Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

>_>_>_ > Charging Problem <_<_<_<

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Yamaha Banshee
Engine: 379cc twin cyl 2-stroke stroker
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Axle/Gears: 14/41 tooth
>_>_>_ > Charging Problem <_<_<_<

I have an aftermarket volt gauge, as well as the stock unit. Before I got my CD player installed (already have the amp and subs in) I would drive around at ~14 volts all the time (reman. AC Delco unit). Then when I put in my CD player I of course had to test out the system by - yup playing it a whole lot while driving around and the subs hitting. During the first day and half of having the stereo working I would continue to pull 14 volts unless it hit hard or something, but the voltage would go right back up to 14. After that I started to notice that I was loosing voltage. I have turned off my CD player completely and driven around for a few days now. And for the last 3 days I have been at ~11 volts. If I drive with the headlights on the voltage will drop to under 10 (and even hits 9 volts occasionally with the headlights on). If I turn off the headlights and rev the motor to about 3000 RPMS and hold it there the volts will slowly climb up to 14 then when the revs go back down so do the volts (even though there is only a slight demand on the charging system).

Now to my question. I was thinking since all of this started when I had a high load placed on the alternator and whole charging system my problem must lie in that area. BUT the sounds have not been on for 3+ days and the problem remains. Is it possible that the high load placed on the stock charging system damaged something? Does it sound like I could use a 140 amp alternator if I want to continue running around with a system? Where should I look to solve this problem; 9 volts with the headlights on and no sounds is not normal. But it only started happening after the stereo install. Some help is, as always, greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brady
Old 01-08-2003, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your alternator can and will be damaged by overloads.

If your original alternator could't keep up with demands you probably blew either a diode or the voltage regulator inside the alternator.

Unfortunatly, without going into the extreme technical side, I cannot explain how to fix this, your best bet would be to buy a new alternator. (get one that puts out at least 20amps more than your peak demand
Old 01-08-2003, 10:16 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if your battery is in good condition then it does sounds like the alternator.. the voltage regulator might of went down hill from your overloads..

you might also look into a audio system capacitor..
Old 01-08-2003, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, DO NOT GET A CAP.

Caps help to stiffen bass, but will in the end make your problem worse.
A cap is just another load for your already taxed alternator to keep charged.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1999 Yamaha Banshee
Engine: 379cc twin cyl 2-stroke stroker
Transmission: 6 spd manual
Axle/Gears: 14/41 tooth
Originally posted by caraudioaddict
Your alternator can and will be damaged by overloads.

This is exactly the information I was looking for.

Originally posted by caraudioaddict
If your original alternator could't keep up with demands you probably blew either a diode or the voltage regulator inside the alternator.
Ok, I have stock headlights and wiring, and I have ditched the stock electric fan (pulls 30 amps) for a flex fan. I have two 10" subs that get 225 watts RMS each. Would a 140 amp alternator be enough (I think it will). Also will this Iceberg alternator rebuild kit fix the problems I am having? I do have a lifetime warrenty on this remanufactured AC Delco one, so I might go get another one for this kit.

I am planning on just getting another alternator (free, due to the warrenty) and putting in the $80 Iceberg alternator rebuild kit to make it a 140 ampere alternator.

Thanks,
Brady