DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

A.I.R. injection.. for more horsepower? tuning issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
A.I.R. injection.. for more horsepower? tuning issues?

Ive been reading Smokey Yunicks "Power Secrets" book.. its fascinating even though its ancient. Anyhow, he mentions some crazyness about air injection making more hp. According to him, the same reasons its used for pollution control purposes are also good for power because the spent gasses still burning in your primaries maintain a higher velocity. He says there are real hp gains to be made with a system like this and although it didnt go into detail he also said it was a bit tricky to do right.

This got me thinking about how easy it could possibly be to pick up some free WOT power since as far as I understand at WOT and any time after startup you have your AIR system directing air to the cat. I can see why partially, I assume if it ran through the primaries all the time (or at WOT) youd burn up the cat. Now what about those of us who run a "test" pipe but still havethe provisions to run AIR injection? Would making it so it would inject air into the primaries be enough to pick up power? Im sure that for those with cats and a pre cat cutout it would also be of interest to know if there was a way to adjust the settings in the prom such that the air valve directed air to the primaries upon reaching WOT for track purposes.

It got me to thinking of another idea that ive not yet really put alot of thought into. It involves using your standard pollution pump to pull vacuum from the crank case which should be worth power in itself and then routing the "exhaust" of the pump into the AIR injection tubes. Granted, I imagine the oxygen content would be lower than if you just pulled from atmosphere but you could always put a restricted air inlet from the atmosphere on the intake side of the pump.. Would also act as a vacuum limiter if the thing pulled too much (I still have no idea if it would be that efficient or even work well at all. At the least, i have seen a pollution pump converted into a vacuum pump that did pull quite a bit of vacuum, never saw it tested so I dont know how efficient it was.) Anyone have any thoughts on this crazyness?

can it work? anyone know what details about making it work smokey was talking about?

thanks
Old 12-01-2001, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pablo:
Ive been reading Smokey Yunicks "Power Secrets" book.. its fascinating even though its ancient. Anyhow, he mentions some crazyness about air injection making more hp. According to him, the same reasons its used for pollution control purposes are also good for power because the spent gasses still burning in your primaries maintain a higher velocity. He says there are real hp gains to be made with a system like this and although it didnt go into detail he also said it was a bit tricky to do right.

This got me thinking about how easy it could possibly be to pick up some free WOT power since as far as I understand at WOT and any time after startup you have your AIR system directing air to the cat. I can see why partially, I assume if it ran through the primaries all the time (or at WOT) youd burn up the cat. Now what about those of us who run a "test" pipe but still havethe provisions to run AIR injection? Would making it so it would inject air into the primaries be enough to pick up power? Im sure that for those with cats and a pre cat cutout it would also be of interest to know if there was a way to adjust the settings in the prom such that the air valve directed air to the primaries upon reaching WOT for track purposes.

It got me to thinking of another idea that ive not yet really put alot of thought into. It involves using your standard pollution pump to pull vacuum from the crank case which should be worth power in itself and then routing the "exhaust" of the pump into the AIR injection tubes. Granted, I imagine the oxygen content would be lower than if you just pulled from atmosphere but you could always put a restricted air inlet from the atmosphere on the intake side of the pump.. Would also act as a vacuum limiter if the thing pulled too much (I still have no idea if it would be that efficient or even work well at all. At the least, i have seen a pollution pump converted into a vacuum pump that did pull quite a bit of vacuum, never saw it tested so I dont know how efficient it was.) Anyone have any thoughts on this crazyness?
can it work? anyone know what details about making it work smokey was talking about?
thanks
</font>
Evacuating the crankcase can be a good thing. Especially on a well sealed racing engine. On the street I never saw any HP.

Adding air to the exhaust is easy with a Moroso Air injection set up. One check valve per collector routed to crankcase, hey might as well try to generate some crankcase neg pressure.

In using a Smog pump, it seems like the pump takes as much HP to spin as what adding O2 does. ie it just breaks even.

Also the instant you add mufflers there goes the projected gains.

The street is very different from full out racing.

maybe things would be different with an electric pump but again even it takes power to run.

I tried adding air right up by the ports, and then down by the collectors, no gains, that I could accurately find from the mods.

there is just so much theory and race stuff that just doesn't pan out on the street.

In F1, they run the dry sumps wayyyy overspeed on the evacuation side to generate the neg crankcase pressure and for them it works extremely well. Even in some of the NHRA stuff it seems to help a little, but we're talking well sealed motors.
Old 12-01-2001, 07:56 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
I like the theory but couldn't exhaust burning in the primaries also create some backpressure or turbulance since it has 2 directions to expand? I would like to know when the exhaust gas would actual combust depending on when the exhaust valve closes or opens. I like the idea of an electric vacuum pump and AIR injection system for a few reasons. Yes the battery and alternator with have to work harder but the battery is full of potential energy. NOT using it to it's fullest degree is a waste.
I've been thinking about this too for a long time ever since I took out my air pump.
Old 12-01-2001, 09:31 PM
Supreme Member

Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JPrevost:
I like the theory but couldn't exhaust burning in the primaries also create some backpressure or turbulance since it has 2 directions to expand? I would like to know when the exhaust gas would actual combust depending on when the exhaust valve closes or opens. I like the idea of an electric vacuum pump and AIR injection system for a few reasons. Yes the battery and alternator with have to work harder but the battery is full of potential energy. NOT using it to it's fullest degree is a waste.
I've been thinking about this too for a long time ever since I took out my air pump.
</font>
An alternator can draw more HP to charge the battery then the HP you'll make in trying this on a street trim car IMO.

Old 12-02-2001, 12:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Turbo Buick
Engine: 3.8 V6
J, the gas really has no choice but to go from a hot area to a cooler area, remember heat always travels to cold.. so it would seem to me like it would be much more eager to head out than to go back in.

hmm so grump, its a long shot huh? I might give it a shot and test it out. One thing though, you said that all the gains would go down the toilet the instant you added a muffler, why would that be? I have a couple of ideas but they might sound stupid

Hey at the very least ill bet running AIR all the time through your primaries would lower emissions provided you had no cat
Old 12-02-2001, 01:18 PM

Car: 91 Red Sled
Axle/Gears: 10bolt Richmond 3.73 Torsen
It would lower you hydro carbon ppm for sure.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Take
Engine: Your
Transmission: Pick
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pablo:

thanks
</font>
Off topic, but why do people do this? ^^^^

They quote the entire topic. I don't think you need to point out the entire topic. Since you are replying to that topic, then obviously, you are refering to it. It doesn't make any sense.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS - not real slow anymore...
Engine: SPDC 360 MAF EFI /w a Holley Stealth Ram
Transmission: T5 untill it blows up from to much torque
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" /w auburn pro & 3.89's
EDIT*

Created a new thread for my reply.
https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=337101

Last edited by Dirtbik3r; 12-21-2005 at 04:34 PM.