DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

EBL Flash Questions: '95 Yukon Supercharged MPFI

Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EBL Flash Questions: '95 Yukon Supercharged MPFI

Hey guys, so this is going to be a bit of an extensive post, but as such, I'll do my best to organize it. Here's the setup I'm running right now. I've got a 1995 GMC Yukon with ECM 16197427. I have a custom tune from Wester's garage to run the 4L80e I swapped in place of my stock 4L60e (wires were re-pinned so that the connector at the ECM is the same as a stock 4L80e truck). I'm also running an older (autorotor) style Whipple supercharger. I have the larger pulley on it for now, so it's making minimal boost. I have an Aeromotive AFPR set to handle fuel pressure (boost regulated), and I'm running 91 octane with plugs that are 1 heat range cooler to prevent detonation. Motor's got 216k on the clock, unrebuilt.

On to my plan. Eventually, I'd like to rebuild the motor to be a full hydraulic roller with some better heads (probably iron eagles). I also have an Edelbrock MPFI intake that I really want to get put on this thing, better fueling and able to tune it more precisely. Probably going to go with some Magnetti Marelli Pico injectiors, still working on which ones. So I have the following questions:

1. From what I've read, the current EBL Flash does not support the e-trans. Is this right? Is this possibly going to change anytime soon, or do you still have to run 2 separate ECM's?

2. Also, I have a lifetime re-tune with Wester's, and as long as the trans tables stay the same, then the engine control portion would be able to be burned from my PC via ALDL cable, correct? The Memcal would control the trans, but wouldn't need to be removed for tuning of the engine?

3. These TBI injectors are low impedance "peak-and-hold" style, correct? And according to your site, I would be able to run high-impedance injectors, but would you recommend the Port Mod or the 4-injector upgrade? Seems like the Port mod would be better since I'm looking at batch fire of 8 high-impedance injectors.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me. I've tried to do as much research on my own as I can, but sometime you just gotta ask a question (or three ). I'm sure I'll have more questions later. This seems to be my best option for controlling the motor with this MPFI intake. I have almost no knowledge of doing my own tuning. It's something I'd love to play around with, but just haven't had the time to research so far. Maybe once school finishes in a couple weeks. I'm more than willing to learn, and any resources you guys can point me to would be great. I'm definitely going to work my way through the "Tuning Guide" sticky up top.

And yes, before anyone asks, I DO realize an LS-swap would've been cheaper and easier. I like to be different, ok?
Old 04-15-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: EBL Flash Questions: '95 Yukon Supercharged MPFI

Originally Posted by GMCYukonDriver
1. From what I've read, the current EBL Flash does not support the e-trans. Is this right? Is this possibly going to change anytime soon, or do you still have to run 2 separate ECM's?
Correct, the EBL Flash won't support the E transmission. Need to retain it for that job and add in the EBL Flash to run the engine.

2. Also, I have a lifetime re-tune with Wester's, and as long as the trans tables stay the same, then the engine control portion would be able to be burned from my PC via ALDL cable, correct? The Memcal would control the trans, but wouldn't need to be removed for tuning of the engine?
Not sure what you are asking here. The EBL systems have their own firmware and calibration layout. Can't use the one from the '7427 PCM. There is a dedicated high speed comm link from the EBL to the laptop for flashing in the tune/BIN, data logging, and observing the data.

3. These TBI injectors are low impedance "peak-and-hold" style, correct? And according to your site, I would be able to run high-impedance injectors, but would you recommend the Port Mod or the 4-injector upgrade? Seems like the Port mod would be better since I'm looking at batch fire of 8 high-impedance injectors.
You will want the Port Mod when using the Edelbrock MPFI conversion. Note that with the Port Mod you can run any high impedance injector, don't need to stick with the Magnetti Marelli Pico injectors.

Note that an EBL Flash ECM with the Port Mod can not be used with a TBI setup.

RBob.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the reply, Bob.

So if I'm understanding correct, my '7427 ECM stays in place, just to control the trans. The EBL Flash gets spliced in, so is it an entirely separate ECM that I need to stack on top of my stock one?

I guess my second question was asking if there is any need to modify the chip in my 7427 to control the trans, since it won't be receiving any input from the engine? Or is it just a matter of installing the EBL ECM and the trans will still run as normal?

Your last comment about not being able to run a TBI engine, so I would basically need to do the EBL Flash port mod at the same time as the MPFI intake, and I should be good to go, but wouldn't be able to go back to Throttle Body injectors, correct?

Like I said, I know I'm going to have a few questions. I'm willing to be patient, and take time to learn, but it's a lot of stuff to take in.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '74 Firebird, '84 vette
Engine: 454 twin turbo, 350 HSR
Transmission: 4L80E, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9", Dana36

Your 427 computer will still be receiving sensor data from the engine just as it does now, it just wont be able to control the fuel or ignition.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the reply, Bob.

So if I'm understanding correct, my '7427 ECM stays in place, just to control the trans. The EBL Flash gets spliced in, so is it an entirely separate ECM that I need to stack on top of my stock one?
Yes.

I guess my second question was asking if there is any need to modify the chip in my 7427 to control the trans, since it won't be receiving any input from the engine? Or is it just a matter of installing the EBL ECM and the trans will still run as normal?
As The_Punisher454 mentioned the '7427 PCM still gets the sensor inputs that it requires to run the transmission. They also go to the EBL Flash ECM for it to use (shared). If you want a knock reporting setup you will need to add in an external knock filter. With the 4L80E the loss of the knock sensor to the '7427 PCM causes the shifts to be funny. Using a 3.9K ohm resistor in place of the knock sensor fixes this.

Your last comment about not being able to run a TBI engine, so I would basically need to do the EBL Flash port mod at the same time as the MPFI intake, and I should be good to go, but wouldn't be able to go back to Throttle Body injectors, correct?
That is correct.

RBob.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '74 Firebird, '84 vette
Engine: 454 twin turbo, 350 HSR
Transmission: 4L80E, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9", Dana36

With the 4L80E the loss of the knock sensor to the '7427 PCM causes the shifts to be funny.
Dang, didnt know that one, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:11 PM

Is there a reason that the knock sensor wouldn't be able to be shared with both the EBL Flash and the 7427 ECM?

Bob, I also read another post you made in a different thread stating that the EBL Flash did not support boost? What did you mean by that?

Again, thanks for all the help, guys. I have 1 more week of classes, then I'll be diving into the tuning aspect as much as I can. Can't wait to get started with this intake. Right now, I'm averaging 9-10 mpg. I know it's running rich, but from what I've read about the throttle body injectors, they have to be rich at idle and low RPM in order to keep up with fueling needs at higher RPM. The kinds of injectors and tuning that I can do with this MPFI setup would greatly improve that aspect.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:42 AM

Is there a reason that the knock sensor wouldn't be able to be shared with both the EBL Flash and the 7427 ECM?
Try it and see how it is. It may attenuate the knock sensor signal some, but that can at times be a good thing.

Bob, I also read another post you made in a different thread stating that the EBL Flash did not support boost? What did you mean by that?
Without the context that statement was made, I don't know why I would post that.

The EBL Flash ECMs can handle a 2-bar MAP (to 15 psi boost) or a 3-bar MAP (good to 30 psi).

RBob.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Maybe he searched an old thread about Classic EBL, and just assumed EBL Flash. Dunno...

GMCYukonDriver, you dare flaunt a Whipple Supercharger with no pictures for us...?
Old 04-30-2017, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure I'll have more later. Now I'm off to go read as much on tuning with EBL as I can. I'll come back with more questions, I'm sure.

Just a couple parting questions. Would running EBL Flash interfere with a code reader? For example, if I have an issue, would a mechanic with a reader still be able to diagnose it?

Second, would this affect smog testing at all?
Old 04-30-2017, 12:43 PM

Lol, here ya go Street Lethal. That pic is back from when I first installed it. I've done some minor work since then. Mostly working on a custom CAI tubing setup (not much room between the throttle body and the firewall). Going to build a box for the filter so it seals up to the fender. I wish I could figure out how to take advantage of the cowl hood with ducting to the filter or something, but I'm just not sure if I have the clearance.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure I'll have more later. Now I'm off to go read as much on tuning with EBL as I can. I'll come back with more questions, I'm sure.

Just a couple parting questions. Would running EBL Flash interfere with a code reader? For example, if I have an issue, would a mechanic with a reader still be able to diagnose it?
The MIL lamp gets moved over to the EBL Flash ECM. But the ALDL data stream is still from the PCM. So yes, the PCM can still be scanned.

Second, would this affect smog testing at all?
Not unless the tune was totally hosed. The EGR is supported along with a CCP purge valve (if used).

RBob.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:28 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Lol, here ya go Street Lethal. That pic is back from when I first installed it. I've done some minor work since then. Mostly working on a custom CAI tubing setup (not much room between the throttle body and the firewall). Going to build a box for the filter so it seals up to the fender. I wish I could figure out how to take advantage of the cowl hood with ducting to the filter or something, but I'm just not sure if I have the clearance.

Hrmm.. What blower is this? What manifold?

Vortec Distributor ?

I've not seen this setup before for an SBC.

-- Joe

Search this Thread