Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91' Firebird
Engine: 3.1 LH0 V6
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip
Windshield wipers

So I uncovered my car the other day, it was under it's cover under snow for a long time. And when I started it it ran fine but the wipers came on imediatley, and fast. The switch is on off but they''re going like the switch is in the on no delay position.

I'm not sure exactly how these are set up, but I thinks it's probably a stuck relay or something, whatever the switch goes to that controls the wipers. Anyone have any idea, where to look or what to do?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:52 PM

Re: Windshield wipers

No one knows this. Location of the wiper relay or any help you can give?
I'm not exactualy sure how GM wipers work since they hide when you turn them off.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:32 PM

Car: 82 Camaro Z28, 88 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.0L TBI., 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto TH200C, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, ones that rotate!

K-Slice

There is no relay in the wiper circuit. It sounds as if you have a short somewhere in the circuit. This short is powering the fast speed position of the wiper motor, driving the wiper blades.

You can find the wiring diagram at this link...

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

The wiring should go from the wiper motor to the bulkhead connector and then into the car. A connector should be at the base of the steering wheel. This connector connects to the pigtail from the wiper switch.

The short could well be at the pump motor. Have you inspected the wiring yet? Do you have any signs that mice were in the engine compartment this winter? They love to chew the wire insulation!!!

Dave
Old 03-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Finally a reply, haha. Thank you.

The wiring under the hood all looks good to me, no sign of mice. I looked at it a little and kinda figured out the wipers were controlled by the switch and the motor and nothing else. I guess I'll have to do some more lookin around for the short. The weird thing is when I start the car the wipers go down to the stop position, then start going on constant.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:19 PM

K-slice

Sounds as if a little troubleshooting is in order. Start the car and see what happens if you operate the wiper switch to its different positions. It is unclear from your first post if you tried this

Assuming the problem still persists after operating the switch, the next step will be to turn the car off and find the connector for the wiper circuit at the base of the steering wheel. Disconnect the connector and start the car again.

If the wipers don't start now, it would imply that the short is in the electrical wiper switch. This switch is located inside the column and will need to be replaced. (The turn signal/wiper control stalk is just a mechanical interface to the switch) It is possible that the mechanical functions in the stalk for the wiper controls are broken, but I don't have a good test for that.

If the wipers still run, then the problem is likely in the wiper motor unit. Again, replacement is probably the best option.

You can also check the wiring for shorts as follows: with the above connector still disconnected, and and the connectors pulled off the wiper motor, use an ohmmeter. Check each wire, at the motor connectors to ground. Any wire that gives you 0 ohms is connected to ground. Hopefully you won't find any of these. Also check each wire to every other wire in the connector. Again you should not find any 0 ohm readings. If you do, that is likely your short. Finally, try the ohmmeter on the connector at the base of the steering wheel. Use it on the end that leads to the bulkhead connector.

Hope this give you a few items to look at in resolving your problem. Let us know what you find.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 PM

The wipers work normal except in the off position, in which they go like the switch is in the slow postion (one click above delay).
I think I should be able to figure it out not. It's still freezing out today but tomorrows supposed to be above 40 so I'll take a look then. The wiring for the wipers is really pretty simple. But one thing, you say to unplug the wiper switch, in the diagram it looks like power goes through the wiper switch to the motor. So when you disconnect the 2 there will be no power ti the motor and of course the wipers wont run. Am I wrong?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:21 AM

K-slice

Pull the wiper fuse also, then there will be no power on the circuit when you are doing the ohmmeter checks.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2012 GMC Sierra SLT Z71
Engine: LC9 5.3L
Transmission: 6L90
Axle/Gears: 3.08

I am having the same problem with the Camaro I just bought. The wipers operate normally in all the switch positions (int., lo, high) but when you turn them to the off position they continue to go as if they were on Lo. Eventually mine do stop though. This makes me think there is a switch or sensor of some kind that tells the wipers to stop only once they reach the bottom of the windshield (so that when you turn them off they don't stop in the middle). If its a switch that does this it may be sticking and that's why the wipers won't stop, because it never says "hey, your at the bottom you can stop now". Anybody know if there is such a switch and where it might be located? I haven't dug into this problem yet this is just my idea of what it might be.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 AM

I think I found the problem on mine. The top yellow wire going to the motor is worn almost right through, it has maybe 3 or 4 of the strands in the braided wire leftOther than that all my wiring looks good (although alot of it I can't see because it's the harness with tons of other wires in a black tube.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:12 PM

Finally got around to fixing those wires.. Wipers still run when the switch is off, but don't run when the control is unplugged. I'm thinking the problem is the switch inside the car so I'll have to figure out how to replace that. Anyone done this, is it difficult?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305 H.O. VIN "H" LG4 (For now...)
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Was there a final outcome to this? Mine are doing the same thing. Run fine in all positions except "OFF". "OFF" equals "Lo" in my car too...
Old 04-28-2011, 10:03 AM

I found additional wires under the dash that had been cut, then twisted back together and covered with electrical tape. I undid this mess, cleaned the wires and crimped them together. Problem solved.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305 H.O. VIN "H" LG4 (For now...)
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual

Sweet. Looks like I'll be on the hunt for frayed wires.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:42 PM

I hope it's an easy fix like mine was. If your pulse module is bad you'll be JY diving for one since no part store had anything like it, or even a PN for one.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Car: '83 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: 2.8L v6 (LC1)
Transmission: A3

Same problem here. Allow me to explain in detail what I've gone through so far:
Windshield washer often doesn't work on command (but will work some time after I try to do so), sometimes works fine.
Wipers work fine, but sometimes don't stop wiping after I turn off, until I turn the car off. Recently they started staying on constantly while the key was turned on, regardless if the off position. While they are on the fritz (on constantly), they are on in the low speed, but will go to the high speed if I switch it to the high speed, and the intermittent doesn't work. Sometimes intermittent does work though.

I got in to the fuse assembly and looked at the wiring, it all looks great, don't see any problems, just some dust. Wiggle around a little bit, and all my problems have gone away. So obviously there is a problem in the wiring (maybe they just got loose?), but I don't know which wires to look for. But for now, I'm not going to worry about it, as wiring down there for a tall guy (6'4") is a pita.