignition is all just as new as the motor, its a procomp distributor with a 65k coil, its cheap, but does the job i gues...
ill get a gauge soon and look into the presure.
i had an old edelbrock on the car that was given to me when i bought the car, and i was crapped out i bought the holley and it ran much better, but still bogged down a lot down low...
i used a vacuum gauge to try and tune the idle mixture, and i had around 20" at idle... managed to bring it to about 22" and the car started hesitating/stalling when i got on the gas, so i managed to put it back to where it was before and ran a bit better...
im just totally lost when it comes to tuning carbs, and mine doesnt have adjustable floats, so all i can do without taking it apart is the idle mixture...
but ill get that gauge and see where im at...
thanks
miguel
Old 11-05-2010, 06:55 PM

Car: 85 TA (sold), 88 Corvette, 02 Monte

You mean you dont have a line on your dampener, you dont have a timing tab, or the line on the dampener doesnt line up with the tab?

That fuel pump looks right.

Taking the float bowls off to check your float level is amazingly easy on a holley. Just four screws and its off. I guess it might be stuck and need new gaskets if its been on there for a while though.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:33 PM

well the damper does have a groove that marks where 0 degrees is, my dad told me that when we were putting the engine together. I just dont have a tab to line it up to, and even so i wouldnt know how to tell how far advanced or retarded the timing is because the only mark is 0, but im new to this still...

i know its easy to take off, its just that im new to the whole tuning adjusting and dont want to mess anything up...
on top of that i doubt the floats are stuck or anything because the carb was rebuilt with all new parts by holley, i just dont have moneyfor a seal kit for the carb...
Old 11-06-2010, 02:58 PM

i re did the idle mixturew adjustment, and now it doesnt have that bog when im going just off idle, so now its accelerating smoothly...
but now when i go from part throttle to almost full throttle itll, backfire, then kick in and go, i was watching a tuning video from holley , you think maybe i need a bigger/smaller accelrator pump or pump nozzle?

im gonna get that pressure gauge here soon as well...

thanks
miguel
Old 11-08-2010, 01:57 PM

well turns out i have 8 full pounds of pressure... so im gonna buy that fuel pump with the return on it... but it says it pumps 6.5 pounds minimum... i cant find a pump that pumps less than that...

*nevermind it says max is 5.5 to 6.5...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:57 PM

Car: 84 firebird, 85 transam
Engine: 350 SBC Or 7.07 Tonys,305stock
Transmission: Big Ugly, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4th gen rear disk 3.42 lsd,9 bolt

Leave the pump on and get a regulator 803 Holley (think That's the part number ) and backfire through the Carb would likely be a lean condition what power valve is in the Carb. And get a timing tab autozone has them for less then ten bucks and its shiny lol
Old 11-11-2010, 09:07 AM

i thought it would be a rich condition given the fact that it still blows black smopke out the exhaust when you gas it.
the power valve is the one that came with the carb so i have no idea, i think i heard they come normally with a #65 power valve...
Now i put the fuel pump in, readjusted the idle for the best vacuum at idle, and now when you have the engine in neutral, itle idle fine and rev easily, but when its under load and you gas it, it sputters, backfires and stalls... on top of the fact that its really lazy from a standstill again...
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 K3500 Fleetside
Engine: RAT *tbi* EBL
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 3.73-Dana 60

At least power-time the engine so it's not retarded.

Sounds like the accelerator pump is not up to snuff/shooters clogged ect.
&
You may be jetted a little rich, get a book & read something about that poor thing so you can tune on it.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 67 ******mobile
Engine: 385 Solid roller
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.11

You have no idea where the timing is at which could be at least half your issue.

Call summit and get a timiing tape for your balancer they are cheap.

Order a piston stop tool it screws in your #1 plug hole, get a pointer too make sure its the correct one.

Turn the motor over slowly (like to take the plugs out and turn by hand or crank the balancer bolt over with a socket) til the piston hits the stop

Check to make sure your new pointer is pointed RIGHT at TDC, now you can time it. If its off your balancer may have spun.

Now play with the timing and youll have a much easier time tuning your problem out.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Turn the motor over slowly (like to take the plugs out and turn by hand or crank the balancer bolt over with a socket) til the piston hits the stop
That's only part the process to find TDC with a stop. After it hits the stop, mark the point on the balancer under the 0 degree mark on the timing comb. Then rotate the engine by hand in the opposite direction until it stops again. Mark the point on the balancer under the 0 degree mark again. Measure the distance between the two marks and divide it in half to find the midpoint between the them. Make your TDC mark at that mid-point.