Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Rad cooling question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: LG4 modified
Transmission: 700R4
Rad cooling question

Ok....I tried a search, but can't remember what this thing is called, which made it difficult!

The plastic "fin" underneath the engine, which directs air flow to the radiator. The one that gets scuffed all the time. I was simply wondering this : If I remove the air conditioning rad, will I still need this fin? I figure that removing the air con one would allow a passage of air to the rad. Am I correct here?

Many thanks,

Si
Old 08-17-2002, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That fin below the radiator is usually called the air dam. I'm sure you'll still need it after you've removed the AC radiator. At high speeds the rad fan turns off and the cooling air all comes from underneath. Without this piece, the engine temp will be ok at low speeds but it will get hot at higher speeds.
Old 08-17-2002, 05:43 AM
Supreme Member

Car: "02 z-28
Engine: LS-1
Transmission: 4L60E
The air dam is the primary source of air flow to the radiator at speeds over 35 mph since these cars have no front grille. Remove it and your engine will run very hot, depending on ambient temp dangerously so.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:10 PM

Hey thanks for the input guys. I'll leave it on then! The only reason I thought I might get away with it off is the fact that through the bottom of the front bumper (fender?) - it has an IROC front bumper I think, the one with the 2 holes either side of the word Camaro - I can see straight through to the air con rad. I figured that was the only thing in the way. Hey, no big deal. The reason I wanted to remove it was because in this country, the roads can get rather bumpy...and of course there are speed humps everywhere. It tends to scrape the road a lot!

Thanks again,

Si
Old 08-17-2002, 05:46 PM

Si_camaro,

Perhaps you can use the openings you mentioned as a place for a cold air intake. It's nice to have ready made openings like that.
Old 08-17-2002, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Sciguyjim
Si_camaro,

Perhaps you can use the openings you mentioned as a place for a cold air intake. It's nice to have ready made openings like that.
You know, I was thinking the very same thing not so long ago. I might have got the description wrong about my front bumper, but I think it's an IROC one. I was thinking of getting some kind of guttering or similar, and attatching it to a hose directly to the air filter housing. Will this affect the cooling in any way, if I use it for that purpose, and therefore stop the air getting past the bumper?

Here's a pic of the car. If it's not an IROC bumper, can someone tell me what it is? Nobody can give me advice on these American "imports" !
Attached Thumbnails Rad cooling question-sicamside640.jpg  
Old 08-17-2002, 09:26 PM

Since you're keeping the air dam in place I'm guessing you'll be ok if you block part of the airflow through the openings. I can't help with the type of bumper you have, I have a '89 Trans Am. It has no openings in the bumper at all. At high and low speeds 100% of the cooling air has to come from below the rad.