Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Help needed on steering column

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed on steering column

I have a 90 camaro rs that i'm that had a "cracked' steering column. At first it just had a lot of play in the tilt, then eventually it was so bad the key and ignition were no longer making a connection. I've never swapped these before but ripped one out of my other camaro a 91 rs. Everything seemed identical, color of the wires, harnesses brackets etc. It was plug and play. However now the car gets juice when the key is in but will not start. The "security" light is on and i don't know if i've ever seen that before. However all the dash lights are on like normal when the key is just about to start the vehicle.

Does anyone know if any programming has to be done with the new key, or any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 RS / 1989 RS
Engine: 3.1L MFI / Vortec 383 TBI
Transmission: T5 / LS-T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open / 3.73 Eaton posi
Re: Help needed on steering column

Which key are you using? The one for the column you swapped in is my guess. The black pellet on your key is a resistor and your car's VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) module is set to the resistance of the key from the original column. You either need to swap the ignition lock cylinder so you can use the original key, or bypass the VATS system by the article here...

https://www.thirdgen.org/vats

EDIT: After re-reading, I see you are using the key for the new column. Easiest thing to do is bypass VATS, but use a resistor equal to the value of the pellet in your original key.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

Or you could just find out which key resistance your old key has, and get your new key cut on that blank to fit your new switch. Most decent locksmiths can do this
Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM

How do I go about measuring the resistance of the old key? Thanks for the help you guys.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

put probes from an ohmmeter on both sides of the pellet, or let the locksmith you're getting the new key made from do it
Old 09-30-2011, 08:09 PM

Locksmith today told me i could simply take the resister out of the old key and put it into the new key with the new column. I tapped it out and put it in to the new key and the security light now flashes for about 4 seconds then goes out. Im thinking that issues is cleared hopefully. Outside of the lights though, and of the gauges moving when I push the key all the way forward there is nothing when the key is engaged to start. No click no relay/solenoid sound nothing. Checked all fuses with a test light and have looked at all wires on the steering column. Any ideas where i should go from here? Didn't look to see if the starter is hot, but I don't here anything so I'm thinking its somewere before that. Before the new steering column the car ran great with no problems. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.