Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Multiple light issues..please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 trans am, 1985 TRANS AM WS6
Engine: 305 4bbl,305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4,700R4
Axle/Gears: STOCK POSI DISC
Multiple light issues..please help!!!

Hey guys, This is LONG and confusing, but please bare with me.....
I have multiple lighting issues...(85 TA 305 TPI) Brand new battery installed yesterday..possible drain on battery, but autozone replaced for free under warranty anyway.
My Hazard lights wont work....Flasher makes "blinking noise", but only front lights dimly blink.
My front fender left/right directional lights BOTH wouldnt work..... bulbs replaced, sockets were aftermarket & corroded. They were wired with WHITE wire by last owner.(no blue & brown wires to splice into) I replaced sockets with stock ones from an 86TA harness I have.

1st Prolem:
My rear Right tail lite ONLY worked with key OFF when I turned on Headlights.
If car is started & Headlites on, ALL Right side front/rear lights wouldnt function.(directional, park and tail lites)
I reversed the wires on the right front fender socket....fixed problem with Right side front/rear lites.
I also switched the left side to see if a change occurred, but evrything works the same either way wires are switched..with headlites on OR off.... ...

NOW:
all lights operational...(LIGHTING UP) BUT: Left front fender lights up, but wont flash when directional used.
Hazards dont work still at all...
ALL LEFT SIDE front/rear /side turn signal lites dont flash with directionals , Left arrow wont flash on instrument cluster....Right turn ALL WORKING .and arrow flashing on cluster.

ALSO: my battery is hovering a little under 13v on guage now...was almost 14v before screwing with lights, and when signals are used, it fluctuates lower/higher as the blinker is running.
Are my flashers the problem????or can it be a bad wire pulling evrything down from a ground issue???
I disconnected the battery for the night cause I dont wanna kill it..I want to try buying directional and hazard flashers tomorrowsince they are cheap anyways.
Any suggestions are appreciated!!!1
thanks, Paul
Old 08-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 trans am, 1985 TRANS AM WS6
Engine: 305 4bbl,305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4,700R4
Axle/Gears: STOCK POSI DISC
Re: Multiple light issues..please help!!!

FIXED PROBLEM!!!
I Got 2 new flashers from autozone for 8.99 each. Before opening them I tested for a grounding drain with a testlite between the neg.cable and frame.
No light.....so after installing the hazard flasher first, same problem....only the right side worked fine. After both installed...PRESTO ! evrything works, and ligts are 10 times brighter. The only bulb dead still is the left directional arrow on cluster.
BOTH old flashers were n/g cause i tried evry swap imaginable with one new and one old flasher.