Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Help - CompuStar Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Custom 1992 Camaro Z28 25th Anniver
Engine: 5.7L V8 350 L98 TPI
Help - CompuStar Alarm

Does anyone here have the CompuStar 2W8000FM-AS [Canadian Version] / 2W900FM-AS [US Version] 2-way paging Alarm System.

I'd appreciate your comments and review on it. Thanks

1. How Much did it cost?
2. How much to install?
3. How long have you had it?
4. Ease of use ? (1 - 10) [10 = BEST]
5. Features ? (1 - 10) [10 = BEST]
6. 2-way paging system (1 - 10) [10 = BEST]
7. What PROBLEMS have you had with the alarm?
8. Avg. Battery life?

9. PROS :
10. CONS :

Thanks VERY Much!!
Old 11-11-2006, 02:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 RS / 1989 RS
Engine: 3.1L MFI / Vortec 383 TBI
Transmission: T5 / LS-T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open / 3.73 Eaton posi
I have the Spread Spectrum version of that same alarm and I love it. The basic differences being the frequency and the advertized range, all the remote functions are the same. I've had it for about 3 years and cost me about $600 which included install (CompuSTAR will not allow a self install for liability reasons). I'm sure the price has gone down a bit since. Every install shop is different and each option may or may not add to the cost of the install.

Ease of use depends on how many auxilliary functions you want programmed - each requires pressing or pressing and holding a button or a combination of 2 buttons at once. I have no problems operating it.

Features - What do you want it to do? Keyless entry. Hatch release. Passive arming (when desired). Shock sensor. Remote start (even on 5-speed). My windows became express up/down as a side benifit with required window module (part of hefty price). Doors lock with ignition when driving and unlock with park brake. The list can go on...

2 way paging system is great within range. The only problem I have with mine is the distance from work to the car. I don't drive all the way to work, instead I am in a secure park & ride (video surveillance) and vanpool the rest of the way. During cold weather, I remotely start the car on the way back (Spread Spectum remote works about a mile out). FM remotes are affected by electronic interference (automatic doors on storefronts, transformers, high tension wires, etc.).

The only annoying problem I had was the way it bypassed VATS. Sometimes it tried to start, but didn't, then I had to wait the dedicated 4 minutes for VATS to reset before I could start the car. That problem has been taken care of.

My remote's battery life is rather short because I have it muted and set to vibrate (Spread Spectrum option only). I can get 2-3 months out of a battery, sometimes more. FM remote batteries can last longer.

Last edited by Al Hasse; 11-11-2006 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:33 AM

Car: Custom 1992 Camaro Z28 25th Anniver
Engine: 5.7L V8 350 L98 TPI
Originally Posted by Al Hasse
I have the Spread Spectrum version of that same alarm and I love it. The basic differences being the frequency and the advertized range, all the remote functions are the same. I've had it for about 3 years and cost me about $600 which included install (CompuSTAR will not allow a self install for liability reasons). I'm sure the price has gone down a bit since. Every install shop is different and each option may or may not add to the cost of the install.

Ease of use depends on how many auxilliary functions you want programmed - each requires pressing or pressing and holding a button or a combination of 2 buttons at once. I have no problems operating it.

Features - What do you want it to do? Keyless entry. Hatch release. Passive arming (when desired). Shock sensor. Remote start (even on 5-speed). My windows became express up/down as a side benifit with required window module (part of hefty price). Doors lock with ignition when driving and unlock with park brake. The list can go on...

2 way paging system is great within range. The only problem I have with mine is the distance from work to the car. I don't drive all the way to work, instead I am in a secure park & ride (video surveillance) and vanpool the rest of the way. During cold weather, I remotely start the car on the way back (Spread Spectum remote works about a mile out). FM remotes are affected by electronic interference (automatic doors on storefronts, transformers, high tension wires, etc.).

The only annoying problem I had was the way it bypassed VATS. Sometimes it tried to start, but didn't, then I had to wait the dedicated 4 minutes for VATS to reset before I could start the car. That problem has been taken care of.

My remote's battery life is rather short because I have it muted and set to vibrate (Spread Spectrum option only). I can get 2-3 months out of a battery, sometimes more. FM remote batteries can last longer.
Awesome Info! Thanks!

What do you mean when you say you have the "spectum version"? Which model number is that?

Does the 2-way paging work a long distance away? Like if I were in the house with the car in the garage? it would send to the remote? What about if I'm in a mall and car in parking lot?

Is there a battery indicator or like the one I have it just surprizes you with a DEAD remote?

Basically these are the only options that I'd like (which are on the one I have now)..

1. Remote start
2. Wndows roll up automatically if down when activating alarm
3. Doors lock automatically if unlocked when you are starting to drive away (think it's like 30km or so and it locks)

That's pretty much it. I am not interested in power hatch via remote (would HATE to have it pop open in the pouring rain by accident.. least with locks you can LOCK it with the remote. Hatch you would have to physically be there to push it back down. Rolling windows up/down via remote is not necessary. Thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 RS / 1989 RS
Engine: 3.1L MFI / Vortec 383 TBI
Transmission: T5 / LS-T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open / 3.73 Eaton posi
Originally Posted by camarosource
Awesome Info! Thanks!

What do you mean when you say you have the "spectum version"? Which model number is that?

Does the 2-way paging work a long distance away? Like if I were in the house with the car in the garage? it would send to the remote? What about if I'm in a mall and car in parking lot?

Is there a battery indicator or like the one I have it just surprizes you with a DEAD remote?

Basically these are the only options that I'd like (which are on the one I have now)..

1. Remote start
2. Wndows roll up automatically if down when activating alarm
3. Doors lock automatically if unlocked when you are starting to drive away (think it's like 30km or so and it locks)

That's pretty much it. I am not interested in power hatch via remote (would HATE to have it pop open in the pouring rain by accident.. least with locks you can LOCK it with the remote. Hatch you would have to physically be there to push it back down. Rolling windows up/down via remote is not necessary. Thanks
Check out this link. Mine is similar to the one on top, just an older version.

http://www.compustar.org/security_with_remote_start.htm

The basic differences between the 2W900FM-AS and the 2WSS-AS are the operating frequency and range.

To answer your other questions:

The remote works close to the advertized range (line of site normally), the FM systems are affected by electronic interference, but generally work well at within the specified range. The one you're looking at is 3000 ft (about 2/3 mile) and also works generally well from within a shopping mall. It will page you when the car is disturbed.

Yes there is a battery indicator on the remote pager, I'm not sure about the one way remote it comes with (I don't have one).

It has the basic functions you're looking for as well as remote start. Window roll-up requires an add-on module. Hatch release would be a consious action, it requires you to hold the remote button for 2 seconds to activate, same for the remote start.

Auto lock is a feature programmed by your installer
Old 11-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: lb9
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.08 posi
hey, i have the same alarm, works great, damn good range, i get well over a km page on mine. hadn't had any problems with it.