DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Stock MAT temp range?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac
Stock MAT temp range?

I want to know the temperature for a "stock" TPI with all the normal emission still in use. Or at least a near-stock setup with EGR running.

The reason I ask is because when running the HSR my manifold temps are in the 140-160F range when fully warmed up. I suspect this is lower than stock. It is important because the tune (in open loop anyway) is much richer when the coolant temp is normal but the MAT is still below normal. On a warm day after a few stops and starts (which help to heat sink the manifold) the manifold temp gets up to the ~150's and that is where I tune. The problem is it takes quite a while to get to that point on a cool morning especially if I just start and go.

I think I have a couple of options, each with pros and cons.

First, I am considering relocating my MAT sensor closer to the heads. I expect this will get the read temperature up closer to the "stock" range so it is more in line with the stock program. Here I need to know about what manifold temperature a stock system runs so I can choose a location that works. I went from the upper port (on the back of the HSR plenum) to the lower port and that helped a few degrees but I will probably have to tap an additional location near the bottom of the lower manifold to get a significant change.

Second, and most likely the best in the long run, would be to get into the program and make the necessary adjustments to run properly at the new temp range. The problem here is I just don't know how to get there since my XDF file doesn't already have the tables. Also, there are probably a bunch of "things" acting in response to the MAT that I'm concerned I won't get em all.

Regardless, I am prepared to take a crack at the second option if someone could help me with the location of the MAT related functions. I'm running the $6E code (165 ecm) on an 89 MAF system. I've seen the location here on the forum before but just can't seem to find it again. My XDF file (6E expanded) doesn't seem to have much MAT related adjustments. I'm hoping I can get the correct tables added to my XDF. (BTW I may have quoted some of my file/extention letters wrong since I'm doing this from memory right now)

P.S. I'm not really asking for a hand out. I'd like to figure it out myself, I just need some help getting going. I have always been afraid to fool aroung with the XDF files but here lately I've been making a few minor adjustments with some success. I wish I could find the "Hack" for my program (running a modified version of APYP with Wide band tuning) to help it all make sense. I can't seem to make the connection between the "hex editor" view of the program to the XDF. I see where people show it in a more descriptive format and I believe that is the hack. Maybe I'm way off lol.

Any comments or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by antman89iroc; 10-13-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spellun