Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Installing a a/c compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing a a/c compressor

Hello everyone,I just sold my 1991 pontiac firebird 3.1 and majorly upgraded to a 1987 5.7tpi camaro posi-traction .Ok heres my delimma the previous owner taken the a/c compressor out of and the lines also I was wondering since its gonna be a crazy summer how to re install also about putting freon in it and is this and easy project.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:22 PM

Car: 91 firebird, 89 trans am GTA
Re: Installing a a/c compressor

Well first I have to tell you that you will never get it to blow as cold as it use to. The system was designed to be used with r-12 but it is very expensive to get because the epa mandated several years ago that it be fased out and replaced with r-134a and it can only be handled by someone who is licensed. You would have to look in to having it retrofitted to use r-134a. I not sure if you can use the current components of your system with 134a or if you have to update some of the parts. I know that they have retro fit kits in the autopart stores that you can do yourself. Either way if you use 134a or you can get some r12 tools you would need are (a set of refrigeration guages for the refrigerant that you are using, a vacuum pump, and a bottle of leak tester bubbles) the method would to braze the compressor lines back in then pull a vacuum on it an when the left gauge pull down to 30 in of mercury shut off the pump and let it rest if the gauge doesn't move the you can add the refrigerant based on the instructions included in the kit. If it does move then you have a leak some where, that would be when you would use the leak test bubbles to try and find it.

Last edited by sfusco3; 05-20-2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: corrected grammer in the post
Old 05-20-2007, 10:47 PM

but the problem im having ther is no a/c compressor or nothing i will have to buy a compressor and lines and re hook everything up and I dont know how to do it im in pa and it gets really hot sometimes??? please help?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:41 AM

Car: 91 firebird, 89 trans am GTA

Well then your going to have to get 134a components. My advice to you would be to have it done and not try to replace it yourself. If anything gets into the system during the install and moisture or air remain your in for a costly repair cause the parts will fail.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:03 PM

thanks ?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:59 PM

Car: '88 GTA
Engine: L98 -350TPI

A Chilton Guide would help.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 83 Trans Am
Engine: LT1 350
Transmission: 5 Speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10bolt till it breaks

If your car still has the accumulator or reciever-drier( never worked on a 3rd gen so i'm not sure which it has), then you will have to replace that along with installing a new compressor. Word of advice, when you buy your accumulator or reciever-drier(whichever it requires), DO NOT REMOVE the plugs on it until immediately before you install it. if the accumulator or reciever-drier is open to atmosphere for 3 minutes or more it is ruined forever, it has a desiccant pouch inside that is there to remove moisture from the refrigerent, and when exposed to atmosphere its ruined because it will absorb the humidity from the air and then its useless to the system.

The A/C system is not very complicated, but you MUST know what your doing if you plan to install a system. I would also suggest a proffesional to do the install, especially if converting to 134a at the same time due to the fact that you'd be better off buying 134a components. you can use R-12 components with 134a but the seals are not usually compatible so in the distant future it will likely develope a leak. Also R-12 systems typically used a simple rubber based hose, and 134a requires a barrier type hose that has a nylon inner lining to prevent leaks due to the 134a having a smaller compound size which leaks through smaller holes.

Also another benefit to using the 134a components is that you can get the proper FOT or TXV which are different sizes or specs for the two systems.

Also the high/low side sensor/switch's are different for the two systems due to different operating pressures(134a is a higher pressure refrigerent), so here again getting 134a components would be the wiser decision.

I wonder if the A/C system on a 4th gen would be a direct swap, that would probably be a good route as far as expense if its possible to do so.

your looking at a very expensive job, and honestly unless you REALLY need it, I think I would just go without.
----------
Originally Posted by Beachmonkey6
A Chilton Guide would help.
The idiots at Haynes or Chilton's will probably tell you that this is a repair beyond the scope of the average person and to seek proffessional assistance, I hate those cheap *** manuals, they act like people are retarted or something. I own a haynes, but only use it for specs and nothing more, the instruction are usually wrong or lead a person through a lot of unnecesarry crap. A dealer service manual is the only way to go if you want a good manual, unfortunately they are getting harder and harder to get due to everything going to computer.

Last edited by hgffrank; 06-02-2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost