Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Air in my system? Or bigger problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4
Air in my system? Or bigger problems?

The other day a friend of mine decided to loosen my radiator cap and not tell me about it..I took off to work made it there and back home then i noticed dripping and when i opened the hood my radiator cap was loose and foaming up all my coolant

I was glad it was just a loose cap and i caught it on time so i filled up the car with water since it had spilled about 75% of the coolant and monitored for leaks over the next two days. Yesterday i noticed foam in my coolant reservoir and im wondering if this has anything to do with what happened? I also noticed i had left my vacuum advance vacuum line unplugged so i was hoping that was the reason for the foaming although the car seemed to work fine.

Can air be drawn in to the system by running with an open cap?

Could it have been drawn through the hei distributors vac advance vaccum leak?

Or could the vaccum advance line being disconnected cause the car to heat up enough to foam up the coolant/water?(although no signs of improper timing were present)

Not really sure where i should head with this im gonna flush the system and monitor the reservoir. My temp gauge isnt trustworthy and is what got me here in the first place.

I switched out the thermostat last night and everything seems to be running right.. Water pump is working because when i give it gas the coolant level in radiator goes down and up as i let go of the gas.( no leaks anywhere or bearing noise, pulley seems tight)

-Oil checks out fine.
-Air dam is present
-waterpump seems to be working
-thermostats been replaced
-no signs of coolant leaks

Only thing i can think of doing is a coolant flush and hope for the best. Because ive checked everything and it all seems fine.

Any ideas?

Last edited by J0hn_J0hn08; 09-06-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2012 F350 lariot/1991 Camaro RS
Engine: Powerstroke/6.0
Transmission: 6R100/4L80e
Axle/Gears: 3.73/3.42
Re: Air in my system? Or bigger problems?

just keep it toped off and the coolant system has nothing to do with your vacum system if it does then you have some problems

worst case senario is when you were low on coolant you overheated the engine and possibly warped a head and now have a leaking head gasket
Old 09-06-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc-Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700R4

Wouldnt a leaking head gasket mix coolant with my oil though? Is there any particular way of testing for a head gasket leak?

Could an intake gasket leak produce
The same bubble effects? Because behind my passenger head i have been battling with an oil leak and i cant pinpoint where its coming from exactly and im guessing its most likely the intake or valve covers although its not a big leak.

Ive reved the engine and didnt see any bubbles form. But when i first noticed the reservoir and uncapped the radiator there was white bubbles up until about halfway inside the radiator.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2012 F350 lariot/1991 Camaro RS
Engine: Powerstroke/6.0
Transmission: 6R100/4L80e
Axle/Gears: 3.73/3.42

you can check compresion but it doesnt always mean coolant in the oil it could be cylinder pressure over pressurizing your coolant system if its very slight but keep in mind you noticed something and are catching it before it gets bad