Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

busted radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
busted radio

I didn't know whether to post this here or the electrical forum. My radio isn't working at all. However, if I push the power button, the antanae will go up and down accordingly. Could this just be a fuse? Please help, I'm going on an 850 mile road trip soon, and it would suck to have no tunes the whole way. Thanks.
I posted this on the audio board, but posted it here just in case. Can anyone help me with this?
Old 12-13-2002, 10:03 PM
3gc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
If you have the stock radio i'd say just buy a new one and put it in. If it's an aftermarket deck, I think all of them have a fuse in the back of it. Not sure if that's it but it might be worth a shot.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:10 AM

The radio needs has two different sources of power------ constantly-on, to retain your station presets and keep the clock going, and switched-power, so the radio won't play with the key off. Some factory Delco radios will still switch on, but not work properly, if the constant power is missing.

First, of course, make sure your radio fuse is good, and whatever fuse powers the lighter and dome light---this is where the constant power comes from.

After that, pull the radio out and test the wires right at the radio----yellow is switched, orange is constant. If one or more of these wires isn't working as it should be, find and correct the problem. If both wires are good, replace/repair the radio. And old Delcos are so cheap and easy to come by, that repairing the broken one isn't worthwhile.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:26 AM

how do I test those wires out seperately?
Old 12-17-2002, 10:27 PM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
to test your "Constant" (which is obviously . constant, power) what you will need is a wire tester, the one with the little light inside the handle is always the best to do this. What you need to do is take the wire tester, connect it to a ground, usually you can just clip it to the wire that comes from the antenna (that big plug thing) and then start touching all the wires until the handle lights up. remember to do this with the car totaly off and take the keys out to be safe. Once you find your constant, connect it to the cd player, usually red wire i think, or is it yellow.. i cant remember. its red or yellow for sure. MAKE SURE TO PUT ELECTRICAL TAPE AROUND IT SO IT DOES NOT SPARK AGAINST GROUND!!

to test the, accessory wire, (is what its called usually) this is the wire that will turn the radio on when you turn your keys, to test it ground the wire tester again, and turn the keys forward, touch every wire until you see that the light is on. when you touch a wire and the light turns on, turn the keys off and touch it again. if the light wont turn on again, that is good, if the light turns on with the keys off, its another constant and you dont want that otherwise your radio will stay on forever. Some people actually prefer this so they can play thier stereo with the keys off and they just take the faceplate off to turn the stereo off. But thats basically it, if you have any other questions about aftermarket cd players just PM me.

ps. i dont know a ton about amps, just the basics, grounds, power, speakers, ect.

good luck!