DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Questions on parts for the w/b Air fuel project

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on parts for the w/b Air fuel project

I am putting together my first board and I am not sure which direction the diodes and capacitors need to go. I noticed the diodes have a black stip on one end of them so I have been matching the black strip with the strip that is on the symbol, printed on the board.

Also the capacitors I am not sure on C2,C3,C4,c7,c10,c8,c14,,c13 and c9. I cant find anything on them telling me polarity, maybe it dosent matter on these capacitors?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2001, 04:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AustinT:
I am putting together my first board and I am not sure which direction the diodes and capacitors need to go. I noticed the diodes have a black stip on one end of them so I have been matching the black strip with the strip that is on the symbol, printed on the board.
Also the capacitors I am not sure on C2,C3,C4,c7,c10,c8,c14,,c13 and c9. I cant find anything on them telling me polarity, maybe it dosent matter on these capacitors?
Thanks
</font>
Disclaimer, I don't have my glasses on.
But, on the ones that it does matter there is a + on one side. I can see c7 clearly enough that it isn't polarity sensitive.
Old 10-21-2001, 05:25 PM

Thanks
How about diodes? Is there a certain direction to them?

Also c3 and c4 are marked on the board but not the capacitor. One wire is longer on the capacitor. Is the longer wire Positive?

Im not going to be able to finish this right away anyways. On chips u2 and u4 I orderd LM2902m-nd And I should have orderd LM2902N-nd. They are to small to fit the board.

Also one other thing How easy is this thing to use? Can it read a airfuel ratio during a hard acceleration? Or does Digital volt meter jump around, making it hard to know your actual A/F Ratio?
Old 10-21-2001, 05:37 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
The diode is a gate. The black line goes to the ground. That way it'll let positive current go through but not the otherway. A quick test is to grab a 9v battery and test the diode with a multimeter. That's how I keep reminding myself .

------------------
, Jon (350 TBI!)
91 Red My website
Old 10-21-2001, 05:58 PM

About the diode again,

The symbol on the board, for a diode, has a box with a line at one side of the box. I have been putting the black strip on the diode, on the same side as the line.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:28 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks
How about diodes? Is there a certain direction to them?
Also c3 and c4 are marked on the board but not the capacitor. One wire is longer on the capacitor. Is the longer wire Positive?
Im not going to be able to finish this right away anyways. On chips u2 and u4 I orderd LM2902m-nd And I should have orderd LM2902N-nd. They are to small to fit the board.
Also one other thing How easy is this thing to use? Can it read a airfuel ratio during a hard acceleration? Or does Digital volt meter jump around, making it hard to know your actual A/F Ratio?
</font>
All depends on you sampling rate, ie how often you look at the sensor.
I use a Digital Volt Meter, and it's rate is fast enough to catch changes, yet slow enough I can read it.

If you put an Oscilloscope on it at low to medium rpm, you can see each cylinder firing.

The trick at the moment is a chep way to do datalogging with it.

I have a chip that runs open loop just fine, so I can use a voltage divider to input the WB into the oem O2s input for recording.

There are a few guys working on displays, and interfacing items.

At the DIY site there is a schematic for a LED bargraph display.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:23 PM

Thanks Grumpy

Im excited to get this thing going. Now Im interested what Role do you play, or how are you involved with this whole Wide band A/F meter. You seem to be answering most all of the posts about the Meter
Thanks
Old 10-21-2001, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks Grumpy

Im excited to get this thing going. Now Im interested what Role do you play, or how are you involved with this whole Wide band A/F meter. You seem to be answering most all of the posts about the Meter
Thanks
</font>
I thought of getting organized and just doing it, getting some smart guys, some EEs etc together to work on it. Bought the sensors for the EE guys to play with. Spent weeks reading patents. Then played *cheerleader* for 3 years pushing to get it done. Nuts huh?.
Old 10-22-2001, 12:55 AM

I think I speak for everyone here at thirdgen when I say, thanks Grumpy
Old 10-22-2001, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

I think I speak for everyone here at thirdgen when I say, thanks Grumpy </font>
Thanks, and your welcome.
R+D lab here at CSH, HQ, is still busy thou.
The WB was in part to help guys that just *don't get* plug reading. Another item is detonation. The acoustic K/S are just about little better then nothing in my mind. Gotta be a better answer <g>...