Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

VOLTS & CHOKE light after replacing ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Camaro; in process of resto
Engine: 350 4bbl.
Transmission: 700R4 with B&M Lockup
Axle/Gears: Moser 28-spline axle; 3.23 gears
VOLTS & CHOKE light after replacing ignition switch

Long time no post...I'm glad to be back here, though! My car (82 305 de-computerized) has been mothballed for a while, but I'm cleaning her up to continue the project. Babies & moving have a way of adjusting priorities .

I had a bad ignition switch that I replaced last weekend. That's probably pertinent, as I was working under the steering column. Today I drove about fifteen miles, got new tires & the much needed alignment. On the way I noticed that the Volts light was constantly on (in variable intensity...at idle it was bright, and at 75mph it was dim...but I could still hear the audible alarm, which also varied). The idle was extremely low; probably needs adjustment & probably not important.

After driving 15 miles towards home on the interstate, the choke light came on as I approached a stop, and the car stumbled & shut off. It cranked back up, but continued this escapade with every stop.

I checked the belt & tension...great. Voltage...12.5V off; 14.5V on; 14.3V on with lights & radio on. I ran out of time to check amps, but will tomorrow. I'm reasonably confident that the alternator is fine, though...and the belt is certainly nice & tight...and in good shape.

I looked under the steering column to make sure nothing appeared unplugged or loose...everything appeared fine, although it is a rat's nest under there! Where is this alternator diode that I read about, and the choke relay located? Any pointers? That buzzing sure is annoying! I appreciate your time & help.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:55 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS - not real slow anymore...
Engine: SPDC 360 MAF EFI /w a Holley Stealth Ram
Transmission: T5 untill it blows up from to much torque
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" /w auburn pro & 3.89's
I'll take a stab at this...

After looking at the wiring diagram, It is likely as you say. The choke relay which is located in the "convenience center." 2 brown and 1 light blue wire go into this 3 prong relay.

The other possibility is the resistance wire going across the coil side of this relay.

Although I could be wrong...
Old 04-25-2006, 08:54 PM

Car: 82 Camaro; in process of resto
Engine: 350 4bbl.
Transmission: 700R4 with B&M Lockup
Axle/Gears: Moser 28-spline axle; 3.23 gears
Hmmm...replaced the alternator (discovered a bad lead to the voltage regulator) & now it exhibits low idle, skips, and has backfired twice. Before replacing the alternator it had a slightly low idle, but ran wonderfully. That did take care of Choke & Volts lights...and the buzzer, though.

What do you think...did I get a bad alternator, or can timing adjusted for a 'bad' alternator be thrown out of whack with a new alternator. Ever heard of such?
Old 04-26-2006, 04:39 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS - not real slow anymore...
Engine: SPDC 360 MAF EFI /w a Holley Stealth Ram
Transmission: T5 untill it blows up from to much torque
Axle/Gears: Ford 9" /w auburn pro & 3.89's
I guess it's possible if the timing/idle was adjusted when it was bad. I'de check to see if you're at 6* ATDC before making assumptions. People do get bad NEW alternators every now and then. I did.