Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

wiper delay problem. only one speed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro, 1986 Trans AM
Engine: V6 2.8 multi-port and V8 5.0 FI
Transmission: 5-Speed and Automatic
Axle/Gears: no idea
wiper delay problem. only one speed?

i have fixed everything on this car but one thing.

my wipers are stock with a delay system. I have already replaced the turn signal lever which also controls my wiper. no difference between old and new i still only have one speed between lo and hi.

i have nothing when the lever is in the delay area.

what could be my problem?

i noticed the previous owner cheaped out and didnt replace the washer fluid pump properly. he has one wire coming off the wiper harness to the fluid pump and the pump to ground.

you think its shorting out my wiper motor?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 PM

Re: wiper delay problem. only one speed?

I have the exact same problem. I did change the wiper arm today, everything works with turning signals and all but same problem as with previous arm, so I am guessing it is something different.

Here is some more info:
If i turn on mist, on, slow---fast and fast anything of these will give me the mist, but a long one like it goes on for about 40 seconds and then stops. And i believe i have to clean my hoses cuz it used to mist and now lately nothing comes but I can hear some air, hose is probably dirty. Haven't checked the pump or wiring but it used to work.....
Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 PM

Car: 86 T/A
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

The wiper control module is bad. It's the black cover on the wiper motor. It's a common problem and an easy fix.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 AM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 385 Fast Burn
Transmission: 700R4 - stock (eep!)
Axle/Gears: Stock, will upgrade at some point

Mine was broken during the engine install. Anyone know a place to get just that cover replacement? Does GM still stock them? My wipers work just fine but I would like that delay back hehe!
Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 AM

Car: 86 T/A
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

I believe GM still has them in stock.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 AM

Car: 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS Red
Engine: 305 V8 TBI
Transmission: TH-700R4

the wiper motor circuit board for my fathers truck came from advance and carries a longer warranty than the wiper motor itself plus at half the price, its a 93 chevrolet c1500 i think the wiper motors are about the same, there are two contact points inside on the circuit board and what happens is the vibration from the car over a period of time vibrates the solder loose on the contacts, sometimes you can open it up on the old board and resolder the contacts and it will work but on the newer boards it cannot be done because gm has updated the style to prevent this from happening.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 385 Fast Burn
Transmission: 700R4 - stock (eep!)
Axle/Gears: Stock, will upgrade at some point

Originally Posted by 1piece@atime
I believe GM still has them in stock.
Woot! Thanks!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Replacing the wiper lever does NOTHING with the wipers.. Just FYI... The wiper switch itself is inside the column. Im just assuming from the posts...but Im going to guess that you did not replace the actual switch itself?

There are a couple things you can check before you buy a new cover. First and foremost...the spliced wiring you were talking about would throw up a red flag. You should weed out the other chuckleheads wiring mess and make sure that isnt causing you problems.

Second...check the wiper board out. When you remove the cover, there are two contacts that match up and touch two contacts on the wiper cover/board. Make sure that a) the contacts are actually in place on the wiper motor, b) that the contacts are clean, and c) that they are actually touching.

One thing to consider... If the previous owner installed a new wiper motor from another car...and that car didnt have delay IT WILL NOT HAVE THE CONTACTS. There will be two little spade connectors there...but the slip on contacts will be missing. That is the ONLY difference between a delay wiper motor and a non-delay wiper motor. Everything else is in the cover and the switch in the column. I found this out when I convered my 86 non-delays system over to delay. Threw me for a loop. Took the contacts off the delay wiper motor, and putthem on the non-delay motor...and viola. Everything worked perfectly.

I mention this because the washer pump wont work correctly either. So that might be why he jumped wires. New wiper motor, without the delay contacts, he thought there was another problem, jump the pump.

Just some suggestions. If you need some more clarification...let me know. OR it might just be a bad board..haha. I was just offering up some more suggestions to look over before spending dough on a new part.

J.

P.S. here is a thread I started with my delay swap. Its only two posts...both mine. But it describes how my wipers were acting due to missing the two little contacts.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...tml?highlight=

One last thing...here is a picture of what the contacts look like. They go on male spade connectors that are on the motor. And they are basically female spade connectors, with a "springy" tab.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 10-28-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:20 PM

thank you guys very much will be trying this shortly!