Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Attempted to swap in LT1 gear reduction starter, fusible links too short?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Z/28
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73's I think
Attempted to swap in LT1 gear reduction starter, fusible links too short?

Thought i would upgrade the stock starter to the LT1 version which is a gear reduction, same mod I did on my old Monte Carlo. Problem is the fusible links wires are too short. Is it ok to splice in a section of wire? Does it matter which end? They look different than the ones I have seen, they have a section covered in plastic, vs. the wire covered in shrink wrap I'm used to. Wasn't sure if these OEM versions were preferred, or I should cut them out, and replace w/ a section of wire and new links.

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 02-28-2010, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73
Re: Attempted to swap in LT1 gear reduction starter, fusible links too short?

Extend from the bigger side of the wire. The small side is solid core and designed to fry when the link pops. Adding a splice on the small side will increase resistance and cause the link to pop at a lower spike
Old 03-10-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Z/28
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73's I think
Re: Attempted to swap in LT1 gear reduction starter, fusible links too short?

OK, one more follow-up. Since I have a dual-post battery I decided to just move those wires from the starter post to the other positive terminal on the battery. I also replaced the cable to the starter. This cable also had a pigtail that connected to the charge wire from the alternator, and had a little black barrel-shaped piece of plastic. One side has the input from the alternator and one wire coming out, the other side had another wire coming out and the lead to the battery. Both of the outgoing wires go to a plug a little further towards the firewall. One is for the lead back to the fender for the fan(s) it appears, but not sure what the other lead is for (car starts w/o it). It has "fusible link" written on the wire, and not sure the best method to replace this. I don't see a junction in the wire between the part that was cut and the terminal in the connector... I'm ok w/ just replacing the whole link, just have no idea how to determine the size/rating.

Thanks,
Jeff