Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

MW50 injection

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 305 LG4 w/ E4ME carb
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
MW50 injection

I've been looking into a simple MW50 injection and after investing 79 cents, not counting my time, internet electrons or tax on that 79 cents, I have been successful with making and installing a basic system.

BTW, not too many posts ago someone posted water for gas; that's not what this is about at all.

I found other forum posts and got both motivated and disgusted after reading that a 2006 Subaru Forester posted dyno test results of well over 350 hp/220 torque by adding MW50 injection using windshield fluid. They use a $600 plus British injector system hooked up after MAF (ebay) and thats it to get those numbers. At work some retired Air Force guys also relayed their experiences with short run take offs using/relying on water injection in 135s, buffs and more.

Anyway, my simple system is designed almost exactly like the old Mother earth news article at: http://www.journeytoforever.org/biof...earth/me3.html

The 79 cents was the cost of a fish tank aerator piece. The other spare parts/tubing didn't cost me anything more but are worth a few bucks. I added a T connector near the carb on the "K" or "T" line and when connected use -20 degree windshield washer fluid (a 33% mix of water & methanol) http://www.peakauto.com/pdf/msds-pea...hield_wash.pdf (plug T connector when not connected).

The system is feeding a mostly stock 305 with a stock '85 ccc carb that is tuned to factory specs for air idle bleed and M/C dwell float, idle screws etc with a "K" hanger and CK secondaries IIRC. I think the engine is really clean now after running this set up. If nothing else I'm keeping this as a perfect way to get fuel cleaner into the engine (trani fluid mixed with -20 windshield fluid).

It's not a perfect system as there is more vacuum at idle which causes more uptake when less is needed at idle. Still I mostly drive 45 mph or less to work for 6 miles, so vacuum stays fairly high anyway (12 to 16 while crusing past McDonalds at 35 mph). Without much engine speed/demand I'm only able to say at this point that the system does feed 1/2 cup of fluid in about 4 miles and that engine temp does stay down. Is this about right for a small v8 under light load?

We're gonna test this on a 390 Ford in a '66 Thunderbird w/ a Holley carb of some type.

I found the google does an amazing patent search and returned over 400 hits for water injection patents applied for between 1970 and 1990. Here is the next one I'm reading about: http://www.google.com/patents?id=bF8...page&q&f=false or search on "Engine speed and engine load responsive fluid injection system for an ... US Pat. 4417547 - Filed Nov 17, 1981."

Maybe you're way past me on your own water injection adventure. Post your secrets so we can all keep those Subaru Foresters in their place!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 305 LG4 w/ E4ME carb
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: MW50 injection

Okay, unfortunately I've got to get on to other stuff, so for the time being this will just be a great way to get a fairly large amount of methanol into the carb in under a mile to clean my engine using the Mother Earth design system tee'd into a ported vacuum line (yellow heat is cheap and has worked the best).

Post a comment if you're using this type of set up or the pro version successfully!

Last edited by scooter500; 05-15-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling