Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Original Fan Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 Camaro
Engine: 305 TBI
Original Fan Problem

Okay, so what is the deal with these fans? We found out we have a trouble with the old fan being slightly warped. So a shop takes a look, jerry-rigs a fix where zip ties and sockets form a type of spacer to the two screws at the bottom of the fan. I get the replacement fan, put it in place, go to put the fan back in place the way they had it - and find out it still doesn't line up. Any which way i try it. Including the correct way. If the top two screws line up to the shroud, the bottoms won't line up. And actually, there's no way to rotate the fan to get both bottom screws to line up simultaneously (the proper way). So what the hell is going on? Is this is a aftermarket fan or something? Why doesn't it fit? It came out of the car. Best i could tell or remember there was no jerry-rig before the shop got it (though i'm not entirely sure about that). There's a rounded collar for the fan to sit in at the bottom, but when my fan sits in there 1) it won't allow the top two screws to meet and 2) it holds the fan so close to the radiator that the fins get rubbed. So i assume the two at the bottom need a spacer or longer screws. But why do i have four screws the same length? Ugh. Sorry. It's frustrating. I was hoping to find a picture in here or around the web since my manual doesn't show the radiator fan setup as i need it.

Anybody got any ideas?