DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

history of prom burning......

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
As far as GM Emulators /documents, from the few I know of, they were left overs from some of the GM College sponored design competitions. None of them that I know of had the software to use the system. There's a rumor that one of the AU firms got a full blown genuine setup, but that's just a rumor.

There are lots of guys that worked real hard off any list at trying to figure out the GM code.

Lingenfelter, and Callaway are two firms that got some back door GM Tech Support. There's a few other smaller player firms that got some rather interesting data, from GM. And again, there are some one man shops have done such great work, that it would be hard to tell their work from something that GM gave to them.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Grumpy
As far as GM Emulators /documents, from the few I know of, they were left overs from some of the GM College sponored design competitions. None of them that I know of had the software to use the system. There's a rumor that one of the AU firms got a full blown genuine setup, but that's just a rumor.

There are lots of guys that worked real hard off any list at trying to figure out the GM code.

Lingenfelter, and Callaway are two firms that got some back door GM Tech Support. There's a few other smaller player firms that got some rather interesting data, from GM. And again, there are some one man shops have done such great work, that it would be hard to tell their work from something that GM gave to them.
Thanks for your post. I had a strong feeling (some) aftermarket companies must of had GM supplied information. For some reason I keep thinking about thick manila folders and large sums of cash.

So...could you answer my questions about the BUA hac? any of them?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by DM91RS
Bruce.............nice words for ecmguy

IIRC reading several mag articles in the early ninties about Bill Howell having worked at GM before going into business for himself. He was one of the only one's early on that I remember selling and/or tuning chips......mostly TBI since he would sell the retrofit kits that you could install on a "hot" motor. At that time I beleive the engine in the article was and early version ZZZ crate engine.
I still miss him. There's been a few folks in my life that I would in call *friend* and he was one. I've pass along a clue about him, you can see *his way* of writtting all over the net.

As I recall Howell was actually a suspension guy. Having contacts at work, is nice thou.

The ZZZ cal was a GM developement, from what I heard. They wanted an oem part number, and went to great lenghts to get the cal EPA/CARB firendly. You have to remember in those days, the EPA did their own emission testing.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 11sORbust
The BUA hac. Where did it come from? I didn't see any names on it, just dates. The first one I find is 08/85 . Then it comments later than XXX portion was disassembled 02-05-95. Next date down is from 94. Looking at the bpw vs load table section, it was disassembled on 7-22-89. Was the dates a way to fudge up a GM doc, in order to cover things? If not, then it was a work in progress spanning from 89-95 (at least).
I'm not sure which one your talking about, but in general it's common to find comments updating someone's original work. So while the first attempt at hac'ing might have been in 85, *he* may have not gotten back to it until 95. 10 years really isn't that long.......

I've seen *comments* in EFI stuff, that were dated long before GM sold an EFI'd car. GM originally bought the 68HCxx as a package from Motorola, so the very, very first codes were all from *kennels* developed by motorola.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 11sORbust
I found something very interesting in that article. THe single quote, " Besides, GM has let it be known they don't like people messing around inside their computers" . I really wish that I knew what they ment exactly.
Gm has been fighting the EPA since day one, about source code. There are lawyers that have spent their entire careers, and retired doing nothing but keeping GM's actual source code *private*. Originally, they (the EPA) mandated that the source code was to be public domained. But, GM, Ford, and all the oems consider it intellectual property, and will not publically domain any of it.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 355 (fastburn heads, LT4 HOT cam)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt, 3.27
Gm has been fighting the EPA since day one, about source code. There are lawyers that have spent their entire careers, and retired doing nothing but keeping GM's actual source code *private*. Originally, they (the EPA) mandated that the source code was to be public domained. But, GM, Ford, and all the oems consider it intellectual property, and will not publically domain any of it.
And from my understanding, they're even more protective of their stuff now. Pretty much, all they HAVE to do is provide the stuff that makes the vehicle compliant with the OBD2 stuff, and make it pass the emissions tests. From what I've been told, the EPA does give a rat's a** HOW they do stuff, just so that it passes the emissions tests, and when it doesn't, it alerts the vehicle operator in they way the EPA wants them notified (SES light aka. MIL)

As a side note......
This has been a very imformative post for me, and I've come to appreciate the pioneers even more, especially since a few more have been named.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:09 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by JP84Z430HP
From what I've been told, the EPA does give a rat's a** HOW they do stuff, just so that it passes the emissions tests,
Recently, the EPA has gotten completely out the new car testing. The oems have to show the inspectors all that they're doing, and the manufacturer signs a *certificate* of compliance. It there winds up being a problem, it's all on the manufacturer's side of the fence, since they said it complied. The whole system is about catch 22's now. An inspector, can write a note, that costs an oem millions of dollars, and there is no appeal policy. Its a good idea (the EPA) that's been corrupted by money and power.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

Its a good idea that's been corrupted by money and power.
Like all good ideas...