Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

coolant fan problem not fixed

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant fan problem not fixed

I have dual coolant fans and neither one comes on.Did every test in the GM shop manual and everything checks out but still no fans.Put in a 212 degree fan switch and still no secondary fan.Put in new sender and changed the temp gauge,goes into the red and still no fans.What else could it be?Thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: coolant fan problem not fixed

Dual fans - primary controlled by the ECM though the coolant temp sensor in the intake by the thermostat, secondary controlled by the fan switch in the pass side head. Both fans have relays. Check/change the relays? Did you apply 12v to each fan to make sure the motors work? Also know, that the guages are far from accurate - just because the gauge reads "in the red" doesn't mean the car actually got warm enough for the fans to run at all.

Ground the wire from the fan switch in pass head, see if the fan runs - if it does, then you know the relay is good an the fan switch is bad, or elkse the car didn't get hot enough yet.

If it were me, I'd skip all the factory half-a$$ed fan control junk, and run a seperate fan controller for the fans - way easier to deal with, works awesomely, no coolant leaking with fan switch replacement all the time since they probe the radiator fins.