Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

How much does a manifold gasket leak affect temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much does a manifold gasket leak affect temperature?

I was wondering, I have a slight intake manifold gasket leak, a 195 thermostat and a huge cooling problem... I am indeed fixing the leak soon, but how much does that affect my problem? What is a safe, cold temperature for the gauge to maintain? How can I achieve this temperature all the time? I have a 91 Z28 with a 5.7L, it has a dual fan set up. A shop recently told me that my fans do not engage properly, what could cause this? With my A/C on in traffic the car still overheats.... HELP ME!!!?!??!?!?
Old 07-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 with Eaton posi
I had a manifold gasket leak corrected a few weeks ago. I was constantly overheating and got so tired of the hot smell of coolant. It was real frustrating. So i had it fixed; the result is that the temp guage does not fluctuate as much as it used too, but I'm still not happy with the temp.

I've also got a cool fan switch installed so that the fan it controls turns on a lower temp.

I've got a hi-flow aluminum water pump in the mail (should drop the fcollant temp about 20 degrees)

The other fan is controlled by the ac and I don't think it will run unless the ac is on. I could be wrong. If its not working, it may be the fan motor.

A small coolant leak can change the temp more than u think. Keep a jug of coolant in your trunk and get that gasket fixed first and see where it gets you.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: "02 z-28
Engine: LS-1
Transmission: 4L60E
The reason it gets hotter is that you are losing pressure in the system. I think the formula is for every pound of pressure you raise the boiling point of the coolant 3 degrees. A 15lb. system will boil at around 265 deg. with a 50/50 mix coolant/water. Get a hold of a pressure tester and see what pressure the system will hold. That will tell you a lot. As far as the fans are concerned, just change both fan relays. They have always been a problem. GMSPO supplies a different relay(made in China) but electrically superior. Also make sure your relay connectors are not burnt. This is another source of trouble.