DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

HOT CAM

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOT CAM

Ok I ve got a 89 Formula with a 305 TPI i just put in a LT4 hot cam 1.6 rr new lifters new push rods new timing chain and had some head work done my question is this after we did all of this the car doesnt seen to rev or drive like i would hope it would ( it feels like a 4 cyinder) I posted before and everyone told me to get a custom burn chip ( its a ads super chip, i had to fill out a long form) i just order one and i was woundering if this would stop the problem i m having with my car. thanks
Scott

89 formula 305TPI
ASCD Ram-Air Hood, Neon light in Scoops of hood. custom carbon fiber Ram-Air Box, K&N Air Filter,manley street flow valves, port and polish heads, LT4 hot cam, crane chromemoly push rods, crane hydraulic roller lifters, 1.6 roller rockers, comp cams timing chain, edelbrock water pump, SLP intake - ported and polished, Adjustable fuel regulator, Power Pulleys, custom burn chip, Edelbrock Headers, Hi-Flow Cat, Flowmaster, Accell Supercoil, Taylor Wires , B&M Shift kit w/ Corvette Servo, exhaust dump, Auburn Pro-Series Posi-Trac rear end with 3.73 gears, Kenwood 6-disc Changer, 2 600-watt Kenwood 12" subwoofers , 600 watt Kenwood Amp, Racing Stripes, Blackouts, Alarm System, Chrome GM 5-star wheels off of 98' Formula with custom carbon fiber WS6 center caps.
Old 07-08-2001, 08:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SCFORMULA1:
Ok I ve got a 89 Formula with a 305 TPI i just put in a LT4 hot cam 1.6 rr new lifters new push rods new timing chain and had some head work done my question is this after we did all of this the car doesnt seen to rev or drive like i would hope it would ( it feels like a 4 cyinder) I posted before and everyone told me to get a custom burn chip ( its a ads super chip, i had to fill out a long form) i just order one and i was woundering if this would stop the problem i m having with my car. thanks
Scott
</font>
Seems like you got some bad info., from the everyone you asked...

The only way your going to get the Right chip for your car is doing itself. Anything else is just a generic answer.

Your going to have to do some work on your part to actually tune your car.
You probably could have bought most of what you needed for chip burning with what you wasted with ADS.
Old 07-08-2001, 11:42 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4 2400 ACT Stall
Axle/Gears: 2.77 Borg Warner 9-Bolt
I have to agree, best darned money i've spent on my car yet. Although it wasn't rewarding for the gains or anything but rather for the increase in drivability that i can feel and knowing that if i ever do install that "monster cam" in my (dream world sets in) Blown / Nitrous shot 383 stroker that i'll be able to get it right without haveing to take it to some guy that smells like rotten fish (dyno operator) for him just to give me a chip thats...supposed to be correct...then 15 modifications later isn't any longer correct...

------------------
89 IROC-Z 350 TPI

-Flowmaster Catback
-Performance Resource Chip
-700R4 (Rebuilt) Too much done to actually list
-K&N Airfilters
-Ported Plenum
-2.77 Gears (not much to brag about but eh, its there)
-MSD 8.5 mm plug wires
-Gutted cat
-!AIR
-Gutted Air Boxes
Old 07-09-2001, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Miniram'd 383, 24X LS1 PCM
Transmission: TH700R4, 4200 stall
Axle/Gears: 9", 4.33:1
What is your base timing set at? Did you degree your cam? Have you adjusted fuel pressure? What kind of intake system do you run? Stall converter?

I agree with everyone else though. You should have spent the money on the burning equipment. It would be much better in the long run to be able to modify the chip anytime you want instead of dealing with another company. Not to mention how much better you will understand your engine after doing a little trial and error with a few chips.

I know it seems intimidating at first when you look at burning chips but there are a lot of people here (and other sites) that are very willing to help you learn.

------------------
1987 GTA L98 MD8 GH3
355 '97 Vortec 4-bolt block, TRW(suck) forged pistons 10:1 CR, TFS 23*, LT4 Hot Cam, Ported plenum and intake, SLP Siam Runners, Edelbrock TES, gutted Cat, Flowmaster, K+N cone, AFPR, TB bypass, AirFoil, !AIR, !A/C, !EVAP, ARAP, 2300 stall, Hotchkis STB.