Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Can someone walk me through on changing my a/c condenser coil...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone walk me through on changing my a/c condenser coil...

If I take it to a shop its gonna run me like over $100 bucks. I looked at it and it has different points at were it looks like it can come off. Any walk through would be great cause i usaually dont work on this car too much myself...but it looks like its not gonna be that hard of a job though...just want some technical assistance.

Thanks...

Brandon
Old 07-19-2002, 03:30 PM

You don't mention if your ac system still has a charge. You will need to have it sucked out at a shop. If it's already empty then no worry.

If your '90 RS is setup similar to my IROC then you need to remove the top bolts supporting the fans. I left the bottom bolts in and just let the fans lay back toward the engine. Remove the upper panel above the radiator and condensor. Disconnect the upper and lower radiator hoses along with the overlow line. I also have the factory engine oil cooler line that I had to take off.
Carefully lift the radiator out. It is sitting on some rubber isolation pads.

The ac condensor has two connections on the passenger side. Get wrenches for both nuts so you can hold one while turning the other. You need to support the non-turning one because all you dealing with is aluminum and it doesn't take much to bend it.

Once those connections are off, then slide the top part of the condensor towards the engine and it will come out from under the radiator support. Lift it out. Note-It is more fragile than the radiator and the fins are very easy to bend so if you are re-using it handle it like eggs.

Voila` it's out.
Old 07-20-2002, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the info Lounge....im gonna order a condenser hopefully next week and put it in a recharge....its just too damn hot in Louisiana for no a/c.