Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Electric cooling fan problems...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2000, 12:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
Electric cooling fan problems...need advice

I've had this problem with the fan since I bought the car. I can't get the fan to turn on automatically at all, even with the A/C turned on (my compressor is bad though) . If I ground the wire that goes to the switch on the passenger side of the block, the fan will run whenever the ignition switch is in the "on" position, which is a pain in cold climates. I replaced the switch twice (side of engine block), and still nothing. Could the relay be bad on the firewall?? How can I check it? BTW, it's a single fan system. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I've been scratching my head over this for a long time. - Jeff
Old 11-16-2000, 07:56 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '92 Z28; Dk Teal; Her Pkg
Engine: 305
Transmission: Richmond 6 Spd
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", Detroit Locker, 3.70
What year is your third gen? Which motor? In an '87 single fan system, the switch in the pass side head turns the fan on @ around 220, or so. Way too high. The A/C switch should also cause the fan to come on, when it is engaged. Pep Boys sells fan switches that install in the radiator fins - get one of & connect one side of the switch to the wire leading to the fan switch in the head & the other side to ground. Also, if the fan comes on when you ground the wire going to the fan switch, the relay is working. The fan must be running when the A/C is on, or the compressor head pressure will go sky high, possibly damaging the compressor.

Tim
Old 11-16-2000, 08:22 AM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the response Tim. I should have used my signature on my initial post (duh) so everyone would know which system I have. I have thought about installing an aftermarket switch, but I'm skeptical as to whether it would work since I can't seem to get the stock switch (2nd one) to work at all, so I am kinda thinking that the switch isn't the problem. I have also read a post in the archives that stated if the fan runs when the switch wire is grounded, the fan and relay are ok, which is why I'm baffled on this. You mention in your post about connecting 1 wire to the switch, and the other to ground. I seem to only have 1 wire to my switch. My A/C probably needs a recharge because the compressor will not engage, but the fan should still run anyway right?? BTW, I have a '83 Z28 L69 HO project car, and the temp switch screws in the passenger of the block, and 1 wire going to it. I even ensured the hole the switch screws into was clean to ensure the switch could groun when the temp reaches 220, but it still won't turn the fan on. I may end up buying an aftermarket switch just to try it, but if there is no problem with the switch, then it's something else. Anyone had this happen to them?? What else can I do to make this sucker work??

------------------
Freshly rebuilt 19831/2 or 3/4 Camaro Z28 305 H.O. 3:73 Gears, BW T-5, Duel Snorkle, Rhino Clutch, 2040 Compu-cam, LS1 valve springs, porting, PST front end kit, K&N Filter and runs great but ain't streetable yet!!....Future Mods: Not yet decided if I'll keep it!
Old 11-17-2000, 07:11 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '92 Z28; Dk Teal; Her Pkg
Engine: 305
Transmission: Richmond 6 Spd
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", Detroit Locker, 3.70
Like I said, if you ground the wire going to the switch & the fan comes on, either the switch turn on temperature is too high, or the switch is defective. If you don't want to add an aftermarket switch to the radiator location, you could add an aftermarket switch to the RH cylinder head location, that turns on at a lower temperature, but they are more pricey. Hypertech sells two switches - on turns on @ 176 & the other @ around 185, or so. In the '85 & '87 single cooling fan system, the A/C control switch grounds the relay coil, when the switch is in the Max, Norm, or Bilevel positions, regardless of the state of the low pressure switch on the accumulator - so the fan should run when A/C is selected. Also, the stock switch in the head is actually set for 239 F - way too high. If you have an '83 setup, you must have added the electric fan system, correct? If so, you will need the correct A/C selector switch that has an output that is grounded in the A/C positions in order to get the fan to come on with the A/C - unless you add an additional relay that is connected up such that the +12 volt A/C output from your A/C switch powers the relay coil & the relay contacts are paralleled with the fan switch in the RH cylinder head.

Tim
Old 11-17-2000, 07:42 AM
Supreme Member

Hmmmm..I guess I'll have to buy an aftermarket switch and just try it. I have tried 2 new stock ones, and they refuse to turn the fan on. BTW...my car came stock with the electric fan setup, and I believe I had heard that the fan should run when the A/C is selected from another post I had read. It was the first year the system was used by GM, and also it was the first year the L69 option package was offered, which is what I have. It's basically a "High Output" version of the 305 (if there is such a thing) along with a Borg Warner 5-speed. An automatic trans was not offered with the L69 package in '83. I appreciate your responses to my questions, and I'll try an aftermarket switch as you suggest because I don't know what else to try. Thanks again!! If anyone else reading this post has any more info, please resond and let me know if there's anything else I can do!

------------------
Freshly rebuilt 19831/2 or 3/4 Camaro Z28 305 H.O. 3:73 Gears, BW T-5, Duel Snorkle, Rhino Clutch, 2040 Compu-cam, LS1 valve springs, porting, PST front end kit, K&N Filter and runs great but ain't streetable yet!!....Future Mods: Not yet decided if I'll keep it!
Old 11-19-2000, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T56
not sure if i read the post right but if your fan comes on when you turn the key to acc...for the radio...without turning on the car...then your fan is hooked up manually to run full time...basically it is bypassing any switch or sensor/relay. mine is hooked up like that too but havent really tried to set it up like stock...so i cant help you with that...but atleast you know whats goin on now...you have to rewire the fan to include the sensor.

------------------
Rick
90 Camaro RS 305 TBI
400 small block, Hooker 1 3/4 super comp long tubes, Random Tech Cat, Hooker aero chamber cat back on the way!!
TH700-R4 with Trans-Go shift kit
MacEwen Motorsports White Gauge Overlays
K&N Filter Charger (wooohooo)
GTS Headlight and Taillight covers
5% Limo Tint all around
Classic White Chevy Bowtie sticker on rear window
www.geocities.com/esvalenz

Man if my camaro were a rice-rocket all those mods would give me what...easily 50-60 hp!!!
Old 11-21-2000, 08:57 PM
Supreme Member

Actually Black, the fan will run whenever I turn the switch to the "Run position". I just can't seem to make it run with the Temperature switch at all for some reason. Even when I turn the A/C on, it won't run. Not sure if anyone else has had this happen to them or not.

[This message has been edited by Confuzed1 (edited November 21, 2000).]
Old 11-21-2000, 09:05 PM
Supreme Member

Anyone???

------------------
Freshly rebuilt 1983 Camaro Z28 305 H.O. (L69) 3:73 Gears, BW T-5, Duel Snorkle, Rhino Clutch, 2040 Compu-cam, LS1 valve springs, porting, PST front end kit, K&N Filter and runs great but ain't streetable yet!!....Future Mods: JUNK IT if this keeps up!!
Old 11-21-2000, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my opinion.....just something to think about

rip it all out and re-install . start from scratch..cant hurt....should u do it ..make shure u dont fry anything