Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Make a turn; Blow a fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Make a turn; Blow a fuse

This might be a stumper, but I have to know if anyone else has had this problem.

I have an 87 T/A (vin H) with a GTA digital dash. I can drive this car forever with no electrical problem as long as I don't make a left or right hand turn where the angle of the car is no more than about 5 degrees as I accelerate into the turn. As soon as I make a turn like this, especially when the turn is on a downhill slope, the number 9 fuse blows so loud I can hear the snap.

It is the 10amp fuse labelled "Gages". I call it the number 9 fuse because that is the number of the fuse in the fuse block graphic in the owner's manual. The owner's manual states that it is the fuse that protects the vehicle speed sensor, TCC brake switch (whatever that is), cruise control, A/C relay, gages, and rear window defogger. By experience, it also controls the power mirrors.

With the fuse blown, everything works except the speedo, odo, and the IP lights (Its amazing how dark the inside of the car is at night!).

Obviously, it seems like something is just loose enough that the centrifugal force in the turn causes it to move and short out. I've looked at everything I can see under the driver's side of the dash, but nothing appears to be loose. I know I still have work ahead of me before I give up and take it to a dealer for repair. The only other choice is to take turns like I'm 95 years old.

I have to know if anyone else has had this kind of a problem.

Thanks much,
Joe
Old 08-05-2003, 04:13 AM

dont take it to the dealer, you'll get raped badly.
just spend alot of time under your dash looking for wires that have rubbed. i know its vauge advice but thats all you can really do when it comes to wires. good luck man.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:45 PM

Car: 89 T/A
Engine: 305 TBI (Hopefully LS1 someday)
Transmission: 700 R4 (T-56 is planned too)
My brother had a buick that when he made a turn the horn would honk until he went straight again. lol! It was a short in the steering column. I would look for a burnt up wire or something in the column like the other guy mentioned. If you don't see one, try testing the hot wired to ground, w/ the wheel turned.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:42 PM

My experience with the "Gages" fuse is that it basically powers all kinds of crap...sensors, etc. Usually it's a pink/blk wire that you'll find all over the place. If you can get your hands on a shop manual that would really help. Chilton's have some diagrams in them...but they're not the best and not always complete.

I have to agree with Tyler...just gotta start tracing wires, when you find the short it'll probably be obvious.

LMAO@ the "turn-'n-honk". We had a car like that when I was a kid. Most embarassing.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:01 PM

Well, I thought that I would drop back in and give an update to this problem.

I never did get a chance to start tracing wires. However, a couple of weeks ago, out of the blue, a thought popped into my head that I should just swap out the gages fuse and see what happens.

It has been fine ever since. I make all the turns I want as fast as I want on as steep an angle as I want and the gages fuse doesn't blow out! And best of all, no smoke, no fire, and I don't smell anything burning! However, I have developed a slight nervous tick whenever I hear anything that sounds like a fuse snapping.

I have noticed that my A/C compressor doesn't engage now. I also lost the windshield washer pump. So, I'm guessing that the hard ride of the car vibrated enough parts to air gap whatever away from ground.

I'll get to trace the wiring one day, but for now, its nice to have the dash back for as long as I have it.

Thanks to all you guys who replied. Sorry that my update was so long in coming.

Joe
Old 11-05-2003, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 caddy PIMP
Engine: 4.8
Transmission: i dunno
see that saved yourself some money from the con artists (mechanics) good job!

Nate
Old 11-06-2003, 08:38 PM

Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: auto
give this a try

hey i dont know if your still having problems with it, but you could try unplugging the VSS. its a plug on the drivers side of the tranny (at least on my car). anyway, when i first got my car (used) i noticed it was unplugged so i plugged it in, well, as soon as i started to accelerate by a good deal, the gauge fuse would blow. i unplugged the VSS again and it worked fine! this may not help u since your problem involves steering but i just thought id let you know. good luck