DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

EBL Flash- is a 2 step rev limiter possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 6.8 HSR N2O
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 9" Moser 3.50 True trac
EBL Flash- is a 2 step rev limiter possible?

Is there a way to use/configure EBL flash to provide a 2 step function for racing? Or maybe just have the rev limiter at a lower setting (say 3500 or so) that is initiated by a switch, that goes away when the switch is deactivated and no upper rev limit?

I'm running a stick shift and want a way to control the rpm at the line. I can rely on the MSD box for the upper rev limit but thought maybe there's a way to use EBL to set a lower rev limit.

On the other hand I thought possibly of using the "high idle" function on a push button or wired in with the clutch pedal switch to hold rpm at the line. Any thoughts appreciated.

BTW EBL is working great for my engine combo.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Supreme Member

Re: EBL Flash- is a 2 step rev limiter possible?

Sorry for the double post but...

I was reading up on the EBL information about the high idle function. It says the upper idle speed is limited by the max IAC and an "upper calibration limit of 3187". Maybe this can be manipulated to have the upper calibration limit user defined?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Not sure what you mean by having a user defined upper High Idle limit. The 3187 RPM upper limit is as high as the user can set the high idle RPM. The actual value for the high idle is set by the user.

If you are willing to give up the knock retard system it can be used for a 2-step. Set the knock parameters up so that the knock enable RPM is the limit. Can then ground the knock input to set up continuous knock retard.

Note that the EBL Flash ECM, although not the P4 or SFI-6 ECM, will need a 1K pull-up on the knock input.

RBob.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RBob
Not sure what you mean by having a user defined upper High Idle limit. The 3187 RPM upper limit is as high as the user can set the high idle RPM. The actual value for the high idle is set by the user.

If you are willing to give up the knock retard system it can be used for a 2-step. Set the knock parameters up so that the knock enable RPM is the limit. Can then ground the knock input to set up continuous knock retard.

Note that the EBL Flash ECM, although not the P4 or SFI-6 ECM, will need a 1K pull-up on the knock input.

RBob.
You're the guru for sure.

I probably need to look into the high idle further but I hadn't seen the user defined table.

That is a very interesting use of the knock retard. To make sure I understand your suggestion, I ground the knock input to "enable the limit" base on a switch (button or whatever) and then open that circuit to disable the limit. Please further explain how I would connect the 1k pull-up resistor. I basically need a 1k resistor going around the "arm" switch to ground so the knock lead is either connected directly to ground or through a 1k to ground. Is that correct?

On a different subject, shift light. Can the LED's be the newer bright LED as long as the current doesn't exceed the max value? I am considering using a LED flash light modified to work off 12vdc with resistors. I bench tested it last night to get the resistor value but still need to double check the current. As long as I am under the limit (240mA I believe) it is ok for the ECM to drive it directly.

Last edited by antman89iroc; 04-26-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Correct mA value
Old 04-26-2017, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by antman89iroc
You're the guru for sure.

I probably need to look into the high idle further but I hadn't seen the user defined table.
It is just a single value:

IAC - B9in Idle Speed

That is a very interesting use of the knock retard. To make sure I understand your suggestion, I ground the knock input to "enable the limit" base on a switch (button or whatever) and then open that circuit to disable the limit. Please further explain how I would connect the 1k pull-up resistor. I basically need a 1k resistor going around the "arm" switch to ground so the knock lead is either connected directly to ground or through a 1k to ground. Is that correct?
The 1K 1/2W resistor goes between the knock input to the ECM (pin B7) and IGN+.

When that input is grounded the ECM goes into knock mode. This causes the ECM to retard the timing.

Set the knock MPH threshold to 0, and the RPM threshold to the RPM for the spark retard.

There are attack and decay tables for how quickly each is done. Plus maximum spark retard tables for PE mode and non-PE mode.

On a different subject, shift light. Can the LED's be the newer bright LED as long as ... As long as I am under the limit (240mA I believe) it is ok for the ECM to drive it directly.
Yes.

RBob.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

I found the IAC-B8 Idle speed setting, thanks.

In regard to the resistor wiring, are either of these 2 diagrams correct?

Old 04-27-2017, 12:21 PM

Either one will work. Actually don't have to ground B7 for knock counts to occur, just remove the pull up from B7. I forgot about that part.

In diagram #1, it doesn't require the ground to the switch. Just opening the 1K from pin B7 will do it.

In diagram #2 the ground is required at the switch. As it pulls down the +12 volts to pin B7.

RBob.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:31 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS

Did you ever get this working?
Old 10-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by NotARobit
Did you ever get this working?
I did not. The main reason is I have KR disabled via the parameters but do still monitor knock counts. I didn't want to either enable KR or lose counts.
However, I have taken a different approach. Since my car is a stick shift I simply take the SA to 0 in the RPM/MAP range at the starting line. For instance, it is set to 0 above 3200RPM below 50MAP. It isn't a "rev limiter" per se but does help keep revs very close to the RPM I want on the line. As soon as the clutch starts to come out and load the engine the MAP changes to a portion of the table where SA is normal. And that's how I chose to do it.