Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

Do you leave your top down in parking lots

Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Convertible
Engine: Stock 305
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Do you leave your top down in parking lots

Anytime I'm running around with my top down and making stops I leave my top down. Today I came out of Walmart and two guys were standing by my car and asked as I approached if it was my car and that they havent seen one like mine in awhile as they tried to guess the year. Made me think if they were really just looking. It just happened to be a quick in and out. I was just wondering if anyone has encountered any problems leaving the top down or do you put your top up then back down at stops.

Last edited by graysmoke; 04-30-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi
Re: Do you leave your top down in parking lots

I've only got Ttops, not a convertible, but the same principles apply. I leave my tops in the trunk when I stop somewhere, assuming it doesn't look like it will rain. I'd rather someone steal my stereo or CDs than smash my tops and steal my stereo and CDs. Even if your insurance will cover theft, a new top puts you that much closer to your car being totaled if you make a claim.

As long as you don't have any valuables in the open, you really shouldn't have any problems anyhow. Unless you've got a show car or something that screams "someone dumped a ton of money into me." There used to be alarm systems made specifically for convertibles and Ttops that had sensors that could tell if someone reached into your car.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 RS Convertible
Engine: 5.0 TBI / 5.7 TPI coming soon
Transmission: TH 700R4

I have the same philosophy. I've seen a lot of tops cut and windows smashed to steal a $100.00 dollar stereo or $5.00 worth of change in the ashtray. When I traveled on my HD Ultra I would never lock the tour pak or saddle bags when leaving the bike. I never kept anything of significant value in either and I would much rather replace a few personal artifacts than a $1000.00 dollar tour pak or $600.00 saddle bag.
Mark
Old 05-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After more than 3 years of working on the car, I won't even park it in any lot without someone left in the car or sending the wife or daughter in for whatever it is we need. Wal-Mart terrifies me. Hundreds of carts floating around, even more idiots with little to no respect for others possessions. I have been sitting in my DD Grand Cherokee and had someone open a door into mine before, what will happen when I'm not there? I don't want to find out. The Jeep takes the brunt of punishment, the Z is just for driving pleasure now. Nearing 1,000 miles of joy in the past month after 8 years of being parked.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

I wouldn't leave them out in someplace where I don't have an eye on it, i.e. walmart or something.

I've gone to restaurants or done quick in and outs with no problems, I just don't leave anything valuable in the car. If I've gone through the trouble of taking my t-tops out then I rarely want to just put them back in at every stop.

I think it's a preference thing, a thousand people could tell you it was ok but they also are in a different area, so it's up to your judgement.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 AM

Leave the top down, and dont ever lock the doors! Nothing they steal out of your car is as costly as replacing the top when the cut it with a box cutter !! - new york 89 vert owner
Old 05-01-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another thing to consider when leaving your top down is punk vandals.

When I lived in New York I had a convertible 328i. I always locked it and left the top up because I was scarred of it getting stolen. One day I left the top down because I was just running in to get some groceries. Not even 15 minutes later I come out to find that some bit(h threw their mcdonalds trash in the back seat of my freaking car.

To say the least I was pissed.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 PM

Its still better than a 1500 top replacement : )
Old 05-01-2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by RedLeader289
I think it's a preference thing, a thousand people could tell you it was ok but they also are in a different area, so it's up to your judgement.
^^This is true. I would just make up your mind based on how long you will be gone and whether the area is a bad part of town or not.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Base 91 'bird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.27 & PBR

Seems like wherever you go there is always a percentage of scum. Just more or less. All you can do is try to minimize the risk. I used to prefer top down and nothing at all in the car.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Sometimes I'll use the convertible to run errands on a Saturday morning before the lot overfills, and I'll leave the top down. I just make sure I park far from the entrance, and on high ground so that a runaway shopping cart can't get me. You can never eliminate risk, but you can take measures to reduce it.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 camaro rs convertable
Engine: 305 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 7.5"3.42 gears forth gen 2000 camar

i leave the top down but put the radio face and other valuables in the trunk.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:58 PM

Car: 89 IROC-VERT
Engine: TPI 305
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.77

I only leave my top down if I can keep my eyes on my vert from a distance. But I would never leave it in a theatre parking lot and go watch a 2hr movie!! Hell no!!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 PM

Car: 91 Convertible
Engine: Stock 305
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Today the weather here in San Antonio was 70, fantastic for having the top down. I left the top down all day and at lunch I went to 54th street grill. Knowing i would be there an hour I left the windows up, doors locked and top down. Anyone see any issues with this combination? I think this is the best peace of mind for me.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Axle/Gears: 3:42

its like owning a jeep, a pocket knife can make a door in 3 sec, get a proximity alarm [ just stand to close makes it give a warning ]. park where no one else does, so its wide open to all eyes around.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

Originally Posted by Gumby
its like owning a jeep, a pocket knife can make a door in 3 sec, get a proximity alarm [ just stand to close makes it give a warning ]. park where no one else does, so its wide open to all eyes around.
I use 3 options depending on the location, how long I'll be away from the car and whether I have an opportunity to have "eyes on" in the interim.

Option 1: top down, windows up.

Option 2: top up.

Option 3: install the convertible cover.

http://www.classicindustries.com/cam...s/tc3004b.html

CI selll a version, but I actually bought mine decades ago from California Car Cover Co. Regardless the design and function are the same.

Lon
Old 05-12-2014, 12:36 AM
Supreme Member

I can just member in HS and people making a sport out of tossing light cigs into rustang verts sitting wide open........
Old 05-12-2014, 07:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Top up windows up. I parked my GTA convertible in mall parking lot with windows up and radio faced removed...some person changing their childs diaper next to my car obviously, thought it ok to place dirty disposable diaper in my back seat since there were no garbage cans around (close).
Old 05-13-2014, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by TRANSAM82-92
Top up windows up. I parked my GTA convertible in mall parking lot with windows up and radio faced removed...some person changing their childs diaper next to my car obviously, thought it ok to place dirty disposable diaper in my back seat since there were no garbage cans around (close).
tops in, doors locked, radio face off ,nothing of value visible in sight . and around here nobody, so far thinks its anywhere valuable. but when im in doubt, I remove the fuse by the battery.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:05 PM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI

Me personally, I'm a fan of the club. If I'm just going into a store or restaurant on a nice day, I will leave the T-tops off, role up the windows (that way if someone is reaching in, it's way more obvious to onlookers that its' most likely not their car), radio face goes with me and the Club goes on the steering wheel.

Although, there are always the "JERKS" of the world that just like to be jerks. I bought my car last October after it was already restored, so it's quite pretty. My first outing out where my car was going to be in a parking lot, was to a movie. Now my T-tops were on, so no issue there, but some jerk thought it would be funny to pour is soda all over the hood of my car then put the cup on the windshield. I SO wished I would have been walking up at the time they did that......
Old 05-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by PATRIOTIC1911
some jerk thought it would be funny to pour soda all over the hood of my car then put the cup on the windshield. I SO wished I would have been walking up at the time they did that......
A$$ whipping time lol. I would have been really pissed if the car had just been repainted.

Originally Posted by TRANSAM82-92
...some person changing their childs diaper next to my car obviously, thought it ok to place dirty disposable diaper in my back seat since there were no garbage cans around (close).
So I'm not the only one who has found someone's crap in the back seat of there car lol!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:25 PM

Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Step 1: buy a Rot or Pit
Step 2: train to bark not bite
Step 3: buy studded collar
Step 4: leave in car with windows down and top down/off
Step 5: enjoy no one parking next to you for at least 3 spaces away
Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 PM
Supreme Member

Ive seen dob pinchers like that, but well trained to stay in the car. I saw two tough guys jump into each others arms in fear as the dog would not bark till someone was right next to the car. [ street parking, sidewalk] So suddenly just as you get by the window, two killer dogs from hell lurch their heads out the window and let lose.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:09 PM

Car: 91 Firebird

Originally Posted by NOSHOWALLGO
A$$ whipping time lol. I would have been really pissed if the car had just been repainted.
Paint job was only a year old....
Old 05-13-2014, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by PATRIOTIC1911
Paint job was only a year old....
That sucks
Old 05-15-2014, 09:51 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc Z28 Convertible
Engine: V8 5.0 305 TBI

I leave mine down all the time. I even left it down all day while I was working. Definitely did not have my eye on it all the time but my work does have a security vehicle driving around so maybe I felt more comfortable. I also leave it down when I go in to get groceries, though I rarely take my 89 vert to get groceries =)

I also have an alarm system that will notify me within a 2 mile area if someone triggers it and why. I guess it wouldn't stop an idiot from throwing or spitting in it though.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:09 AM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Transmission: 700R4

Originally Posted by lonsal
I use 3 options depending on the location, how long I'll be away from the car and whether I have an opportunity to have "eyes on" in the interim.

Option 1: top down, windows up.

Option 2: top up.

Option 3: install the convertible cover.

http://www.classicindustries.com/cam...s/tc3004b.html

CI selll a version, but I actually bought mine decades ago from California Car Cover Co. Regardless the design and function are the same.

Lon

Any pics of it mounted. How well does it really work??!?!?!

Thanks

Eric
Old 05-24-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27

It works very well. There are 4 straps that mount between the tonneau cover and trunk before you close the trunk. Pull it forward, it goes over the windshield and is held by the windshield wipers. There are straps that go thru the locked door handles and Velcro in place. Another pair of straps go around the side view mirrors and Velcro in place. It keeps leaves and prying eyes out of the interior of the car. It also cuts down on the wear and tear of constantly raising and lowering the top. Mine is over 20 years old and is in need of replacement. I had a dry cleaner sew the straps that attach to the tonneau back on about 7 years ago because the original thread had rotted from UV exposure. The strap that goes around the drivers door handle has torn off and got lost. But I still use it on a regular basis.

Lon
Old 05-30-2014, 03:59 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Transmission: 700R4

Originally Posted by lonsal
It works very well. There are 4 straps that mount between the tonneau cover and trunk before you close the trunk. Pull it forward, it goes over the windshield and is held by the windshield wipers. There are straps that go thru the locked door handles and Velcro in place. Another pair of straps go around the side view mirrors and Velcro in place. It keeps leaves and prying eyes out of the interior of the car. It also cuts down on the wear and tear of constantly raising and lowering the top. Mine is over 20 years old and is in need of replacement. I had a dry cleaner sew the straps that attach to the tonneau back on about 7 years ago because the original thread had rotted from UV exposure. The strap that goes around the drivers door handle has torn off and got lost. But I still use it on a regular basis.

Lon
Have any pics of it mounted in it locations?