Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Some Security Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88' White-Black Trans Am
Engine: Trying to find a motor
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Some Security Ideas?

I live in an area of Indiana where thieves CRAVE muscle cars.Anything loud and cool looking is pretty much the main target.So like i was saying,Trans Ams and camaros are constantly being stolen. Also,dad showed his buddies at work my car and all of them agreed my car will be stolen within 6 months of it being plated

Anyways, I know,of course, an alarm is the main component in car security. Right now im attempting to find one of the alarms that send you the Keychain where if someone touches a part of your car,that key chain makes a sound/vibrates and shows you.
Also considering a kill switch. But not mounting it somewhere that a thief could easily disconnect,like a battery cut off. I was thinking about wiring a cut off switch to the fuel pump? That way the car wont start and they wont be able to figure out why. Or maybe wiring it to the distributor?
Does anyone else have any suggestions? I cant think of much more than that. Also, im 16 so this car is my life if my girl EVER got stolen i wouldnt know what to do with myself. Thanks guys
-Dylan N
Old 06-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: LH6
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Posi
Re: Some Security Ideas?

Could always unhook the battery where ever you went lol. I know a guy who does that.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Built 4th gen 3.42 posi/disc

Back in the rockin 1980's in Houston you couldn't keep a sports car outside
without it being stolen. Hell i had two cars stolen WITH alarms as did many
of my friends. A friend came up with an idea of a ground circuit that had to
be 'touched' in order for the ignition to get power. He had it connected to
one of his dash bezel screws. He had to turn the key to the 'on' position
then touch the screw before a relay would power the ignition switch. It
was an ingenuous idea. Who would have thunk to touch a particular screw
on the dash to get ignition power. Of course this doesn't stop someone from
towing the car away as happened to my mustang. So try and park in a way
that you can turn your wheels to make it difficult to tow. Another friend
'cop' had her T-Tops stolen several times. She super glued razors on the
handles and low and behold a bloody thief was nabbed. Unfortunately the
thief sued her and she was fired from the Houston Police Department.

Also keep in mind the best theft deterrence and insurance is Smith And Wesson.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

All I can say is good luck. Locks, alarms, cutoff switches, etc. all only serve to keep honest folks honest. In the end, no matter what you do, if they want it bad enough, they'll take it - there's nothing to stop them from towing it away.

And for those that bother to break in, but can't get it rolling, they'll just have a fit and destroy it anyway after getting pissed that they couldn't drive it.

Insurance is your best plan of defense - at least get it paid for when it does happen.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z28 Camaro
Engine: 350 carbureted (swap from 305 TPI)
Transmission: 700R4 rebuilt with shift kit
Axle/Gears: 3.42

fuel pump kill switch is a clever idea. You could hide it inside your transmission console under the ash tray or somethin
Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock

what part of indiana do you live in exactly???
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 PM

Car: 88' White-Black Trans Am
Engine: Trying to find a motor
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Thanks for all of the responses guys.RubberDucky, Aha i was CONSIDERING that.But i think theyd figure it out.

@Jupiter- Thats actually a really cool idea! I like it. Definitely considering that. And about the T-tops thing ahahah jeese oh petes! Haha i mean i understand protection but my god Lol

@camaronewbie- About the insurance,i want full coverage with the option of the company replacing the value of the car.But my parents are only providing me with the smaller package due to cost

@Ewskater92-Thanks!

@evilemokid94- NWI. I know youre thinking that part isnt harsh? But where i live,theres only 2 towns you can go to where you can be sure the car wont be ripped off.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

If you wanted to really go overkill, you could install a series of switches. What I've been thinking is that one switch provides power for the others, then one each for the ECM ignition circuit, ignition, fuel pump, each bank of injectors, and the starter circuit. I have an idea where to put this, but the relays involved might be difficult to place.

But, then, I've also installed VATS from a later model car, and also a 2-way pager alarm that disables power to the VATS (aka you're still not going anywhere even if you do have the right key code resistance because there still won't be any ground to the starter enable and fuel injection enable circuits because VATS enables these systems). As I've been broken into before, I can promise that anyone breaking in will have some problems if my pager goes off .

And, as stated above, all of this is useless if the guys bring along a tow dolly or truck.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Currently have 3 cars and 1 truck.
Engine: 1970&92 Cams,both BBC's
Transmission: LS1 T-56 & PG w/vendor's
Axle/Gears: Built 10 bolt& 9inch w/spool

try,www.ravelco.com.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

The ravelco thing just disables ignition - VATS already does that. And on a non-VATS car, all I have to do is bust the ignition key cylinder to turn it to ON, and then jump the starter with a screwdriver, and off I go!

A simple ignition cut off switch inside the car would be like the VATS - a relay that doesn't get a ground until you flip a switch. But all that will do is disable the starter, which only takes a screwdriver to bump over.

Fuel pump cutoff switch would be beneficial - same thing - a simple relay that doesn't get a ground until you flip a switch - then you'd have no fuel to start/run car on.

For long-term parking, I'd yank off the coil wire - nothing will happen regardless of fuel or starter without the coil wire. But that's a PITA for parking at work, the store, or overnight (having to pop hood everytime).

LowJack would be the way to go - let them take the thing, and let them get busted 20 minutes later for GTA!

On the insurance ...

The ONLY way you can get full-value replacement insurance is by going through a "classic car" insurance company. And then, they require:

1) a garage
2) a daily driver newer than 5 years old
3) 10,000 or less miles a year driving

Cost really isn't that much more, but the requirements are stiff for most of us. Like me ... my newest car is a 1997 Camaro (I'll never ever ever own anything newer, and I'd like to get rid of that hunk-o-junk). The new car daily driver is a joke - my older cars run better than 80% of anyone's new cars, and they never ever see even an hour in the shop (since I fix them myself and keep them up better than any warranty car). I don't have a garage - I could see a tree falling - but all the trees I ever seen falling on a garage, killed the garage AND the car inside, so again a pointless requirement. And even 10,000 miles isn't enough for regular weekend driving to car shows and cruise-ins. So, screw them! I built the car once myself, I'll rebuild it (or another) again if need be. "Insurance" is just "risk management" with a different name - there is no such thing as REAL insurance anyway - because the term "insurance" implies that you are paying to ensure that your fear is never realized (and no amount of 'premium' is going to guarantee anything.