Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Is FI to carb a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7 w/Paxton
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Is FI to carb a good idea?

Originally Posted by T/Aperformance
The OP did not say he did not want batch fire, He said he did not want to run a stock TPI. You may be able to read but You sure didn't understand what was written.
And when you give a quote on a system its not just a carb and intake but all those other small incidentals that will add up very quickly you need to quote.
I didn't say you were wrong about tuning a carb, I said its more than just turning a screw, Sure some people may have troubles tuning a chip I found it very easy, And tuning a chip you can get a better tune for the engines whole operating range than you could ever do with a non computerized engine. even if its just a batch fire system,
And I believe I gave a good alternative that would be close to the same price as your carb swap maybe even cheaper. Yes it is still batch fired and not SFI , And I sure it will out flow that little intake that will choke the OPs engine, Remember with a carb and intake swap, you have to look at the engine and what will work best for its combo. What you picked out would be great for a stock 350 engine.
Did you even read the first post completely?

OP: "TPI isn't all that advanced anyway, with the batch fire and all"

I guess I can't make people read something, so I should just resign from this thread.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

How advanced do you need? My stock ecm batch fire system went 9.73 at 142

All depends on what you are comfortable with
Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 T/A - 70 Z28/RS
Engine: Broke - 350
Transmission: 700R4 - M22
Axle/Gears: G80, 2.73 - ZQ9 G80 4.10

I usually tend to stay away from post like this because you have people on both sides that believes one is better than the other.
Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
All depends on what you are comfortable with
This really says it all.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6
Engine: SBC 350
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70:1 BW M78 9-Bolt Posi

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
And you say it like switching from fuel injection to carb is easy because the block is mostly the same. Choosing and installing an induction setup is not a matter of "slapping stuff on". You have to find systems to flow air on command, control spark, and supply and control fuel. All these primary systems have their own secondary systems and supporting hardware. Just because the block is mostly the same doesn't mean switching from EFI to carb is trivial. I wouldn't say it's difficult per se, but for someone who needs to ask the question... I'd say it's a lot more involved than comments like yours suggest. You still have to control throttle valve cables, fuel pumps, fans, torque converter lockups, and so on. All minor, but switching from an EFI car or even a computer controlled carb car to an analog carburetor setup has a lot of domino consequences throughout the car that need to be addressed. It's not the "easy" option, it's the cheap option, and it's not even that cheap.
I'm not saying that switching to a carb set up is any easier just because the block is the same. I understand that tuning a carb is no easy task. I'm just referring to the fact that these motors initially started out carbed, so It's easy to find intakes, heads, carbs, etc for them IF you wanted to go to a carb set up. It's not like I'm trying to put a carb on a 3.8L V6, an engine that never saw a carburetor.

I just don't know that much about tuning an EFI system. I'm sure if I learned about it, I would be able to do it. It would just be a matter of buying all the necessary equipment to do it. By "not that advanced", I was referring to the ease of programming an OBDI system. Like with newer EFI systems like on the LS1, you can download software and hook up your laptop directly to the OBDII port. From what I've read, and I could be confused, with OBDI you need to remove the PROM, erase it, reprogram it, etc.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:54 PM

Car: 1986 Iroc Z-28
Engine: 1972 350 4V
Transmission: 1983 T5
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73

Originally Posted by Dakota W.
You don't HAVE to ditch the ECM though. I was referring to him saying that a new 650 holley or edelbrock was $350. Try $450-500.
I don't know if things are more expensive in Oregon but we do sell edelbrock carbs that are brand new at autozone for 300. you can order them online and get 20% off and most of the time free shipping.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Christine Z28
Engine: RV Cam and Intake 350 SBC
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 ls Posi

Originally Posted by Eddie1986z28
I don't know if things are more expensive in Oregon but we do sell edelbrock carbs that are brand new at autozone for 300. you can order them online and get 20% off and most of the time free shipping.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=934736

Couldn't even find a Holley Carb. The 20% off is only for august.