DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Lost in the Great Prom edit, Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Z28HO/TA/Alfa Romeo
Engine: 305-350-502
Transmission: 700R4-5speed
Lost in the Great Prom edit, Help?

After much meditation and prayer and many hours of reading everything I could find about prom tuning on my TPI system I seem to be very lost and overwhelmed about it all....

I guess I'm just stupid! So pardon my questions but I'm sooo close to getting the project car started the fear of embarassment and shame are over ridden with the sense of urgency to silence evermore "Get that junk car running and out of the parking spot" mantra my better half has been chanting for the past year or so....... here are some shamefull questions even though I've read a lot about it:

(quick backround: I have an '89TA TPI 305 put into an '88 C/1500 "454ss" clone, 700R4 trans, wiring harness is a modified 88 Z28 TPI loom without the cold start feature.)

What is all this business about "*.bin, *.ecu, *.ecm files?

I've taken out the memcals I have from various donor cars and made copies of the proms using my needham's EMP20.
Saved the copies as "*.bin" files. I have downloaded "tunercat" and "tunerpro" trial software and yet it doesn't seem to be loading the files from my memcals. Also niether version seems to be able to tell me about the VATS switch yet some of them talk about it. (running the 89TA brainbox in an '88 truck might be a problem as I do not have the original key/vats hardware in the truck).
I'm ready to buy one or the other editor or any editor that works but I can't seem to get any answers online.
Is there a file converter for the ecm/ecu/bin files?
I read all this talk about copyrights. All I'm going to do is modify the prom info. in the chips that I own-for private use, not for resale.
Is there an editor/software package that explains the files?
Anybody know the best software for dummies such as myself?
Are the trial downloads of Tunercat and Tunerpro just for example and the fully paid and registered versions are fully functional?
How does GMEpro compare functionally to the others?
rather than purchase any of these "ecu/ecm/bin files" why can I not use the files I have from the proms out of the memcals?
Any and all comments/help is appreciated.
I cannot say enough good things about this thirdgen.org group. Everwhere I encounter Gm/cam/firebird/'vette owners I refer them to this site!
Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2005, 09:09 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1987 Iroc, 1987 MCSS TPI
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4 in both
1989 donor car=1227165 ecm. Now that means your ecm definiton file is $6E. If you use Tuner cat, you have to pay for this ecm file, the trial version is for ecm $42 I think, so thats why none of your bin files work. All bin files & ecm definition files must be the same. Now locate the prom that came from the original 1989 ecm, this is the one you can edit after you get the correct ecm definiton file. Start with this first and get your feet wet. I am sure you'll find the parameters you want to edit, vats, etc. I use TC & I am happy with it, good value. There are several other editors available so the choice is yours.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:41 PM

Car: 91 GTA - 94 TPI Suburban
I feel your pain. I too had a difficult time with the DIY process. Read this article as many times as it takes to understand ECM, ECU, bin, mask, EPROM, MEMCAL, etc. Eventually it will click

Read this thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=281730

Click here for how I did it. Now, this is for a 7727 (or 7730) ECM using an $8D mask, but the process will be similar. You can get all the equipment from Moates.net and download TunerPro for free (or TunerPro RT - free, but $30 to register). With TunerPro, you can get the ECU file for your mask for free as well. A few are available at the TunerPro website, and many others are available at Moates.net (browse through the download section). All the links are listed on my link above.

And probably the most important thing you can do is search this website. I probably spent two weeks and countless hours searching this website and cataloging the best threads I could find to anwer my questions.

Good luck, Ed

Last edited by EdgesZ28; 03-06-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by 87tpi7749
1989 donor car=1227165 ecm. Now that means your ecm definiton file is $6E. If you use Tuner cat, you have to pay for this ecm file, the trial version is for ecm $42 I think, so thats why none of your bin files work. All bin files & ecm definition files must be the same. Now locate the prom that came from the original 1989 ecm, this is the one you can edit after you get the correct ecm definiton file. Start with this first and get your feet wet. I am sure you'll find the parameters you want to edit, vats, etc. I use TC & I am happy with it, good value. There are several other editors available so the choice is yours.

I believe both the '88Z28 and '89TA have the same mask $6E.
Ha! I must load the definition file into TunerCat or TunerPro in order to edit the file. Prom burning is done only with the "bin" files after any editing takes place. Things are becoming clearer now.
Thank you!!!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by EdgesZ28
I feel your pain. I too had a difficult time with the DIY process. Read this article as many times as it takes to understand ECM, ECU, bin, mask, EPROM, MEMCAL, etc. Eventually it will click

Read this thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=281730

Click here for how I did it. Now, this is for a 7727 (or 7730) ECM using an $8D mask, but the process will be similar. You can get all the equipment from Moates.net and download TunerPro for free (or TunerPro RT - free, but $30 to register). With TunerPro, you can get the ECU file for your mask for free as well. A few are available at the TunerPro website, and many others are available at Moates.net (browse through the download section). All the links are listed on my link above.

And probably the most important thing you can do is search this website. I probably spent two weeks and countless hours searching this website and cataloging the best threads I could find to anwer my questions.

Good luck, Ed

WOW!!!! That's some article you wrote! I just read it the first time and getting ready to read it several more times and taking copious notes!
Thanks VERY much!!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 06:02 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1987 Iroc, 1987 MCSS TPI
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4 in both
Originally posted by 88tatpi
I believe both the '88Z28 and '89TA have the same mask $6E.
Ha! I must load the definition file into TunerCat or TunerPro in order to edit the file. Prom burning is done only with the "bin" files after any editing takes place. Things are becoming clearer now.
Thank you!!!!!
Yep. Now you're gettin it.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:03 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Hi 88. Don't dispare. We have all been there at one time and your not the first who was about (or even has said) "F'it. I give up".

As mentioned you need the $63 TDF from Tunercat to use it on your 89 bin. Send them an e-mail and ask for a copy of the $6E TDF. Not necessarily their MOST CURRENT, but one where you can evaluate your bin and make an inform decision if you would like to purchase their product. Tell them Glenn from DIY-Prom on Thirdgen recommended you.

Also, your 88 uses ANOTHER TDF. Unfortunatley, that is one of the things I don't like about MAF on Thirdgens...almost every year has a different TDF due to the bin layout from GM. However, you can convert your 88 and run the 89 bin on it. Thus both MAF cars would run the same code.

As for a Definition List of all the meanings. Maybe someone has define "most" of what the definitions mean. However, I can tell you from personal experience, sometimes they just don't quite do what you thought. Also, there are a lot of new tables and constants being added to the TDFs because someone found out that it helped overcome a tuning issue in the world of GM EFI tuning. They got TunerCat to add it but unless they happen to be a member of this Board and discussed the Table/Constant, not too many people will know what it does. There's a great deal that I find no need to even change.

Good luck and hang in there.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:03 PM

Car: 91 GTA - 94 TPI Suburban
Originally posted by 88tatpi
That's some article you wrote!
Just to clarify, I did not write the article in that appears in PDF format. I did document my experience tuning with Moates equipment and Mansur's TunerPro, but that is a webpage of its own.

It is quite fullfilling when you start to see your changes making a positive effect on how your engine/system runs. Just give it time, plenty of time. Ed