Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

WTF??? Car dies , catches on fire HELP!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF??? Car dies , catches on fire HELP!!!!!!!!!

ok, just got done putting on my hooker supercomp LT's and CVT protorque mini-starter. Had to shim and reshim the starter, relocate knock sensor to other side of the block and finally got it all wedged in there.
it was running with only headers, so the o2 sensor is sitting on the intake manifold. I let it sit and idle(revved it to the redline several times) for a total of 20 minutes, with no problems.
then i take it out on the road in front of my house(at 10:30pm) damn, it was badass!
yeah, badass until it dies, and everything electrical goes out after 15 sec at WOT!
So i'm going 65 in total darkness and when i get it stopped and open the hood the battery is on fire!!!
All i know is that there is a large hole in the battery and it looks like someone tried to weld the cable to the battery terminal.
that heater hose that sticks out along the passenger side valve cover was leaking coolant, and i may have had a little too much coolant in it, but i can't see how that would cause the problem.

anyway, i have no idea what happened so please help!!!!!!!

------------------
89 RS (supposed 350) TBI auto
Old 05-21-2001, 12:25 AM

I haven't checked anything else-waiting for daylight- will keep y'all updated

------------------
Old 05-21-2001, 12:56 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Your battery cable may have grounded out on the header around the starter or somewhere along the lines of where you moved the cable.

That sounds similar to what happened in my old daytona. I hit a much larger dip in the road that it appared for the speed & about when dukes of hazzard over it. but the battery broke free of the hold down & grounded to the hood instantly killing all power to the car

------------------
-Welders get better penetration

[This message has been edited by deadbird (edited May 20, 2001).]
Old 05-23-2001, 01:59 PM

Thanks guys that is what happened, the positive cable grounded on the header.

ok, i replaced the battery and the bad wires, and re-routed all the wires going to the starter around the header. i also checked all the blade fuses under the dash and replace the ACC one.

When i turn the key, nothing happens, like the battery isn't even connected. i know the battery is good, and i can't see any thing else wrong visually.

What could be causing this? bad ignition? Alternator? coil? distributor?

------------------
Old 05-23-2001, 05:00 PM

it's the fusible link from the starter. the wire that's bolted to the same termial as the battery cable should have a little plastic piece or something similar to that on it (this shouldnt be far up the line) this is a built in fuse which probably blew out. go to a parts store and get a new one, cut the wire on your car, splice it together (make sure you connect this good and insulate well) and you should be up and running

------------------
85 Z28- 350, Comp 262, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 600 cfm carb and Edelbrock cat back, Summit headers and vette servo
-JVC, Eclipse, Pioneer, MTX, Phoenix Gold, Planet Audio
Old 05-23-2001, 07:21 PM

Ok, one problem solved, another found. i guess when i was securing the wires, a wire going to the starter got disconnected.
So now the car cranks, but will not start up. i've checked and double checked the wires and can't find anything.
Could this be my coil?

------------------
Old 05-24-2001, 01:05 PM

Ok, it starts now , but will not stay running. The injectors don't spray at all. I guess i need new injectors, or could it be something else??

------------------