DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Prominator questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Chevy silverado K5
Engine: 350 bored .030, crane cams hyd bluprint l-79 cam 447 lift 272 dur, camel hump heads port and polished 1.94 1.50, afterburner headers and y pipe, holley 670 cfm tbi, holley projection dual plane manifold, accel high pressure fuel pump, 3 inch exhaust
Transmission: 700 r4 with corvette servo and shift kit.
Prominator questions

Ok... I bought the PRO version of the prominator and got everything installed... all I need is the stock .bin from the 7747 ecm. Where can I find the right one that is complete? Another question is where can I get an the right xdf file for that same ecm. and what is it called???... I've found a few xdf files but I doubt they are the right ones and when I open them they show up in print not as a file I can save to tunerpro.

As far as winaldl and the prominator software go... Do I need them? Or can tunerpro do it?

haha 1 more question(for now lol)...when I try to open the setup to install the prominator software it tells me my system needs to be updated so I click update and everytime it still says I need to update my program and it won't let me in to use it. ?????? Anybody else have this problem?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:16 PM

Engine: 350 bored .030, crane cams hyd bluprint l-79 cam 447 lift 272 dur, camel hump heads port and polished 1.94 1.50, afterburner headers and y pipe, holley 670 cfm tbi, holley projection dual plane manifold, accel high pressure fuel pump, 3 inch exhaust
I got all that stuff now... I've been tinkering for 4 hours straight and am slowly starting to figure this stuff out.

Does anybody have the speedtronics prominator? I can't seem to figure out how to actually burn the .bin onto my ecm...I looked but couldn't figure it out, and after an hour of trying to figure that out I'm stumped...

somebody help me...
Old 03-28-2006, 09:16 PM

............................................................................. I need to stop before my head explodes...

Last edited by Blazin4x4; 03-28-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:17 PM

I got all that stuff now... I've been tinkering for 4 hours straight and am slowly starting to figure this stuff out.

Does anybody have the speedtronics prominator? I can't seem to figure out how to actually burn the .bin onto my ecm...I looked but couldn't figure it out, and after an hour of trying to figure that out I'm stumped...

somebody help me... PLEASE.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:34 PM

You can download a copy of the 7747 mine.ecu at the prominator site (IIRC) and then import it into Tunerpro and then save it as an .xdf. I also think there is a link to a couple of sites in the DIY Prom fourm for the AJAK.bin (or do a serach for it, just read the sticky at the top of the fourm). Save this stock bin to a safe place before making ANY changes to it!!!

Then make your changes (I use Tuner PRO) and save it. You will then use the open command in the Prominator software to "open" it, then all you have to do is hit the load button and click yes when the pop-up appears. The CEL will rapidly flash, and presto, you have just successfully loaded the .bin into the Prominator!

With all of the mods you have done to your engine, me thinks you will get quite good at this.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:21 PM

thanks man...

So you didn't have a problem installing the prominator software?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:15 PM

Not a bit. When I downloaded it, I went ahead and selected run. It want's to install itself in to the Program files folder, but since the only thing I have on my "C" drive is windows ( I partitioned my HDD when I put it in) I just created a Prominator folder in my applications drive and installed it into that.

P.S. You will need WinZip to open the software. Then you can either run the set-up from WinZip or extract the files to a temp directory then install it.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:36 AM

PROMinator PROBlems?

Yea, I've had problems too. I'm not much of a Window's kind of guy but I finally got some of the software issues figured out and FINALLY got communication with my new PROMinator (PROMinator software recognized the device and accepted a bin.)Yippeeee! I uploaded my first bin! Success finally!

Or so I thought. I had used Bill's software to detect the device and uploaded a bin (same bin as Bill loaded on the PROMinator for me) and verified the file. It was running in closed loop from the PROMinator for the first time. So all is well, I thought. I didn't really mod the bin, I was just trying to get a feel for the system and using the new software. It was getting late so I shut everything down for the night thinking all my troubles were behind me and I could pick up where left of the next day.

The next day when I started the vehicle the SES light flashed so quickly I had to pay attention closely to see the flashing bulb, the bulb flashes so quickly the bulb doesn't have time to get up to full brightness , I believe. Now Datamaster cant sync with the PCM, PROMinator software can't detect the device. I've been trying everything I could think of for several days. I can relate with your exploding head scenario LOL. Ay Captain, thaar she blows...(muffled thud sound) Yuk what a mess!!

AARRRGGGHHH So again I cant communicate with the PROMinator. I've got the prompt from datamaster saying "no PCM sync" as it tries to link up over and over, when I use the "test com" button on Datamaster. I'm getting the prompt "Test com passed-quiet PCM detected"? So the ALDL cable is functioning correctly.

As I turn on the ignition switch now the SES light flashes rapidly. I was having a similar problem at first but seemed to have gotten past that by shutting down everything removing the ground on the vehicles battery checking all connections and starting again. I've
tried that SEVERAL times this round and still get NO communication with the device.

I'm beginning to feel a sense of hopelessness. Could I have done some harm to the PROMinator? Is there a way I can test the PROMinator? I feel like I've checked everything else a multitude off times and I'm about stumped! I've posted on Speedtronics forum and emailed Bill, but I know he's very busy with other things and understand I'm probably low on his priority list. Anybody who could help clear up some of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any light anyone can shed on this situation.
Best Regards
Tedd
Old 03-30-2006, 11:23 AM

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing. I had to do just what you did. For some reason, if you shut your computer down and leave it connected to the Prominator, it will erase the bin in the Prominator, hence the rapidly flashing SES light. Just unhook your computer from it when you shut it down and you should be fine.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:49 PM

Wingnutt is correct....if you shut down the PC with the cable attached and the ignition on it will most likely corrupt the Flash image.

Disconnect the parallel port cable before shutting the computer down OR closing the Prominator software.

When I get time I'll add a message prompt to the software to that effect.

Ted...I'm sorry dood I didn't get your email. Try me again...just so I know I'm not having email problems. bill@speedtronics.net

Let me know if you're still having problems...we can't have that!
Old 03-30-2006, 09:05 PM

DOOOH!!

Well if thats the case, shutting down the laptop with the cable still connected, I'm sure that must be it. And the motor was surely on because it sounded so damn good in closed loop, like music to my ears.
This is really great news,

I was going to reburn an old eprom with Pocket Programer II and install it in the 'burb to see if it would recognize a valid bin that way.

But now I have to ask how I can get a bin on my PROMinator if I've corrupted the only one on it. I realize now I should have burned an image on all 8 locations. will I have to send it back to Bill for another "first burn"?

Thanks for the quick response guys, these forums and the experience the members bring here are truly an awesome resource.

Tedd

Last edited by Tedd; 03-30-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:05 PM

Its the master himself... this is good.

I have some questions about the software... will it work with microsoft ME? I tried to install it but theres no icon to run the program. Do I need a new operating system or is there a way to finegale it?

Also, do I need an aldl cable to make this work, or does it just make tuning easier?
Old 03-31-2006, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd
But now I have to ask how I can get a bin on my PROMinator if I've corrupted the only one on it. I realize now I should have burned an image on all 8 locations. will I have to send it back to Bill for another "first burn"?

Tedd
NOOO! That's the whole point...being able to overwrite what's already in it. Doesn't matter if there's already a bin uploaded to a particular position...if you wanna change it, select that position, open file and upload. Boom, done. (well maybe without the "boom"!)
----------
Originally Posted by Blazin4x4
Its the master himself... this is good.

I have some questions about the software... will it work with microsoft ME? I tried to install it but theres no icon to run the program. Do I need a new operating system or is there a way to finegale it?

Also, do I need an aldl cable to make this work, or does it just make tuning easier?
Honestly I have no idea what it does with ME...never had a machine with that OS to test it on. I don't believe Ken does either, but I'll ask him.

ALDL is totally unrelated.

Last edited by MrBill; 03-31-2006 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-31-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Bill, can the BIN size that the Prominator accepts and uses be user configured? IOW, if I have a Prominator for a '747 (32 kb BIN) and want to move it to a 730 (256 kb BIN), will it be plug and play? Or, does it need to be reconfigured in any way?

RBob.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:35 PM

Car: 1987 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: HSR 383 AFR180/268XFI EBL
Transmission: 200-4R, Edge 2800 L/U
Axle/Gears: 7.5/3.73/PowerTrax No-Slip
Are there any plans to make a USB interface for the PROMinator? I like the concept of the prominator (who wouldnt? ), but my laptop doesnt have a parallel port.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:49 AM

Bob...you have mail.

Dustin...yes, there are plans for a USB version, but with our regular job schedules I can't give much of an ETA.

Bill
Old 04-03-2006, 12:40 PM

don't know what else to do

I'm still not having any luck with the PROMinator. Bills software can't seem to find it. I know that com port 2 on the laptop is used, What about the settings under "advanced" as far as handshake and "timing" are concerned. I've removed the PROMinator and burned a new eprom and put it in my Moates ZIF adapter and installed it in the truck, after a minute or two of warmup I'm in closed loop and recording data in TTS Datamaster. When i do a comm test with the eprom I get the same prompt "aldl cable is working, quite pcm detected". I shut down the truck, swap the memcal to my PROMinater PRO and install in the truck and, nada, PCM not detected, test comm prompt says aldl cable is fine, maybe the wrong def file or maybe a bad cable

when I left to come type this my rad light stays on when the trucks ignition switch is off and the key is removed. I don't think that's a good sign.

I've noticed on the Moates zif adapter and the PROMinator both have 35 sets of pin connectors (female) and the trucks computer (the aluminum box with electrical components in it) has 33 (male), I assume the PROMinator like the Moates adapter uses 33 sets of pins with an extra set on each end not used by the PROMinator.

I had to try quite a few times before the one time I got the PROMinator to accept an upload (and then I corrupted the file by not unplugging from the computer first) and I'm wondering if this is the same situation or could I have damaged something?

I'm still pluggin away at it, I'm usually not easily discouraged. Must maintain a good attitude.

Thanks for any ideas
Tedd
Old 04-03-2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd
I'm still not having any luck with the PROMinator. Bills software can't seem to find it. I know that com port 2 on the laptop is used, What about the settings under "advanced" as far as handshake and "timing" are concerned. I've removed the PROMinator and burned a new eprom and put it in my Moates ZIF adapter and installed it in the truck, after a minute or two of warmup I'm in closed loop and recording data in TTS Datamaster. When i do a comm test with the eprom I get the same prompt "aldl cable is working, quite pcm detected". I shut down the truck, swap the memcal to my PROMinater PRO and install in the truck and, nada, PCM not detected, test comm prompt says aldl cable is fine, maybe the wrong def file or maybe a bad cable

when I left to come type this my rad light stays on when the trucks ignition switch is off and the key is removed. I don't think that's a good sign.

I've noticed on the Moates zif adapter and the PROMinator both have 35 sets of pin connectors (female) and the trucks computer (the aluminum box with electrical components in it) has 33 (male), I assume the PROMinator like the Moates adapter uses 33 sets of pins with an extra set on each end not used by the PROMinator.

I had to try quite a few times before the one time I got the PROMinator to accept an upload (and then I corrupted the file by not unplugging from the computer first) and I'm wondering if this is the same situation or could I have damaged something?

I'm still pluggin away at it, I'm usually not easily discouraged. Must maintain a good attitude.

Thanks for any ideas
Tedd
Tedd, shoot me an email at bill@speedtronics.net. We'll figure out what's going on then you can post the findings back here if you like.

The RAD-E display staying lit for a couple seconds after you turn the ignition off is perfectly normal. That's due to the large amount of capicitance that exists in the ECM on the power circuit that provides power to the Prominator. Nothing to worry about.

Bill
Old 04-05-2006, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91Z28 L98
Engine: HSR 350
Transmission: Goebel 700R4
Blazin, did you get the prominator sofware to work with ME? I had a laptop with ME and couldn't get it to install. Seems like it says it needs to update a file and restart, right? Then when it restarts, it doesn't update or something like that. I forget....it's been a year or so now. I finally installed Windows XP and then the Prominator software installed correctly.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by iceman02
Blazin, did you get the prominator sofware to work with ME? I had a laptop with ME and couldn't get it to install. Seems like it says it needs to update a file and restart, right? Then when it restarts, it doesn't update or something like that. I forget....it's been a year or so now. I finally installed Windows XP and then the Prominator software installed correctly.
No, it does exactly what your saying yours did... kinda drove me insane for a few days... it says it needs to update then after it tells you the update is complete you click setup and it tells you that you need to update your system.

Yeah I need to get xp... hopefully I can get one from my moms work.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91Z28 L98
Engine: HSR 350
Transmission: Goebel 700R4
Yea, that's it then..... the prominator software is not compatible with Windows ME. I was pretty sure that was the case when I had no problems with XP, but your case confirms it.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:58 PM

Sorry about the ME thing guys. At the time I just didn't have a system with ME on it...and didn't really think there'd be many (if any at all) ME users. What little experience I've had with ME...I think you'd do yourself a favor dumping that for at least Win2K (FYI the Prominator software likes 98 and 2K better than XP...but works with either of the three.)

Bill
Old 04-10-2006, 12:27 AM

good to know...

yeah its not really a problem but they don't sell 98 anymore and I can't seem to find 2000 either... so xp is the next option... only problem is it'll slow my labtop down.

Anybody know where I can get a win 2000 disc?
Old 04-10-2006, 01:02 AM

Haha!

I'm finding the same situation as blazin concerning past Microsoft Windows products. The only reason I own a Thinkpad is to tune my truck! It's a 760CD and it weighs like 10 or 12 lbs' and came with Windows '95. It's handled everything sofar. Bill, says to upgrade to at least '98 and I think, no problem. Called all my friends to see if they knew of any, Half price books got sued for sellin them, Discount Electronics won't sell em unless yuo buy a computer and they came with the install discs, my brother in law tried his Window's XP and my laptops screen flashed something like, "you gotta be kiddin, right?"It's got like a 33mhz processor or something doesn't it?

Where the heck can you buy a used, cheap copy of Windows "98. They ought to give them away with a twenty dollar bill because they're that bad.

I guess I'll try ebay.
Tedd
Old 04-10-2006, 11:15 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '89 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
Most of the old OSes can be found pretty cheaply (and in some cases for free) with some creative searching.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 PM

OLD OS's never die, They just aren't appreciated as much!!

I found a cheap Window's 98 at a local repair shop today, $40.00. Now to install it!!!!

Thanks,
Tedd
Old 04-12-2006, 08:16 PM

Well, I also have some longterm plans to switch to darts or afrs and hoping to make 450 hp N/A so I'm seriously thinking about going with tpi...

My question is can I switch my Pro version of the prominator over to tpi with the the memcal adapter?
Old 04-13-2006, 08:44 AM

Car: 82 Corvette
Engine: 350 CrossFire
Transmission: 700R4
Sure, you'll have to send us your ECM so we can remove the Prominator and reconfigure it, though. There are some nominal fees associated with this as well; $35 for the MEMCAL adapter, and $20 for the upgrade on your Prominator (since it will be a different size.)
Old 04-13-2006, 08:26 PM

Ok... that's perty slick.

you guys got this stuff figured out