Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

A/C doesn't work at idle or low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C doesn't work at idle or low speeds

I hate to post but my eyes are wore out searching for the answer. I had my A/C converted at a local garage about a month ago. It blew cold air for about 3 weeks now it will only blow cold air if I'm on the highway. If I'm at idle or driving under 35mph it barely blows air. I thought it was the passenger fan deal so I just got done rewiring that but still nothing has changed. The compressor kicks on for 10 secs and kicks off for 10 secs and it's also leaking a little oil from the back I didn't know if I should look into a new compressor? Just looking for suggestions. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:42 PM

Re: A/C doesn't work at idle or low speeds

Originally Posted by Phatbulldog
I hate to post but my eyes are wore out searching for the answer. I had my A/C converted at a local garage about a month ago. It blew cold air for about 3 weeks now it will only blow cold air if I'm on the highway. If I'm at idle or driving under 35mph it barely blows air. I thought it was the passenger fan deal so I just got done rewiring that but still nothing has changed. The compressor kicks on for 10 secs and kicks off for 10 secs and it's also leaking a little oil from the back I didn't know if I should look into a new compressor? Just looking for suggestions. Thanks.
If the compressor is coming on while you are idleing, it sounds like you have a cooling problem. Make sure the condensor doesn't have leafs or anything piled up in front of it. Also run your hand around the condensor from top to bottom and from left to right. You should feel a graudual change from HOT to WARM. IF there is a sudden COLD spot the condensor is probly stopped up. Check your lines aswell, they could have kinks or be restricted. If there is a restriction in any way shape or form you will feel a temp. drop, but there is supose to be a temp drop, but on in one place either at your Orfice Tube or Expansion valve(depends on what kind of system you have, and you only have on or the other). Also if your compressor is leaking oil it is maybe leaking refrigerant aswell, but i think low refrigerant would be hot at anytime not just at idle.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:59 PM

Re: A/C doesn't work at idle or low speeds

You have a slow leak. It's normal for a car with low refrigerant not to cool at lower speeds. You should take it back to the place that did the conversion.... they should have caught that.