Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Vinyl wear stickers on the tonneau cover LOOK INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Iroc-z Convertible
Re: Vinyl wear stickers on the tonneau cover LOOK INSIDE

just an update I got the vinyl in today and the cad drafting is way off I am really pissed about it because almost nothing lined up except for the side pieces that Jeff traced just because the place I had do the drafting didn't take their time at all even though it took them almost 3 weeks. I am going to really get onto them next week so I may have them done really soon. Hopefully next week. I am really sorry this is taking so long but they will be getting done. also the quality of the vinyl is definitely as good or better so at least I have one thing working in my favor.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 T/A WS6 Vert/1956 Chevy Nomad
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 w/ Transgo Kit
Axle/Gears: 3.42 LSD

No rush for me ... paint won't go on until later in the summer. Looking forward to getting mine, though!! Are you going to include application instructions with it?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

I was thinking about that but there isn't a whole lot of instruction to them there are a few things I am going to try and change and the main thing for me is the way the cutter is set up my vinyl guy doesn't want to go all the way through the backing paper. he is going to cut about an inch outside the decal and the side pieces I don't necessarily like the idea so I am going to try to find another roller for his machine because he doesn't want to mess his up (I understand his point though) but I am also going to have him cut just the backing paper in the middle so the backing will be two pieces. When you apply these or the originals for that matter it will all be based off the center of the decal where the notch is and then you just follow it around. I am going to try and get some done soon this has already taken me 2 months and quite a bit of $ so I guess if they have to be his way for a little bit, I guess they will have to be.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Supreme Member

I am only talking about the backing paper not the decal they will be exact or I won't do them. just wanted to make sure everyone knew what I was talking about.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 305 H.O.
Transmission: 700R4

No hurry here! George Patton said it's better to have a pint of sweat now than a gallon of blood later!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Hey, is there any chance you could shoot me an email at cgarner@compascable.net whenever you get them ready. I check this forum frequently, but I want to know the minute they are available. Thanks!

- Chris
Old 04-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Car: 91 Camaro vert

i have a question

If my sticker is in good shape and i wanted to paint my car, does the sticker come of easy or do people just paint over it or around it?
Old 04-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member

If you're happy with the condition of it, you could always mask it and paint around it. Just depends on how nice you want the final product to be. If you're going for a show-car look, then def. peel the old one off and replace. A new one would look much better. But if you're just wanting better-looking paint, then masking should be fine. Keep in mind that the color under the vinyl probably isn't going to match your new paint 100%.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:22 PM

Car: 91 Camaro vert

Does the sticker go under the black plastic peice to or is just around it?

im thinking of repainting and this is one obsticle...

-if i take it of and put extra clear coat how long do you think it would take tell that wears away?

-blue zee how long have you had your painted and that clear coat on that particler spot and how much wear is there
Old 04-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Supreme Member

It is around but in most cases there is some under the black vinyl covered piece. using extra clear will help for a while depending on how much you drive and the amount of driveline vibration you have. I told my Cad guy I want this done by the end of the week, so keep your fingers crossed. I am getting close on this but keep running into little problems to get fixed (well the last one was a kinda big problem because the cad draft was horrible)
Old 05-07-2008, 06:58 PM
Supreme Member

just an update.

I wish I could post some good news but still not yet.
There should be some good news by next Fri (as in they will be available just as long as nothing is screwed up this time). I never imagined it would take this long but I want them perfect or as close as I can get to it. You guys will be buying a quality piece. Also I started a thread on getting Iroc hood louvers repaired/restored. you guys can take a look if you might be interested. This is something I can do now. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...nterested.html
Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

Well it is the end of the road. This Fri my Cad guy is moving he said it will be done by Fri but he has been really busy trying to squeeze it in a couple hours a day. I went to see how he is coming along with it and it looks great on the template other than a little tweaking on the outside radius. The main problem in doing these is having to input all the points by hand since there is no where close to here that has a 60" scanner. otherwise I could have had these done 2 months ago. The template that he has done now is in 3 parts and he is going to blend it all tomorrow. The only thing other than that he has to do it add in the center cutout for the top pin holder plate. again I appoligize for the time it has taken but Fri will be a big day they will either be done or they won't. Now something else I will be able to do too if anyone is interested on a special order basis I will be able to do colored decals or reflectives, tinted. I don't see a whole lot of people wanting this but I figured I will mention it. Fri I will get one made and post the pics of the final product or dissappoint alot of people, Which I really don't see.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:14 PM

Sounds Great! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. It's guys like you that make this hobby work.

Many Thanks,
John
Old 05-16-2008, 06:31 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc convertible
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: T-5, swapped it in.
Axle/Gears: no clue, but I'll learn

However it goes, you get a big A+++ for effort.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Supreme Member

Old 05-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Supreme Member

I am having him double check the template to the tonneau cover again just to make sure. This still isn't going to be a guarantee it will be perfect until it is actually cut though. From what I saw it looks good but he didn't have the center notch done yet I told him to be very very precise on that because if it is off a little than it is junk. I am going to learn how to do CAD pretty soon anyway (I started messing around with it some yesterday) so that way I don't have to rely on someone else when I know exactly what needs to be done.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

***This is long but read through all of it and see what you think*** now for the
just an update : my cad guy called me monday and said I can't do it. and to make a long story short I had to go back over and see what he had done and the problems. But after going over all of it I may have a useable file by the end of next week. He said he has been going point to point and for some reason just can't get it. and the 2 tonneau covers I brought over to him one from an 87 and the other from an 89 aren't exactly the same but after I looked it turns out that they are exactly the same but had some slop in the stamp when they were made. This is going to be the case with all of them so it won't be the easiest to line up but these apply just like window tint. you will be able to keep them moist and get it all perfect. This is how the OEM decal is also. I told him to mainly focus on the center notch, the ends already looked about perfect, now the inside and this is where I want some of your feedback the inside under the black vinyl covered piece will be hidden but it may not be exact. What this means is it will still look oem but if the black vinyl piece is removed it will have a slightly different inside radius. I am having a little bit of a problem with my vinyl guy too because he still doesn't want to cut all the way through the backing but I am going to try and talk him into doing at least the first one (and more than likely all the rest because since this is clear it is really hard to even see where it is cut.) I am planning on having something to actually post next week and that will be the final one. I will let you all be the judge I am sorry this is so long but I want a little input from all of you. Thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc convertible
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: T-5, swapped it in.
Axle/Gears: no clue, but I'll learn

For my money, I don't think a covered imperfect inside radius is a big deal at all.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Supreme Member

Paint is going on in about 4 weeks. The only thing that would excite me more is seeing my wife with another woman. In other words ... I'm PUMPED! Jstoltz ... you're doing a great job!!
Old 06-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

Jstoltz, any update on this? Don't want you to think I'm in a hurry ... I just want to know how things are going for you.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:16 PM

Car: 88 IROC Z Vert CZA3
Engine: LB9 5.0 tpi
Transmission: MM5 5 spd
Axle/Gears: G92 Performance

Originally Posted by gcgarner

The only thing that would excite me more is seeing my wife with another woman.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 PM

^^^^^

I lol'ed as well
Old 06-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

Well I have this post I guess and I hate to say I am right back where I started My Cad guy didn't get it done right so now I am looking for someone else to do it. I am trying to get something accomplished and so far isn't working but I got a couple reputable places I will be talking to tomorrow. So I guess all I can say is give me some more time I almost had it on the first try but the center notch was off so I have that much done anyway so I will be talking with the other places to see if they can refine it so I guess I am actually somewhere just not done yet. all for being patient with me and I promise I will get these done.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:40 AM

Sounds good....don't give up the ship
Old 06-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Supreme Member

I got someone else that will be doing the CAD for me so at least we are finally getting somewhere. not sure how long but I made it clear that I want it done as quickly as possible and as accurate as it can be. That was the problem with the other person I had doing them, it just wasn't close enough when I saw the final product. I wouldn't have felt right with myself having those produced they didn't look bad just not good enough. I am hoping this time around they are better the vinyl is really expensive and there really isn't another way to check the accuracy other than having them cut. I will be keeping you guys posted.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:02 AM

Car: 88 Iroc Vert
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: 700R4 w/shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Dude, it's good to be connected to such dedicated people. Alot of people would have jumped ship on this project. The cause is definately worth the effort. My vert had a paint job at one point in its life, and it looks like the vinyl was painted over. Just a small taste of the crummy paint job thats on my poor ride. I have plans to paint and most definately am going to need a set, so add one more user to that list.
Tanx
Old 06-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

alright today I got an NOS sticker from gm so I am not going to do this project anymore , LOL I am just joking . This may be a little easier. Originally we were working with the original on my tonneau cover and I think that was the biggest hold up. after getting this one it solves some problems. The replacement sticker isn't the same size as my original it is narrower so there must have been a design change on these also (just like most convertible parts), the sticker is actually symmetrical just like I said in the first place. If my original CAD guy would have listened it would have already been finished. After getting the NOS one I can't believe they can sell them they look more like trash to me. It is completely yellowed so I advise everyone on here not to spend the extra $75 on them and just wait for mine so they will be new. I would be worried using the NOS stickers anyway because as bad of shape the vinyl is in I can't imagine the adhesive is in much better shape.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Supreme Member

alright here is the deal keep your fingers crossed but these should and I really want to stress SHOULD be done by the end of the week and these are going to be as close to exact as you can get. When they are actually available I am going to start another thread, just because this one shows all the ups and downs of the project which won't matter when they are finished. I am going to be talking with someone in the next week or two to try and get the upper trim pieces reproduced. I have the ones for my 87 which are near mint to use and I am going to try and find the later style trim pieces, well later. to find good ones isn't cheap or easy.

Last edited by jstoltz; 06-17-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

alright I may actually finally end up getting these complete next week and I want to know how many of you guys are definitely going to get one so I know how many to have cut on the first run of these. It won't be until the later part of next week, but I am getting them done though. if you want just pm me so I can make a list. I would like to at least have 15 for the first run. I would also like to thank all you guys that have been keeping track of this thread and for being patient with me. You guys definitely won't be disappointed.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

I was going to post a pic of the progress I have but the camera won't show up the outline and I have to go to work later so I really don't have the time to put it on my spare tonneau cover. I have had a few cutout and on this last one I didn't like the ends so I am going to get it fixed Monday the other problem I have is my vinyl guys cutter won't go through the backing paper so I have to find someone that has a cutter that will go through it which that shouldn't be too hard since I already have the vinyl. He was saying to just cut around them which would be extremely time consuming for me but I may see if he will cut them out. Either way it isn't that big of a deal. just wanted to let you guys know. also the vinyl is a little thicker than the original which is alot better. If I can get a pic to show up I will post it but this time I can actually say and be 99.9% positive that these are almost finished.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:35 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 Speed

What will I read if you actually get them finished? lol. Let me know, I am still interested. What is the price again?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Supreme Member

The new post will be called vinyl wear stickers finally done and for sale. I am trying to keep it to the original price of $100 shipped but may end up being $100 plus $5 or whatever it is to ship. so between $100 and $105 but more than likely $100 shipped as long as I don't run into too much more that has to come out of my pocket. I never guessed it would be this much of a pita or cost so much but you get what you pay for I guess.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:38 AM

Just to confirm, I'm still in. Will you be accepting payment via Paypal.

Tnxs,
John
Old 06-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Supreme Member

paypal or money order. I am hoping to get something done tomorrow on them.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

I'm definitely in as well. The plan is to have the car going in for paint next week. It may be pushed back though if my rear end swap isn't finished yet. I will be paying via Paypal.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Supreme Member

here's a couple teaser shots to show you guys I am getting somewhere with them. Still not all the way done because of all the nodes showing up when I get them loaded for the cutter. (nodes create a jagged line when they cut, some are needed but not as many as there is showing up. The last cut the ends where messed up a little one was rounded like it was supposed to be and the other was squared off. but I am really close on this.
Attached Thumbnails Vinyl wear stickers on the tonneau cover LOOK INSIDE-000_0046.jpg   Vinyl wear stickers on the tonneau cover LOOK INSIDE-000_0047.jpg  
Old 06-25-2008, 01:39 PM

Car: 69Z,70Z,85IROC,91,1LE,97SS
Engine: All my cars have original engines
Transmission: All my cars are sticks
Axle/Gears: From 410's to 342

I PM'ed you yesterday. Very Nice Product! I am finishing a restoration on a 1991 Z28 5-speed and am need of your product. Please call or email me with where you would like a check shipped to. Thanks, Jeff
Old 06-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Supreme Member

I am pm'ing you right now. Here is my paypal addy for anyone else that is in on these. droptop406@sbcglobal.net
Old 06-25-2008, 02:55 PM

Car: 1989 GTA CONVERTIBLE
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: ART CARR 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.70

are you planning on selling just the smaller pieces that go on the quaters?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah I already have some of those completely done.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 PM

What is the price of this peice shipped with the 2 small side pieces too?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Supreme Member

It will end up being $105 shipped which was mainly due to paypal fees since a majority of everyone that will buy these will use paypal which charges me to receive cash. If it wasn't for that it would be $100 even. As much as this ended up costing it will be a little while before I make my money back but after they are all done I am going to talk with Bruce about carrying these as a cheaper alternative and like I have been saying especially after seeing the NOS trash sitting around these will look new instead of a new sticker that sat in a box for 20+ years. I should know something on getting the top trim pieces repopped sometime next week.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 AM

Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 Speed

I'm getting that "proud papa" feeling. This project has been a long term effort and I'm happy to see it coming to fruition. Hell, I'd buy one even if I didn't have a vert just because of all the work you've done.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Supreme Member

why thank you. I figured someone had to do it. I just asked this on another post too but there is more people following this thread (at least I hope there still is) I am going to be trying to get the plastic top trim pieces done too. the one that houses the handles and the one the visors screw onto) I am looking at getting them vacuum formed but I don't really want to use the same type of plastic ASC used because of the problems we all have with them now. but then again I kinda do just so it will be correct. But I am leaning a little more towards something that has a UV agent in it and also maybe be a little more flexible. This will play a factor in cost too because the market on plastic is kinda like a bouncing ball from what I hear so I need to decide which to use to even get a price. What do you guys think?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:44 AM

Car: 1991 Camaro Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

the original material appears to be regular PC (polycarbonate) plastic. the problem is PC is very brittle and is not UV stabilized. A better material to use would be PC/ABS as it is softer (ie very forgiving) and is UV stabilized or just plain ABS (which has also similar properties). But its difficult to find ABS that is UV stabilized. Now i wonder if UV resisitance is a real problem. There's no real proof that tells me that UV light made these parts so brittle since I never seen a 'new one' before.

i dunno if you can buy pc/abs in sheet stock to be vacuum formed. its typically an injection molded material but you'd have to ask.

so in short, try PC/ABS and ABS as materials.

as for the wear stickers, i too am interested. but i would need you ship to canada (i'll pay for the additional shipping cost).

edit: btw, those 1:1 printouts look pretty good dude!

Last edited by davey_boy_smith; 06-26-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Should we go ahead and Paypal you?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

I should know the cost difference and the availability of ABS vs PC soon and compare the resistance. I have no problem shipping international. Just wait a little bit longer before paying. I want to have it all finished first. which like I said it almost is but still ironing out a couple small details.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

No prob. Please PM me when you are ready for payment.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

alright it is finally time to move onto the next project. these are done I just have to talk with my vinyl guy tomorrow about getting them cut completely out. They may have to be hand cut around the sticker. I am going to have him try changing the settings on his cutter a little bit and see if I can get the cutter to do all but normally these computer guided cutters aren't for cutting all the way through the backing paper just the vinyl itself. I talked with the manufacturer of the cutter and they said it may work but it wasn't originally designed for it. It will still be perfect it will just come on a bigger piece of the backing paper which gets thrown out after the sticker is off anyway. So I guess I will have to see which way it will work out on that tomorrow but as far as the sticker itself it is as close as it can get. I am waiting until tomorrow though to put the post up on the for sale board but you guys have been keeping track of this. Either way tomorrow these are finished.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Supreme Member

By finished, does that mean they are ready to ship? Just let me know when I can send you the funds via Paypal and I'll also get you my shipping address. Thanks again for all the hard work!

Quick Reply: Vinyl wear stickers on the tonneau cover LOOK INSIDE