Carburetors Carb discussion and questions. Upgrading your Third Gen's carburetor, swapping TBI to carburetor, or TPI to carburetor? Need LG4 or H.O. info? Post it here.

Air intake tubes

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0 305 High Output V8
Transmission: T5 Manual
Axle/Gears: Yup, still there
Air intake tubes

I've seen a few pictures of L69 engines with intake tubes that go to the front of the engine bay, almost like a ram air setup:

This makes a lot more sense to me than what I have currently set up in my car because it's just sucking in all that hot engine air instead of the fresh cooler air from outside the engine bay. I've been under the hood after just driving the car for 10-15 minutes, and it's already miserably hot to the point where I'm dripping sweat within minutes.

How well do these work, and where can I buy a set or something similar? I'm either not using the right term for the part, or I'm just looking in all the wrong places,but I can't find anyone selling them online. I took a drive last night, and I honestly noticed a change in performance just from driving in the cool night air compared to the hot afternoon air, so I really want to see what my options are to try and run on something other than the Sahara temperature air from under the hood.

Last edited by Venom_1138; 07-09-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Re: Air intake tubes

Haha, I just answered my own question with the help of a Jeep at the grocery store, of all things.

A guy pulled in with a TJ series Wrangler set up for off-roading, and as I was glancing over all his mods, I thought, "I wonder if he's ever forded anything deep enough to really need that snorkel"

To quote Gru in 'Despicable Me', Light bulb! I immediately tried Googling for 'snorkel' instead and found my answer... on the tech folders on this site. Well don't I feel like a dummy now, lol?
Old 07-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 257 Likes on 148 Posts
Car: 1984 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 Liter 4-BBL V8 High Output
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I Believe The Firebirds Used A Different System On The L69 Engine.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:15 PM

My intake is identical to the one in the photo from my first post, minus the snorkels (I still can't get over how easily that eluded me, lol), so it's just sucking hot engine air all day long. If they used a different style for the Firebird, then maybe someone previously switched it out for what's installed on the car currently. Older picture from my first dive into the engine, but you can see the intake installed.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Yup, the Birds with L69 were different... their hood is MUCH closer to the core support, therefore not enough room in there for the setup that the Camaro has, which draws air from above the headlights. Obviously that won't work on a Bird regardless since they don't have headlight pockets like the Camaro. Your AC lines also won't work with the right snorkel. (but they're pretty messed up anyway, looks like they came off of some other kind of car, you can see where the hood has been rubbing on the one, because the line doesn't fit the car) I don't recall the Bird having the dual snorkel deal, seems like it went to the hood somehow but I don't remember the details. Might have been a hole in the top of the air cleaner that sealed to the hood, and a vacuum or electrically operated air door to a scoop, but don't quote me on that.