Cooling Discuss all of the aspects of cooling that you can think of! Radiators, transmissions, electric fans, etc.

Blower motor stay on,with switch at “OFF”

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 chevy camaro,z28
Engine: crate 350,headers,3in exhaust
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 308------3.73 auburn unit
Blower motor stay on,with switch at “OFF”

I recently had the car out for a drive and put the defogger on for a time,
i parked the car for about a week and decided to take it out for a ride,
when i went to start the car i noticed the blower motor was blowing,but the selector was in the “off” position,
no mater how i move the switch it keeps blowing,
i dont hear the typical hissing sound associated with the vacuum line leak thats a common issue for many,
but, no matter how i move my Hi-Lo switch its a steady and continuous air flow, it does not change.
it killed the battery to the point where the car wont start so i have yet to see the full affect with a fully charged battery,
Old 08-16-2018, 07:13 PM

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Blower motor stay on,with switch at “OFF”

It almost sounds like two separate but close problems when you look at how these are connected. The fan being on even when the selector is off by itself would have to be a problem with the selector switch. Now, the fan speed not changing would have to be the speed switch. There is a small possibility you have a problem with the resistor pack but that usually results in a no fan in one or more of the three low speeds. The high speed is controlled by a relay that is right by the blower motor. If that was stuck on you would get full speed fan all the time even with the key off so it cant be that if the blower turns off with the key off. The hi speed position on the speed switch will activate the relay but it cant activate the relay unless it has power from the selector switch. So be sure the speed is actually not changing before you troubleshoot that part.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by PaulyC
It almost sounds like two separate but close problems when you look at how these are connected. The fan being on even when the selector is off by itself would have to be a problem with the selector switch. Now, the fan speed not changing would have to be the speed switch. There is a small possibility you have a problem with the resistor pack but that usually results in a no fan in one or more of the three low speeds. The high speed is controlled by a relay that is right by the blower motor. If that was stuck on you would get full speed fan all the time even with the key off so it cant be that if the blower turns off with the key off. The hi speed position on the speed switch will activate the relay but it cant activate the relay unless it has power from the selector switch. So be sure the speed is actually not changing before you troubleshoot that part.
i really appreciate your quick response, in the mean time before your answer i put the battery on the charger and did some thinking, the blower was on without the key being on or the vehicle running, im begining to think that it must be the relay.
with your input i feel more confident that a relay may be the issue.
now as for the heater controls can i purchase a new heater control hookup?
an do you feel a relay would be available at a local autoparts store??
Old 08-16-2018, 08:16 PM

Relays are available at any parts store they are fairly generic. And yes if the blower is on even with the key off the relay is likely sticking on. You can test this by unplugging the relay and it should turn off and only high speed will not function, the rest of the speeds should work correctly.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by PaulyC
Relays are available at any parts store they are fairly generic. And yes if the blower is on even with the key off the relay is likely sticking on. You can test this by unplugging the relay and it should turn off and only high speed will not function, the rest of the speeds should work correctly.
hmmm ok that makes sense, i just removed the relay.
i will check everything tomorrow after work and give you a heads up, really appreciate the info!
Old 08-16-2018, 09:27 PM

No problem, and here is a bit more, this is the diagram for the controls. You can see the two different power sources for the blower motor. One for the three low speeds is brn/wht from the selector switch and this also powers the coil for the high speed instead of the blower motor. The power for high speed routes through the blower relay and sourced from an always hot fusible link. You can see how a sticky relay can cause this problem and how the lower speeds will still work with the relay unplugged.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Note that Pauly's diagnosis only applies to a car w stock wiring... no switches, no spliced wires, no hack jobs. Also note that it will make the blower run at full tilt 100% boogie 100% of the time.

You may not be able to find an "exact replacement" relay at the parts store, or anywhere else, really; don't really know; but it's just a relay. Any relay with 30A contacts or greater, and a 12V coil, will work. All you would have to do is adjust the connector(s) going to it. Or, you could order this right here https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pr...roducts_id/503 and solder the new connector pins onto your existing wires. Personally I wouldn't trust just crimping em.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:45 PM

It was the relay!
juts installed it now,
again i appreciate the information.
Thank you to the both of you!