Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Wiper Motor Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiper Motor Wiring

Does anyone have the diagram that tells me what each individual plug does? I am trying to put in my 82 wiper motor, but it won't turn on. I need to see if it's the right wiper motor first, (has part number 4960754) by Delco, and then test it, can anyone tell me where I can find this information?

Can anyone send me pictures of the wiper motor and its wiring? Thanks!

Last edited by geehumshriber; 07-28-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:13 AM

Car: 82 Camaro Z28, 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0L TBI., 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto TH200C, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, ones that rotate!
Re: Wiper Motor Wiring

You can find the wiring diagrams for the 82 wiper motor(s) in this thread.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...sher-pump.html

What system do you have, delay or non delay. Each system has a different motor and the testing is a bit different. There is a whole chapter in the 82 service manual for testing and trouble shooting wiper systems on the 82 Camaros. I don't have this information scanned to upload.

Have you checked the fuse????? It is a 25 amp "WIPER" fuse and will only be hot in Acc or On positions of the ignition key. With the key in the on position and the wiper switch in the off position you should have 12 volts on the white wire at the pump motor connector.

First picture is all three connectors to a pulse (delay) system. To the left, the green wire is the dealy system wire, the pink wire is the wash system, the white (2 wires in same connector as pink wire) is +12Volts, the for the connector on the right with 3 wires, teh top one is the purple wire, which gors to the park relay, the white wire is +12 volts, and the gray wire is the wiper motor wire. Note the diode between the white and purple wires.

The second picture is a closer view of the three wire connector with the purple, white and gray wires.

The third pricture is a closer view of two connectors, one with only the green wire, and the second with the double white wire and the pink wire.

Let me know if you need some more help getting the wipers to work.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Wiper Motor Wiring-dsc00304.jpg   Wiper Motor Wiring-dsc00302.jpg   Wiper Motor Wiring-dsc00303.jpg  
Old 07-30-2007, 10:38 AM

I do believe that mine is a delay system.

This was EXACTLY what I needed, thank you SO much. I was hunting around for days trying to figure out all the connections and wiring information and then trying to interpret it all. I was checking an 86 Firebird Service Manual, but for those they have COMPLETELY different motor systems, so I was worried that the goon before me slashed apart the wiring to accomodate his own wiper motor.

Once again, thank you SO much for your help.

After plugging up all the wiring correctly: All the motor does is buzz! The motor doesn't spin, but all it does is sit at a buzz when I go through the delays. Any suggestions?

Last edited by geehumshriber; 07-30-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by geehumshriber
I do believe that mine is a delay system.

This was EXACTLY what I needed, thank you SO much. I was hunting around for days trying to figure out all the connections and wiring information and then trying to interpret it all. I was checking an 86 Firebird Service Manual, but for those they have COMPLETELY different motor systems, so I was worried that the goon before me slashed apart the wiring to accomodate his own wiper motor.

Once again, thank you SO much for your help.

After plugging up all the wiring correctly: All the motor does is buzz! The motor doesn't spin, but all it does is sit at a buzz when I go through the delays. Any suggestions?
I don't have the informaton to verify if you have the correct wiper/washer assembly. I changed my out several years ago

Attached is a photo of the assembly of the unit, with the terminal numbers identifed. This is for an 82 model, with the pluse delay or interment wipers. The next mesage wil have the troubleshooting chart from the service manual. You should be able to do all of these tests with the unit on the car and a Test Light.

You will need to right click each attachment and "Save As" to your computer. Then you can open them on your computer using Windows picture and fax viewer software or some other picture viewer software. You will be able to zoom in and read them and print them out if necessary.

On the testing chart, I think you can ignore the top left branch to verify voltage on terminal 2. The fact that you are getting a buzzing sound implies that you are getting voltage to the wiper unit.

The buzzing sound could be caused by several things, bad motor, bad relay (ther are two inside the cover), a loose wire, espically the ground connection

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Wiper Motor Wiring-82_wiper_ts_chart_1_5.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 02:00 AM

OK

Here is the testing chart, along with two additional pages of information. Mostly they show where to make test point connections or measure the voltage. you likley will have to remove the plastic cover from the pump assembly, but this should just pop off.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Wiper Motor Wiring-82_wiper_ts_chart_1_1.jpg   Wiper Motor Wiring-82_wiper_ts_chart_1_2.jpg   Wiper Motor Wiring-82_wiper_ts_chart_1_3.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 08:54 AM

YAY IT WORKS!

After I got it all connected properly, I got the buzzing noise occasional, but then I discovered the ground that is on the lower right bolt! I never knew it was grounded that way, and whatdoyouknow but it grounded properly! Then I proceeded to rebuild the motor based on your diagrams and now she works fine!

Can't wait for some rain so I can test her out, it buzz's when it can't turn all the way around, I'll have to keep looking into that because sometimes it will complete a full rotation, but sometimes it needs a little help to start turning...

Thanks Dave! Much appreciated!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:48 AM

geehumshriber

Great to hear that you have the wipers somewhat functional.

Its not clear to me if you current problem is electrical or mechanical. The troubleshooting charts in teh servic emanual do not directly describe your problem.

Here is a chart for Condition 8. It may help you determine if some of the electrical components in the wiper motor may be going south. You will need a multi meter with an ammeter scale for at least 30 ampers DC to do these tests. Also the tests can be done on the car.

The next two attachemts are for the wiper blade transmission arms. They may be out of adjustment and binding. This binding may be the cause of your problems.

You might also want to confirm that the Motor Crank Arm is luburcated and properly connected to the connector in driver's side crowl vent. Are both nuts tight? A loose one may cause some binding.

So why wait for it to rain to test the wipers Make your own rain storm with a hose

Hopefully you will get this figured out before you get caught on the road with no wipers

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Wiper Motor Wiring-82_wiper_ts_chart_8_6.jpg   Wiper Motor Wiring-82_wiper_ts_chart_8_7-.jpg   Wiper Motor Wiring-82_wiper_ts_chart_8_8.jpg