Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Power Door Locks Not Working At All

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Door Locks Not Working At All

Hey everyone. If your reading this, I thank you for at least clicking on the thread. My power door locks do not work at all. They don't work on either side, so I don't know if it's the relay or the fuse. So, a few questions.. One, Where is the relay? Second, what fuse is the one that controls the power door locks? The same one as the radio and the windows, or what? Lemme know of anything you think of, and it will be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone,
Grim
Old 07-29-2007, 12:07 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Re: Power Door Locks Not Working At All

Does the overhead light come on when you open the door? If not, that is the ACC fuse that is blown.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:39 AM

Yeah, the overhead light comes on along with the lights underneath the dash. They dont turn on when open the passenger door though, but thats most likely a whole different problem. I was looking at the actuators today and they dont make any noise or anything.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 350TPI w/ Speed Density
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Borg warner 3.27

Bust out a multi-meter. Life-saving electrical problem diagnoser (you can add that word to the dictionary if you'd like). Find out if you have voltage to the switch. Find out if the switch gives power to the actuator. Figure out the rest from there. Try both switches first though before you go rippin apart your door. If neither switch operates either actuator, it's most likely not the switch or the actuators. Never do two of the same parts go bad at the exact same time, except when people make statements like this one. drop your dash off (don't disconnect wires, just unbolt all of it so you can pull it off and look at the wires behind it).
Old 07-29-2007, 02:39 PM

Damn.. This sounds like its gonna be fun.. They never worked since I had the car though. They didn't just die.. Ive had the car for almost a year now too, just one of those things you never get around to, haha. Also, I don't know if this could have anything to do with it, but when it's hot out, and the inside of my car gets decently hot.. my power windows don't go down. But all i do is take a cooler fuse from my console and switch it with the hotter one, and then they work again. So i don't know if there's something with my fusebox or not..
Old 07-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

Power Door lock problems are almost ALWAYS the result of poor contact. Clean the plug connection at the door lock. Clean it VERY WELL ! I can't even count the cars I have worked on where I cleaned them terminals ( on the motor and the plug in many cases ) and got the locks working again.

If your going to go through the trouble of taking off the door panels you might as well pull the lock motors right out of the door so you can clean those terminals too. Just drive the pin from each rivet - then drill each rivet out. ( it takes about 2 minutes) Be sure to buy/get 4 short 10 mm nuts and bolts to re-mount the locks when your finished.

You could also remove the drivers Kick panel and expose the lock relay. The relay is grounded when it's screwed to the body - so make sure there is no rust and good contact where it screws to the body. The connections here are usually good - but unplug and plug them in a few times while the relay is exposed.

Last edited by John in RI; 07-29-2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: :driving:
Old 07-30-2007, 01:30 PM

Thanks alot, i'll try everything. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 07-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 convertible
Engine: TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi disc

This is the diagram for door locks for your year model. (on the left half)
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/mkport..._continued.gif

And this is a blown-up diagram that shows the insides of the switches and relay.
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/mkport...door_locks.jpg

Hope this helps.
Lou
Old 02-17-2013, 01:34 AM

Car: 91 z28 convertible
Engine: 350lt1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by John in RI
Power Door lock problems are almost ALWAYS the result of poor contact. Clean the plug connection at the door lock. Clean it VERY WELL ! I can't even count the cars I have worked on where I cleaned them terminals ( on the motor and the plug in many cases ) and got the locks working again.

If your going to go through the trouble of taking off the door panels you might as well pull the lock motors right out of the door so you can clean those terminals too. Just drive the pin from each rivet - then drill each rivet out. ( it takes about 2 minutes) Be sure to buy/get 4 short 10 mm nuts and bolts to re-mount the locks when your finished.

You could also remove the drivers Kick panel and expose the lock relay. The relay is grounded when it's screwed to the body - so make sure there is no rust and good contact where it screws to the body. The connections here are usually good - but unplug and plug them in a few times while the relay is exposed.

Do you have a picture of this relay grounded because I can't find anything not too sure which one is the relay
Old 02-17-2013, 05:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

If you remove the driver's side kick panel you will see the relay down low in the hole. If I recall correctly, I believe the relay gets it's ground from the sheet metal screw that mounts it to the body.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Banned

Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 350
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Their is a ton of crap under that kick panel! Where should the relay be? My diagram says 'Left shroud near lower access hole'. I don't know where that is!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM

Car: 91 z28 convertible
Engine: 350lt1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I took off my kick panel saw a relay but there's no metal in the housing to be grounded
Old 02-23-2013, 07:03 PM

Car: 84' Camaro & 71' Camaro
Engine: V6 & 350

I also can't find where it is grounded. I am getting some power to mine but not enough. The volt meter reads only 10 not 12. Am I wrong that it should be 12? Ifmot why would it only get 10?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:10 PM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Transmission: BW T5, Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Posi

The relay is the rectangular box in the top of the picture. The tab off the relay is the mount point and also the ground. It is affixed to the car with a single screw.
Attached Thumbnails Power Door Locks Not Working At All-img_0047.jpg  
Old 04-13-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by 85FBTranam
The relay is the rectangular box in the top of the picture. The tab off the relay is the mount point and also the ground. It is affixed to the car with a single screw.
So to follow up on this, I have my own problems. Have an 84 5.0 Z28 with definetly a bad relay. I ordered a new one from Ricks and the one that showed up only had four pins. When I called they said that was the only relay they were aware of so I sent it back. Does anyone know where I can order a replacement relay for the car, or was that relay some kind of modification made by chevy at some point

Thanks

Joe
Old 05-05-2013, 02:14 PM

Car: 1986 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 305 carb
Transmission: 700R

fixed m ine! Thanks, May 2013
Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89' IROC-Z
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-Bolt/2.73

Originally Posted by 85FBTranam
This correct? My door locks keep locking and unlocking killing my battery every night, so what may cause this, as I'm about to rip the doors off and clean everything up. But if I could get the parts before I do knowing it's an actual problem instead of poor contact would be appreciated. Thanks.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=221870_0_0_