Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Is the wiper switch in the multi-function lever?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L V8
Transmission: Auto
Is the wiper switch in the multi-function lever?

I am trying to diagnose a problem with my wipers. I thought the switch was in the multi-function (turn signal) lever but I have read some things indicating that the switch is NOT in the lever but in the steering column. Maybe that is only for certain makes/models??
Old 02-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: Is the wiper switch in the multi-function lever?

Let's put it this way: The turn signal lever only has the cruise control switches inside, if equipped. It plugs into the wiper switch in the steering column (pull it straight out) and actuates the switch via a key on the shaft. The wiper switch is connected to the turn signal switch via a lever that is removed with 1 screw. It's the same way with most GM RWD vehicles, especially the trucks, until the mid-90s (and most pre-90 tilt columns, IIRC).
Old 02-19-2011, 09:50 PM

Ok, so when I tried a new turn signal lever to potentially fix my wiper problems (don't work in delay or low speed but only in high and they also don't park right away when shut off), that did absolutely nothing since I didn't actually change out a potentially bad switch. What is also confusing is that when you go to some parts sites and search for 'wiper switch', they show you pics of the turn signal lever that I just mentioned!!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_562289775___

THAT'S the switch... You'll need a steering wheel puller and lock plate remover to get at it. You'll also need a Torx bit set to remove the switch housing from the steering column (also could be a good time to tighten the steering column if yours is tilt and it's loose) and something to press the pivot pin out of the housing. And don't forget to drop the column out of its position under the dash and remove the dash bracket as these could interfere with removing the switch's wiring from the column jacket.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:04 AM

Ok, thanks for clearing that up! Now, however, before I spend $160 on a new switch, I need to figure out if my wiper problems are due to the switch or the wiper motor. I have already tried a new circuit board module and that had no effect. Since I bought the car in 1998, the delay wipers didn't work very well or at all. That eventually stopped altogether and then years later the low speed quit. I have only had high speed available for many years (it is mostly garaged so no big deal). Also, the wipers never 'parked' properly after being shut off. They would continue wiping like 20-30 times and then eventually stop. Then most recently in the past couple years, the wipers would just stop where they were on the windshield when I shut them off. Sometimes, they would then go to the park position on their own but maybe after 5-15 mins. Most recently, they stopped on the windshield and I gave it HOURS to go to park and they have still not moved there (with the ignition key in and accessory power on). Now they are stuck there. Does it sound like a bad switch or motor or BOTH? I also need to figure out how to get the wipers to go into park. Maybe putting a new switch in will resolve ALL the problems?