DFI and ECM Discuss all aspects of DFI (Digital Fuel Injection), ECMs (Electronic Control Module), scanners, and diagnostic equipment. Fine tune your Third Gen computer system for top performance.

I need impartial feedback on the haltech E6GM

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need impartial feedback on the haltech E6GM

I did a search on this subject but the info I got whas pretty much nothing solid.

I notcied alot of opposition agins using something "non" GM, but nothing concrete.

Has annyone that say this is junk ever used it? Or is it just -what I have heard from someone else that had heard it from a friends brother", kind of thing?
Why I ask is becuase I have made alot of reading about this, and found that there shouldent really be anny kind of downsides? Atleast not for the way I use my car.

Im not interested in comfort really , or fuel economy, TCC ( got a 6spd ), cruise control. THe only thing I will miss is the knock censor, but I could get a MSD knock count.

I think its pretty expensive, thats a downside I know. But be abel to tune in "realtime" is pretty handy, special when my plans is to go supercharged in the future.

Im doing a topend job right now, heads, cam etc. And im thinking of getting a E6GM to tune my car with. There are not many people that can tune GM cars here in Sweden. But with the E6GM I can get alot of help, the haltech system is popular in Sweden.

Now to the questions.
Tell me your experince with this system?
Down and upsides.

Is there a better way/system out there, give me your ides.
Im not a haltech fan, I just think its pretty nice to "just" plug it in to the OEM cabels.

How does the other functions on the work, will the OEM ecm still take care of that?
And must I mod the orginal ECM to not throw any codes, how does that work?

Thanks for your time...Hope you can guid me..
Old 12-30-2002, 05:46 PM

Car: 89 Iroc Z Cnvertible
Engine: 409 SR
Transmission: 6 speed
I am using the the E6GM.

Only downside I see is not having a knock sensor capability.

Price?. Well to be able to tune real time I think its worth it.

There is a better place to find out more about this and ask questions about the Haltech specifically:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/HaltechSupport/

http://pub58.ezboard.com/bhaltechdiscussionforum

and Haltech's email support: support@haltech.com.au

The installation is real simple. Unplug the OEM ECM (might have to change 2-3 pin locations in the ECM connectors) and plug the HALTECH ECM in.

FWIW, using the software is easssssy, however it's the tuning experience I lack.

As for better systems?..got me, I knew I wanted the Haltech cause of the cost and ability to tune on the fly instead of having to take the chip out and reburn it casue I needed to make a change in it....

One last thing. The Haltech has 2 plugs and replaces the ECM for the MAF cars, not the SD cars which have 3 connectors on the ECM....keep that in mind. I think it can work with some repinning but havent come across anyone who has tried or looked into it.

HTH some
Old 12-30-2002, 10:07 PM

Car: '88 Camaro ragtop
Engine: 379 destroker
Transmission: m6
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt/3.42
I'm also using the Haltech E6GM. Like Frobozz mentions, not having a knock sensor is an issue, but I'm working on a way around that. I paid $550 USD for mine a few years ago brand new, so I don't tihnk the cost is hugely expensive compared to some other fully programmable ECM's. I actually did a TBI to TPI swap when i installed the haltech and it was just a matter of repinning one wire and removing one wire from the stock harness and added the 8 injector wires to the TBI injector wires. SO far I've gotten 342 rwhp and 400 rwtq out of the system. Keep in mond this isn't a WB tune itself type system, but then it doesn't cost quite as much either. THere is a the new E11 system out now from Haltech which is supposed ot much more powerful.....you may want to look into that. In terms of buying it, I don't know what the exchange rate is, but I would look at buying it from an Australian dealer if they'll sell it to you. DO a search for Hitman and Haltech.....he seems to be one of the Haltech Gurus and does sell systems. HTH Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:45 AM

i tought the e6gm would work on a SD system cause it use a map censor right? hmm..
Old 12-31-2002, 10:32 AM

The Haltech is an SD system, it just uses a 2 plug ECM harness setup, which is apparantly similar for the MAF and TBI harness. YOu can use it, you'll just need to repin a few more wires than we did and use the right ECM connectors. The other thing to consider is dash gauge operation.....I do not know if they are somehow linked to the ECM operation, so you may need to piggyback the stock ECM and let it control the gauges. I know craig has a '91/'92 dash swapped into his car, maybe he could help out with that. The E6GM is pretty flexible, I know of one person actually useing them on an LT1 engine.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:23 PM

the 2 plug 3 plug thing is the samething they told me when I called. No ware did I see anything about not using a knock sensor guess I should have asked. I got the pin out for both cars a 2 plug and a 3 plug its looks to me like you will have to do a piggy back with the stock ecm. There is a data line on pin A9 (461org) thats ties into the air bag and M of the ALDL I don't know what its does maybe just a test that blinks the light on the dash. and check out the speedometer.I was going to do the samething to my 91z28 but I just found a accel-dfi for the same price in my area so I'm getting it. good luck

I saw your post on the haltech board, I did the samething and no one gave me any info sounded to me like they didn't put to much thought into the e6gm
Old 01-20-2003, 08:32 PM

I am also interested in either the E6GM or E6K. The specs sheet says that it has an extra analog input. Wouldn't this be for the knock sensor?
Old 01-20-2003, 09:03 PM

I've been trying to get some info on this, but I don't believe it that easy. The spare analog input is a 0 to 5V range and all it will do is record the voltage. The stock voltage out of the knock sensor (or the ESC module) I believe is 0 to 12 volts....if anyone can offer some insight to this that would be great.

In terms of the E6GM, its one of those you get what you pay for.....its relatively inexpensive and is not meant to compete with the Speed Pro system or equivalent. It is also basically an adaptation of the standard E6 series of ECMs from Haltech with some GM specific input. It was also designed for Aussie cars/trucks, not sure how they might differ in terms of knock control. If you ask the Haltech tuners that are on that other list, they are pretty strongly opinionated that knock sensors in general are not a useful tuning tool, but I believe most of their opinions are based more on import knowledge as import Turbo cars seem to be the norm for them. Again I don't know in general a lot about that knock control on those cars, etc..

In the end I like mine and I like the ability to make on the fly tuning changes......would I like something fancier....sure, but I guess I'm not willing to pay for it yet. Would I like to burn proms, etc....sure...wish I knew more about that as I do believe the stock GM ECM a powerful piece, but I had gone this route back when the DIY stuff wasn't as well laid out as it is now, etc... HTH
Old 01-20-2003, 10:37 PM

other input

that other input can be used for a wide band O2, The computer won't use it to control anything but it will graft it out so you can see what rpm things are happening at. At least thats the way they ment it to work when I called and talked to them. I never got one because I found a good deal on a accel dfi and a super ram but i don't like the accel very much yet. I'm having issues with the knock sensor on it. It pulls timing out no matter what i do. unhook it ground it or whatever. I'm going to call there tech line tomarow.

oh yea the wide band is in a DIY kit that out puts 1-5V theres a chart to convert it the voltage to A/F ratio on the haltech message board
Old 01-25-2003, 10:47 AM

haltech

i just found this pin out haltechE6GM CONNECTOR PINOUTS

PLUG 1

A1 - PUMP RELAY B1 - N/C
A2 - N/C B2 - N/C
A3 - N/C B3 - CRANK SENSOR GND
A4 - N/C B4 - N/C
A5 - N/C B5 - CRANK SENSOR SIGNAL
A6 - +13.8V SWITCHED B6 - N/C
A7 - TCC B7 - N/C