Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

How to test fan motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to test fan motor?

I think 1 or both of my fan motors may be out, or drawing too much current. Reason I say that is that the ground cable that the 2 fans feed into was completely fried at the connector. It litterally melted a whole through the side of the connector. The other wires are fine. I could find no other short in the car, so I suspect that the 1 or both of the motors is drawing too much power to spin and the wire finally gave out.

My question is, how does one go about testing the motors outside the car to make sure that is in fact the problem? I am hesitant to try and hook those things back up again without checking the motors. I also don't want to just buy new ones if I don't have to.

Is there some sort of instrument (preferrably a cheap one!) that I can buy to test it out? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I am not quite sure if this will work for you, but it worked for me. I only have one fan, though (I'm not sure how different our fans are).

What I did was, with the fan out of the car, hang it on something so the fan can turn freely and you do not have to hold it. Get two wires, strip the ends, then connect one side of a wire to the positive side (terminal) of your battery (disconnect the battery cables from your car) and the other side of the same wire to one of the connectors on one of the fans. Then connect the other wire between the negative battery terminal and the other connector of the fan. When you connect it like this, you should see a small spark, and the fan should kick on. Do the same thing to the other and see if it comes on at all.

So, basically, just hotwire the fans to see if they come on. If the fans don't kick on, the fan motors are probably bad. I hope this works for you. It worked for me.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I can give that a try. But, isn't it accurate to say that just because the fans actually turn, that they are still drawing too much current, causing the wire to eventually burn out? Or do the motors just quite and don't work all of a sudden? I guess what I'm trying to say is, even though I can see the fans turn, how do I know if they are not turning fast enough?
Old 04-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
That I can't help you with. I am no expert on this. The only way I would know of how to check this would be to hook the fans up to the car and use a voltmeter or ammeter to see exactly how much voltage or current the fan motors are drawing. I don't know how much the are supposed to pull so I can't help you with that. Someone on this board should know, though.