DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Anyone burning chips and using Ease Scan tool?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 w/TransGo
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt w/3.73s
Anyone burning chips and using Ease Scan tool?

I have been from the start, but I am having trouble connecting up with my laptop. The scan tool works fine on other vehicles. The Ease people it might be because I have modified the PROM, but I don't think so. There is a patch coming out soon, to help me with my connecting. I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems. Kind of hard to burn new chips when you don't have any scan data!!
Old 04-17-2002, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Mullitt mobile :)
Engine: it's stock LOL
Transmission: 700rJunk
Axle/Gears: 2 much 4 street not enough for strip
I am. Never had any problems hooking up with any chips I've burnt in. Have had problems with it hooking up to my wife's Astro van(used to work, but after a buddy of mine hooked a Tech II to it I haven't been able to connect).

Sparks a flyin'
Old 04-18-2002, 04:39 AM

Try replacing the cable that runs from the scan tool to the computer (serial interface cable). I had trouble with EASY connecting when I first got it and called EASY, they told me to try a loop back tester, so I did and it would fail about 3/4 of the time. Went and got a new cable and it's worked with out any problems for the last 3 months. You might also try a deferent laptop just to make sure that your laptop is working right.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I have tried my scan tool on my 92 S15, and it hooked up fine in about 5 sec, with the same hardware. But I am willing to try anything. I could change out the cable. Susan at Ease says I am the only one with connecting problems. I have a lot of $$ invested in this system, so I need it to work! Can't reall y burn any new chips w/o feedback.

What interface are you all using when you connect?
Old 04-18-2002, 07:54 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
With Diacom there is a different Cable for MAF TPIs and everything else. You would have had to do this with your TPI and S15 and I was wondering if sucha difference exists with EASE. Maybe a "setting" you need to reflect this difference with EASE?

I am just "tossing ideas" out for you to consider.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:04 PM

I got windows 98 on a dell P III 500.
Do you just use “Scan Previous vehicle” all the time? Have you tried scanning “New Vehicle”?

Have you tried deleting all the info on your car and redoing it?

Have you tried to remove EASY and reloading it?

Wonder if it might be the ALDL plug on the computer, have you tried to jump pin A and B and see if you get the diagnostic codes?

What bin editor are you using?

I can not think of anything else to try and have never read anything about anybody having a problem with EASY working after burning a chip but it might be possible. Have you tried burring an older bin to see if that might fix it, or just putting in the stock chip, this would be a good test to try if you have a bin that you know worked before?
I have burned a lot of chips and have never had a problem with easy connecting.

Glenn I do my 92 (SD) all the time and have scanned friends 85 Firebird (MAF) with out changing any settings, you do have to log in the info about the vehicle that you are scanning, but no other changes are needed. It handles any GM OBD1 and OBD II that still has the OBD I ALDL plug and all you need to do OBD II is the cable, but that was way more $$.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:57 PM

Tonight I tried a brand new serial cable, a bit long but new. It didn't connect up that quickly, started going thru the interfaces, with no luck. Then I hit reset to get me back to the 160/8192 interface, which the best one from what I hear. It didn't hook right away, so I hit the key on/off once, then it connected right up. I did about a 15minute idle test and record. Seemed to work ok. Not sure if it was the cable just have to try it again.

I do use scan previous vehicle, but I also go in from "browse" mode. Seems to go quicker. I am only linking to my camaro, so the laptop allways stays with my camaro info at startup.

Never tried deleting my car info, and starting over, but good idea. I loaded a new version of the tool last year, and I found out there is still a newer one. But I heard that it doesn't offer any improvements for my car. So I will wait till the next update comes out. I prefer not to reload the software. I think you loose all your saved scans, or something like having to pull them all back in. Not really a big deal, since I usually just pull the data from my laptop to the desktop PC for analysis.

Diagnostic mode works fine. I have had connecting trouble with various (custom) bins, but I haven't tried my original GM chip. I may stick that back in, since I need to check out something else anyways. The Ease people say it is just me reporting problems. They suggest I hit reset several times when connecting, and also the key off/on switch to help change timing of the serial data coming out.

I used to run Diacom, but sold it and got the windows scan tool from Ease. With Diacom I had the 2 cables you mention. Ease has only 1. They do the switcheroo for TPI cars in the software.
With Diacom, I could only get low-speed data out, which is 160baud. That was even before I burned my own chips. I think the low-speed data was from diagnostic mode, can't really remember. That data stream was not that useful, since the high speed data is there.

I will have to try some more scans and see how it works.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:33 PM

Sounds like it might be working, hope so.

What version do you have and how did you get the upgrade?

Last edited by Z_Ghost; 04-20-2002 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:01 PM

Yea, me too. I haven't tried any scans since my last post.

I am running vers 1.0.9.0 right now. I think the latest is 1.0.12.1 for GM OBDI vehicles. Susan said this newer update does not do anything more for my car, so don't bother with getting it. They are working on another update, and she said that one will have a possible fix for my connect problems. The updates don't seem to be free, according to the website.

Last summer I got my update for free since I helped them out with some Beta testing of their software.

I wonder if the ECM in my car has a bug. I think my scan tool is working ok. I should try scanning someone else's TPI car.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:25 AM

I have version 1.0.12.1 . If you were closer we could swap and see what happens. Lets us know if you get it fixed.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:56 AM

Mike check your PM on this board, your E-mail address did not work.
Old 04-24-2002, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by MikeT 88IROC350
Susan at Ease says I am the only one with connecting problems.
Fib.

Does your laptop have an infared setup on it? If so, go into the settings when you boot the computer up and disable it.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:06 PM

Not sure what you mean by "infrared setup"? It is just a basic notebook PC, CTX 266Mhz, with a touchpad mouse pad, PCI card modem and standard serial and parallel com ports. No optical interfaces.

Today I made 2 scans with my EASE scan tool, going to work and again home. Connected up better now, using a different serial cable. Got some good data.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:21 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 383 Supercharged and Intercooled
Transmission: 6-Speed
Axle/Gears: Stock 10 bolt 3.42
MikeT 88IROC350,

Hey I'm having the same problem with my Ease connecting to my Formula. Do you have any more problems since you changed the cable?

I have disabled all the infrared COM port connections also in device manager.

Haven't tried connecting since then, though.

Quote:
"Then I hit reset to get me back to the 160/8192 interface, which the best one from what I hear."

What do you mean? You hit reset on the vehicle comunications page? On that page it say interface type. It this what you are talking about?

Any new tricks I should know. Thanks
Old 09-13-2002, 07:43 PM

Disable the infared by going to the setup screen when you boot the computer. It should say something like hit F2 for setup or similar, go in there and disable the infared. That is what I had to do on my laptop, disabling it through windoze did not work.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:53 PM

Wow. This is an old post, back from the dead. Gotta love those email reminders when a new post comes in.

I have been using my Ease Scan tool quite a bit this summer. Mostly scanning on my way into work and back home. It has been working fairly well. I am using a 15' serial cable, I beleive it is the original one that came with the tool. I didn't want to use it from the getgo, since it was so long. So this cable seems to be better.

But it still doesn't "connect up" real quick. What I do is wait for it to link, and if it don't pick the 160/8192 interface, I hit the reset button. This is on the "vehicle comm. page", as you mention. That interface works good for me, I get solid data with no false codes.

Another trick I have learned is to turn the ignition on-off for a few seconds, and hit the reset. This helps getting the tool to connect.

I have heard nothing from Ease (Susan) about any updates. Haven't checked the website either.

Max, good tip on the infrared disable, will have to check it out.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:57 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 383 Supercharged and Intercooled
Transmission: 6-Speed
Axle/Gears: Stock 10 bolt 3.42
Yeah, got to love that search feature.

madmax: I will try that next time I start the computer.

MikeT 88IROC350: I guess I need to be patient and use you little tricks you mentioned.

Thanks again guys.