Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

electrical problems in my 89 IROC-Z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical problems in my 89 IROC-Z28

Ok, So I just bought my first 3rd Gen, Camaro. I love the thing to death. It is the 350 5.7
I am having some problems with the electrical, I need your help, please?
Sooo, this is what is happening. I turn on the car and the lights, i start driving down the road then my headlights go out, so does the after market stereo, the dome light, the door locks, and all the gauge lights. Even when i don't turn the lights on and am driving down the road the stereo will shut off and then i can't even turn the lights on, the dome and can't use my door locks. I can't figure out what it is. They do come back on after a little bit, but then go back out. It is really weird. Does anyone know what could be going on? I thought it may be a ground wire? all the grounds looked fine to me. what could it be? a relay, just a burnt wire? haha i don't know, but i want it fixed so i can drive at night, and also during the day with a fully functional radio. haha thanks for your help guys LET ME KNOW!

Last edited by CAMARO&TA GUY; 11-13-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:37 PM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 383 ci
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: posi 342
Re: electrical problems in my 89 IROC-Z28

Just a few questions. Are you blowing any fuses? Is this hapening when you hit a bump either when they go off or on? Is one of the head lights brighter than the others? Do any other lights come on or off when you engage the turn signals or fog lamps?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:52 PM

No I have not blow any fuses at all, i have tested them all with a test light as well. When i can't get the lights, radio, dome light, door locks, or gauge lights to go on some of the fuses won't light up with the test light. BUT i haven't blown any of them. Sometimes they go off when i hit a bump but i have had it in my driveway and they just go off. It is really weird. The lights are all the same brightness, and no other lights go on or off when i use blinkers, etc.
It just has me so confused. Any ideas?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:24 PM

Possibly a loose connection down at the starter? GO TO IT FROM UNDERNEATH, [WITH JACKSTANDS HOLDING THE CAR UP!!!] and see if all the ring connectors are tight on the main post.
You'll find that the main battery cable and several main wires from the fuse box all join there. Chevy used this as a main junction/distribution point for some stupid reason. I never did like this.

REAL GOOD ADVICE:
See if you can get the car up on a lift. While under there checking the ring terminals, also pull the wires ONE AT A TIME, to see if you have a bad fusible link. A fusible link is sometimes noticed by a large black plastic "barrel" shaped 'thingy' between wire and fusible link. Sometimes not... Mostly fusible link is hard to detect, but it looks like someone had extended the wiring with about 3-5 inches of "other" wire, and for seemingly no apparent reason.

Hope this helps,
Scott AKA YL
Old 11-13-2008, 01:35 PM

I did do that, I had it up on stands 2 feet and was messin around looking and the fusable link is in good shape. The connections looked to be ok, but i will check them again tonight. I didn't know that all those main wires joined there. I will get under and take a look and also check all the connections, terminal links, etc. Thanks so much. DO you have any other ideas for me?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:50 PM

Just be very safe. I fear the worst when ever giving advice to get under a car.

On your starter, you should have:
1 wire to the solenoid, to engage the starter
1 large cable from the battery
2-3 smaller wires, maybe more that go to the chassis electrical system. These should all have fusible link wire on them. Remember that fusible link is WIRE and not a FUSE HOLDER...
Fusible link wire looks like regular wire that was added to existing wire, but it 'blows' like a fuse. Sometimes it does not 'blow' completely, and causes intermittent problems such as yours.

It is those last 2-3 wires I suggested to be possible culprit. Make sure the nut on them is tight as well. BTW, gently 'tug' on them to see is any one of them is soft or spongy feeling. If one is soft or spongy see if it will pull clean apart. If so, you have found your problem.

OH, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY NEGATIVE POST!!! I almost forgot that. I just heard about a buddy setting his Blazer afire because of this.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:57 PM

haha oh gee. That is not good for you buddy.
Hey thanks so much. I will give that a try right when i get off work tonight. I hope that cures my problem. I did not know that it had that many wires to it. I checked and there was a fusable link and it seemed to be just fine. I guess we will see. Thank you so much. Let me know if you have any other ideas