DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

just ordered a AUJP prom, was this a good idea with my mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
just ordered a AUJP prom, was this a good idea with my mods

I am desperatly trying to understand all this DIY prom stuff and I am basically forcing myself to read all this stuff to the point that I get so confused on it that I have to take a break, Anyway, I want to start doing my own prom burning and have a few questions, first, I just ordered a new prom from GM with the AUJP BIN. is that the best starting point for my car with the mods i have:
383 10:1CR,AFR 190's 224/230 cam, and T56. other mods are in sig. do I have too many mods to use this prom in its stock form for a little while until I learn more of this DIY stuff?i dont want to burn my engine up. one of my biggest concerns is the t56 working with this prom. should i have got a diff prom? I already have the AXYC one but it was for a 305tpi/T5 and IIRC, I read somewhere here that its always best to get a prom that is the closest to your setup as possible. this is why I chose the AUJP. Im starting to think I didnt need to now? I am totally lost here.

also, why cant I open the ZIP files from the custom bin's page on craigs site.I wanna see if the super AUJP bin will work for me. do I need that program he sells to open these? I am about to buy the GP1 package he has and I hope this will work for me. I WANT to have the ability to do real time datalogging.

I will understand this, I am gonna force myself to even it is means headahces going to bed everynight.

also, I have a piggyback prom from Fastchip(Ed Wright Automotive) atached to my AXYC prom in the car now. How can I view what is on this piggyback thing? I wanna see what changes these guys actually made?
Old 08-21-2004, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones

Will answer most of your questions.

U wont be able to view the files from craigs site(least the .bin files) unless u have some type of editor like Tunercat or TunerPro.

All of this is in the stickies, read Trax's Prom Intro article and should clear it up for you.

Only other way is hex and if your just learngin, it ownt make sense to you anyhow(great to learn though)

later
Jeremyh
Old 08-22-2004, 01:28 AM
Z69
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have similar combos and that is the route I'm taking too.
I think a few guys run aujp and a manual, not sure. There were a few posts in the last year about which bin for an A4 to T56 swap. Try a T56 & swap search.

A 350 manual vette bin might be a better choice. If there is one. I think that was one of the responses to that thread. I follow that stuff since my other car is a manual with a big cam so I'm learning on the smaller cam'd motor.
I haven't got to the point of tracing what the A4 code in aujp does since I have an A3 currently.
I think it just prevents Hiway mode.
Which is disabled anyway in the stock aujp and enabled in S_Aujp.
All you have to do is change the Hiway mode enable temp to 157*. Make sure to read the txt file that comes with the S_aujp. Trax says everything he changes.
Hiway mode was the only thing of concern. You do not want it on during initial tuning. Oh, there are some problems with the speedo cal too.
Can't remember since I have to buy a mag sensor any way so it's not a concern to me. I think this applies regardless of bin though.
More searching...

Send Mangus a donation and get TunerPro RT. Have you decided on a burner yet? Craigs' stuff works.
Just depends on your budget.
The AutoProm is very slick, and until Craig cam up with the Burn1, it was the cheapest route to DIY prom burning.

The prominator is good too I've heard.
Since I have 2 cars it was not the best choice for me.

This tied a lot of things togethor for me, Not sure if it will help you yet or not.
Remember, it's for a 7749 but it's similar to 8D. And just keep reading all the stickies. It will either make sense or you'll at least know what to tune.

P4 pdf

Not sure, but some tuners move things around so that you have to fiqure out where they put things into the code to get your ecu file correct. You might be able to get one of the guys in the know to check it out for you though.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member

thanks for the info. I am leaning towards getting the AUP1 package from Craig. I think that along with the tunerpro RT will get me going with real time tuning.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91Z, 91RS, '84 Jimmy
Engine: L98, 355, L98
Transmission: 700R, T56, 700R4
I downloaded TunerPro RT about 3 days after I started reding this board, just so I could have something to look at and manipulate to help me understand things. So far it's been very helpful. I'm also planning on going with Craig's USB AutoProm for the hardware side of things....seems like the best option for me. I was leaning toward the PROMinator until I realized that I'll have to buy another one when I take my RS back to EFI.....with the AutoProm and a couple Memcal adapters I can tune the Jeep and the RS both. I do think the PROMinator is the best bet if you're only going to do one car.

FWIW I took the S_AUJP fuel and spark stuff and combined it with the idle and throttle-follower stuff from AXYC for my starting tune. That way I get the 350 fuel control and the manual-tranny idle control so hopefully it'll run half decent.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Supreme Member

have you run your car with that bin yet to see how it idles?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:17 PM

I am by no means an expert... far from it. I am just getting into this whole tuning thing. I did however stumble onto the prominator (thanks Mr. Bill) and this thing is awesome. You can search for it.

It allows your to upload a modified .bin file to your ecm without burning chips it saves alot of time. If you have a laptop it is even better since you can program while on the road.

Anyhow I have a 355 tpi and am using the stock ARAP $6E bin to start off. The car idles alright, however with my mods I think it is running way to rich. I can't seem to find the correct tables that Funstick refers to in one of his stickies.

I am looking for the BPW FUEL vs LOAD table using tunercat and cannnot locate it. My system is a MAF system and I need to alter the values to get the BLM and INT readings closer to 128. Can anyone help??
Old 08-22-2004, 07:27 PM

Car: 91Z, 91RS, '84 Jimmy
Engine: L98, 355, L98
Transmission: 700R, T56, 700R4
Originally posted by BOTTLEDZr28
have you run your car with that bin yet to see how it idles?
Well the car is currently carbed...so no. And the TPI350 that I'm building for my truck is still on the stand, waiting on more parts. The truck motor is what I'll be using for my first shot at tuning an EFI system. Wish I could be of more help, but I'm sorely lacking in the experience department of EFI tuning.....my knowledge is all theory so far.